Is anyone using MythMkMovie on Redhat 8?
It uses Curses. Redhat 8 has "New" Curses,
or ncurses. They should behave the same, but
the mkmovie script looks for curses. Anyone
know a way around this?

Thanks,

Mike

http://search.yahoo.com
Re: MythMkMovie on Redhat 8 Problem [ In reply to ]
I'll answer my own question. I couldn't find
Perl Curses for Redhat 8. But, I did find
an RPM for Mandrake. Had to --force it, but
it seems to be working now.

Mike

http://search.yahoo.com
Re: MythMkMovie on Redhat 8 Problem [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 21:52:47PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> I'll answer my own question. I couldn't find
> Perl Curses for Redhat 8. But, I did find
> an RPM for Mandrake. Had to --force it, but
> it seems to be working now.

I got confused by that one too... If hey mythmkmovie author is reading,
If you could change the "couldn't find Curses" error to something that
explicitly mention that it's the perl Curses module that's missing, it
might be helpful.

Rob
Re: MythMkMovie on Redhat 8 Problem [ In reply to ]
From: Mike Smith <easygreenus@yahoo.com>

> Is anyone using MythMkMovie on Redhat 8?
>It uses Curses. Redhat 8 has "New" Curses,
>or ncurses. They should behave the same, but
>the mkmovie script looks for curses. Anyone
>know a way around this?

I solved it by writing my own perl script
that doesn't use curses :-)

I'll bet the majority of people would rather
use a curses based script than a non-curses
menu based script, so I'll refrain from posting
mine. However, if there are any other
weirdos like me that would like to see it,
let me know.

-Dennis

http://search.yahoo.com
Re: MythMkMovie on Redhat 8 Problem [ In reply to ]
Hey Mike I will answer your own question too. [ mkmovie works great btw]

To get curses to work on RH 8 get the source package from mandrake and apply the patch ( Curses-1.06-fix-Perl_sv_isa.patch.bz2) created in the SOURCE dir to the original source from cpan.org

you should have the following line (at line 275) in Curses.c when your done.

if (Perl_sv_isa(sv, "Curses::Window")) {
WINDOW *ret = (WINDOW *)SvIV((SV*)SvRV(sv));
return ret;

Kyle