Mailing List Archive

FYI: MythTV on Celeron 1.1GHz
I (finally) have MythTV working on my system, although when watching TV Live the
picture is like slow motion, with some jerks but apparently without losing
frames. Sound is normal - doesn't seem to be affected by slow motion picture.
Separate recording and playback are fine.

I believe the CPU can't keep up with live TV, although the hard disk may
contribute to the problem. Here is the data on my system for your information.

Celeron 1.1 GHz, 256KB PC133 RAM, VT133 chip (BTC motherboard), AverTV video
capture. On board audio and VGA (set to 1024x768). RedHat 9 (KDE), MythTV 0.8
from RPMs, Alsa Driver 0.9.3a. (Running MythTV froze my system before I
switched to the Alsa driver.)

CPU%
Task** mythbackend mythfrontend system
------ ----------- ------------ ------------
Live TV* 75-93% 3-4% 5-8%
Recording 52-61% 0.9-5%
Playback 25-33% 2.5-5.1%

* CPU state seems to be about 85% user and 5-8% system. I have about 3.5MB free
memory and swap used is <1MB.

** All with MythTV's default settings, e.g. 480x480 recording.

I used "top" in a different desktop under X, so some initial percentages where
different when I switched to the desktop with top. Above are steady-state
values while viewing top's output.

So I think this shows a CPU bottleneck - unless a slow hard disk is causing
MythTV to eat up some CPU. This is unlikely unless MythTV is polling the disk
I/O completion or availability.

xvinfo shows one screen and two adapters: "video4linux" and "Trident Backend
Scaler". Linux did not automatically detect the video card so I manually set my
Video Card type to "Trident Blade 3D(generic)". I ran "dga" (hitting "b" key)
and it reports write speed of around 55,000K/s and read speed of about 8,500K/s.

I ran top and increase the speed (hit s, set to .3) Then ran hdparm -t
dev/hda -- saw hdparm peak at 25%, but most reading were lower.

hdparm -c -d tells me 32-bit I/O is on and DMA is on.
hdparm -tT tells me buffer-cache reads are 89.51 MB/sec but buffered disk
reads on 10.11 MB/sec which does not seem good! (should be about 40 according
to other MythTV posts)

Other /dev/hda settings:
multcount 16(on)
unmasking on
readahead 8(0n)

/proc/ide/hda/cache says 512. Some other posts to the MythTV list have it set
to 2048. (Can't figure out how to change it.)

The disk is ExcelStor Technology ES3220, 5400rpm, 9.5ms, 2mb cache, S.M.A.R.T,
Ultra ATA 33/66.

elevator settings: read_latency 2048, write_latency 8192.

Hope this info helps somebody.

Vince
Re: FYI: MythTV on Celeron 1.1GHz [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 11 May 2003 11:25:00 -0700
Vince Busam <vince@busam.com> wrote:

> I (finally) have MythTV working on my system, although when watching
> TV Live the picture is like slow motion, with some jerks but
> apparently without losing frames. Sound is normal - doesn't seem to
> be affected by slow motion picture. Separate recording and playback
> are fine.
>
> I believe the CPU can't keep up with live TV, although the hard disk
> may contribute to the problem. Here is the data on my system for your
> information.

When running with a minimal windowmanager (KDE eats too much CPU/RAM) I
can manage LiveTV on my Celeron 1.1A (with the big metal heatspreader -
the 1.1, without it, is different (slower, less cache)), I can easily do
352x480 MPEG-4 LiveTV 2200kbps, or 320x480 High-Quality MPEG-4 LiveTV
2200 kbps (though I use 1900kbps (low disk space) - this one actually
looks better than 352x480!).

On my 20" TV set the 320x480 setting looks as good as a straight signal
(apart from when the screen is all black, which shows some pixelation).

I was able to do some 480x480 captures with RTjpeg, but they didn't look
anywhere near as good as my 320x480 settings, so it wasn't
worth it.

My hard disk is a little faster than yours, but do the math: 2200kbps
(default bitrate) is still much less than the 10 Mbytes/s you're
getting, so I think yours should be enough.

Pete
Re: FYI: MythTV on Celeron 1.1GHz [ In reply to ]
At 03:13 PM 5/11/03 -0400, Pierre-Olivier Bouchard wrote:

>When running with a minimal windowmanager (KDE eats too much CPU/RAM)

I've just started putting my system together this weekend, and I've been
looking for a lot of last night and all of today for some clear
instructions on how to run Red Hat 9 with something besides KDE or Gnome
and I'm getting nowhere. Yes, I know I should be able to hack .xinitrc or
some such, and I could (and if necessary will) eventually trial and error
it, but if someone has a pointer to some online instructions somewhere I'd
appreciate it.
Re: FYI: MythTV on Celeron 1.1GHz [ In reply to ]
Pete Hartman wrote:

> At 03:13 PM 5/11/03 -0400, Pierre-Olivier Bouchard wrote:
>
>> When running with a minimal windowmanager (KDE eats too much CPU/RAM)
>
> I've just started putting my system together this weekend, and I've
> been looking for a lot of last night and all of today for some clear
> instructions on how to run Red Hat 9 with something besides KDE or
> Gnome and I'm getting nowhere. Yes, I know I should be able to hack
> .xinitrc or some such, and I could (and if necessary will) eventually
> trial and error it, but if someone has a pointer to some online
> instructions somewhere I'd appreciate it.

I start X/myth in multiple steps:
1- Mythbackend is started through gentoo's rc scripts (there are rc
scripts for redhat too, I guess)
2- My "rc.local" (I think that's how it's named in redhat) runs the command:
xinit /home/xinitrc > /home/mythstartup.log 2>&1 &
3- xinit loads X, and then reads the xinitrc file to see which apps to
load... here it is:
#!/bin/bash
flwm &
amixer sset Line 100% mute cap &
irexec &
irxevent &
xset -dpms s off
mythfrontend > /home/mythfrontend.log
nvtv -t -r 800,600 -S NTSC -s Small --set Flicker:100 &
4- Enjoy myth! =)

This should work fine with RedHat too (unless they're doing something
weird/wrong...)

Pete
Re: FYI: MythTV on Celeron 1.1GHz [ In reply to ]
> nvtv -t -r 800,600 -S NTSC -s Small --set Flicker:100 &

what's this do? (I'm unfamiliar with nvtv)

As for me, I'm running Redhat 9, and at the advice of a frield, I use a
.Xclients file:

#!/bin/bash

#Start a window manager
blackbox &
#Start the IR event server
/usr/bin/irxevent &

#Start MythTV
/usr/bin/mythfrontend

----

First, I logged in via gnome and used redhat's tools to set it up to
auto-login as my myth user, and then told GDM to use the "default"
window manager instead of Gnome (default will load the ~/.Xclients
file).

I grabbed the blackbox rpm from freshrpm's redhat 8 repository. The src
wouldn't compile, but the binary seems to work just fine. (they don't
have one in their redhat 9 repository yet).

mythbackend and lirc start via the sysV init stuff...

-Chris
Re: FYI: MythTV on Celeron 1.1GHz [ In reply to ]
Chris Petersen wrote:

>> nvtv -t -r 800,600 -S NTSC -s Small --set Flicker:100 &
>>

>what's this do? (I'm unfamiliar with nvtv)

It sets the tv-out to 800x600 (only way to have a decently scaled image
with my TV-encoder), sets the Tv-out to NTSC (nvtv seems to default to
PAL), uses the "Small" 800x600 nvtv profile (the ones you see in the
GUI), and sets flicker to 100, the most bearable to my eyes.

All this is explained if you do 'nvtv --help', though.

Pete