trying to follow...

What about having an online forum/bb, possibly using PHPBB?? (Or is
there already one I just don't know about?)
Re: This list is getting high traffic.. what about a forum/bb ?? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 12:42:50AM -0500, Ben Davis wrote:
> I've noticed lately that the Myth-users llist is getting pretty high
> traffic.. this is a great thing, except that it gets harder and harder
> to navigate through messages in my inbox, and keep track of the ones I'm
> trying to follow...
>
> What about having an online forum/bb, possibly using PHPBB?? (Or is
> there already one I just don't know about?)

I can set one up if need be on my server....

--
:wq!

Matthew Daubenspeck
http://www.oddprocess.org
Re: This list is getting high traffic.. what about a forum/bb ?? [ In reply to ]
> I've noticed lately that the Myth-users llist is getting pretty high
> traffic.. this is a great thing, except that it gets harder and harder
> to navigate through messages in my inbox, and keep track of the ones I'm
> trying to follow...

high traffic? I haven't been on this list long, but 20-30 messages per
day isn't exactly high traffic (compared to others I've frequented -
spamassassin, mysql, courier, etc).

Does your email client have message threading ability? that's the best
way to keep track of things.

> What about having an online forum/bb, possibly using PHPBB?? (Or is
> there already one I just don't know about?)

I've found some forums online, but honestly, having to check one more
place for info gets really annoying.

-Chris
Re: This list is getting high traffic.. what about a forum/bb ?? [ In reply to ]

>Does your email client have message threading ability? that's the best
>way to keep track of things.

Well, I use mozilla, I know its newsreader does that, but I'm not sure
how to get it to work in the normal mail reader...

>>What about having an online forum/bb, possibly using PHPBB?? (Or is
>>there already one I just don't know about?)
>>

>I've found some forums online, but honestly, having to check one more
>place for info gets really annoying.

Well, the thing I like about forums is that you can mark which topics
you want to follow, and it will email you responses to those topics if
you wish.

I guess its no big deal.. Just a thought ;-)
Re: This list is getting high traffic.. what about a forum/bb ?? [ In reply to ]
> Well, I use mozilla, I know its newsreader does that, but I'm not sure
> how to get it to work in the normal mail reader...

View -> Sort By -> Thread

-Chris
Re: This list is getting high traffic.. what about a forum/bb ?? [ In reply to ]
Or how about a WikiWiki?

I personally like the software used at www.Wikipedia.org
I believe it is called phpwiki. It's opensource.

RE: This list is getting high traffic.. what about a forum/bb ?? [ In reply to ]
This was brought up on the list before, IIRC Isaac hates wikis.

Re: This list is getting high traffic.. what about a forum/bb ?? [ In reply to ]

There are currently forums at http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/ and
http://pvr.forceconstant.com/ that do just that.

--

Mark Cooper
http://netmangler.sourceforge.net - Network Management with Attitude
Re: This list is getting high traffic.. what about a forum/bb ?? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 11 May 2003 01:42 am, Ben Davis wrote:
> I've noticed lately that the Myth-users llist is getting pretty high
> traffic.. this is a great thing, except that it gets harder and harder
> to navigate through messages in my inbox, and keep track of the ones I'm
> trying to follow...
>
> What about having an online forum/bb, possibly using PHPBB?? (Or is
> there already one I just don't know about?)

Use a better mail reader.

Isaac
Re: This list is getting high traffic.. what about a forum/bb ?? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 00:42:50AM -0500, Ben Davis wrote:
> I've noticed lately that the Myth-users llist is getting pretty high
> traffic.. this is a great thing, except that it gets harder and harder
> to navigate through messages in my inbox, and keep track of the ones I'm
> trying to follow...

Personally, I'd love to see the Myth lists on gmane.org. (mail to NNTP
gateway) The nature of newsgroups means nntp software generally has
better threading and thread watching/ignoring capabilities.

Rob