the title bar positioning.

the video looks a little washed-out (and extra-dark in some areas)
compared to actual tv and xawtv's display. Is there anywhere that I can
tweak the brightness/contrast settings? Or is this just an artifact of
the video encoding?

And a question... If I schedule a recording, and then try to watch tv
when it's supposed to be recording, what happens?

-Chris
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 22:38:08PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> so I got things (mythtv, no extras yet) mostly working.. and now I
> have a couple of questions/comments...
>
> I'm running it from within gnome in redhat 9, and though the frontend
> side of things goes fullscreen, the tv half still shows a window title
> bar, and is covered up by the panel. Any way to get around this? I've
> messed with the alignment stuff in the mythtv setup, but nothing changes
> the title bar positioning.

I'd recommend running MythTV in a more lightweight window manager (i.e.
blackbox, fluxbox), especially if you're going to use it as a
standalone. No need for the extra bloat of a large wm (Not just
code/memory footprint, but also extra features like this that get in the
way)

> the video looks a little washed-out (and extra-dark in some areas)
> compared to actual tv and xawtv's display. Is there anywhere that I can
> tweak the brightness/contrast settings? Or is this just an artifact of
> the video encoding?

Check out keys.txt

> And a question... If I schedule a recording, and then try to watch tv
> when it's supposed to be recording, what happens?

Why not try it? Go into the EPG, tell it to start recording something
that's playing now, and then back out, and the try to watch TV.

Thinking of that though, I did see a nice feature for the first time
today. Probably not actually new, or just the first time I've run into
it, but I was watching live TV, and a transparent box popped up over
the video saying something like "Show XYZ is supposed to start recording
in 30 seconds. Would you like to:" and then the choices were something
like a) Change channels, starte recording and continue watching. b)
Record and don't watch, exiting back to the menu. c) Skip the recording
and continue watching TV.

Gotta say I really like that feature. ;)

Rob
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
> I'd recommend running MythTV in a more lightweight window manager (i.e.
> blackbox, fluxbox), especially if you're going to use it as a
> standalone. No need for the extra bloat of a large wm (Not just
> code/memory footprint, but also extra features like this that get in the
> way)

yeah, makes sense. I'm just not particularly familiar with hooking them
up in redhat. more playing around, I guess.

> Check out keys.txt

aha, thanks. still doesn't look quite right. but I think it's now the
video codec.

> Why not try it? Go into the EPG, tell it to start recording something
> that's playing now, and then back out, and the try to watch TV.

well, I tried. my recording never appeared, and the tv worked fine.

ok, on to another question... I've tried to compile mythmusic and
mythweather, but both result in:

make: *** No rule to make target `/mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf', needed
by `Makefile'. Stop.

the file is right there in /usr/lib/qt-3.1/ so I'm not quite
understanding what I'm missing. I don't use QT/KDE, so I'm new to
compiling software for it. any help?

-Chris
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
> Check out keys.txt

ok, now that I can change these settings, is there any way to revert
them to default? I've messed them up considerably (because it takes
awhile for things to catch up, I overshoot, etc). I can't find anything
in the db that looks like contrast. and nothing in my ~/.mythtv/
directory...

dunno. things still don't look/feel quite right compared to regular
tv. I really need to figure out how to set up (and enable) a more
stripped-down window manager (or none at all, if that's possible).. oh
well. more tomorrow. time to actually spend time with my wife. :)

-Chris
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
Chris Petersen wrote:
>>Check out keys.txt
>

> ok, now that I can change these settings, is there any way to revert
> them to default? I've messed them up considerably (because it takes
> awhile for things to catch up, I overshoot, etc). I can't find anything
> in the db that looks like contrast. and nothing in my ~/.mythtv/
> directory...

If you want to get your color back to 50% for all channels,
you could do this:

mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
mysql> update channel set colour=32768;

What I found recently is that, for each of the cards I
tried, white is out of proportion compared to medium tones.
I had thought this might be a gamma problem but lowering
the contrast on the capture card made the images much more
life-like:

mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
mysql> update channel set contrast=28000;

Hope this helps,

-- bjm
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
ok, after chatting with a friend who knows more about X11 than I do, I
decided to go with the .Xclients approach and just start myth itself
instead of a window manager... All of this seems to work just fine,
but once I start viewing the tv, I lose control of mythfrontend - no key
input will control it and I'm forced to kill the process. Does anyone
else know anything about this behavior? It also acts this way when I
log in via redhat's "Failsafe" window manager (fvwm, I think, but not
sure) and run mythfrontend from the command prompt.

Also, any help with that compile error in mythmusic/etc would be
appreciated...

-CHris
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
> Also, any help with that compile error in mythmusic/etc would be
> appreciated...

nevermind. I must have missed that section in the README file.. Now I
just have some normal compile-type errors like not being able to find
libraries and include files that are already there (probably related to
using the mythtv rpm, among other things)

now (on just about every myth-related thing I try to compile), I get:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmyth-0.8

the file is THERE:

/usr/lib/libmyth-0.8.so.0
/usr/lib/libmyth-0.8.so.0.8
/usr/lib/libmyth-0.8.so.0.8.0

dunno. anyone else run into this problem before?

mythmusic is having trouble finding some .h files that are also where
they're supposed to be:

cdda_interface.h: No such file or directory
(among others)

the files are in /usr/include/cdda/ and the includes work fine when I
add "cdda/" to the #include statement. But I'd rather not do that to
every single occurrence of the files, since I'm guessing I'm just
missing something in the makefile (I'm a perl/php coder, and unfamiliar
with *nix compilers)... any help?

-Chris
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 10 May 2003 08:34 pm, Chris Petersen wrote:
> ok, after chatting with a friend who knows more about X11 than I do, I
> decided to go with the .Xclients approach and just start myth itself
> instead of a window manager... All of this seems to work just fine,
> but once I start viewing the tv, I lose control of mythfrontend - no key
> input will control it and I'm forced to kill the process. Does anyone
> else know anything about this behavior? It also acts this way when I
> log in via redhat's "Failsafe" window manager (fvwm, I think, but not
> sure) and run mythfrontend from the command prompt.

You need to use a window manager to manage keyboard focus between windows.

> Also, any help with that compile error in mythmusic/etc would be
> appreciated...

You don't have QTDIR set.

Isaac
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
> You need to use a window manager to manage keyboard focus between windows.

ahh, gotcha. ok, twm has title bars, fvwm has multiple desktops and a
visible switcher... ah, fvwm2 seems to work (sometimes I hate deciding
to stick with rpm's instead of just compiling my own stuff).. oh well,
it works fine now, thanks.

-Chris
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 10 May 2003 09:11 pm, Chris Petersen wrote:
> now (on just about every myth-related thing I try to compile), I get:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmyth-0.8
>
> the file is THERE:
>
> /usr/lib/libmyth-0.8.so.0
> /usr/lib/libmyth-0.8.so.0.8
> /usr/lib/libmyth-0.8.so.0.8.0
>
> dunno. anyone else run into this problem before?

Try creating a libmyth-0.8.so symlink in /usr/lib. The rpm should be creating
it for you, but...

> mythmusic is having trouble finding some .h files that are also where
> they're supposed to be:
>
> cdda_interface.h: No such file or directory
> (among others)
>
> the files are in /usr/include/cdda/ and the includes work fine when I
> add "cdda/" to the #include statement. But I'd rather not do that to
> every single occurrence of the files, since I'm guessing I'm just
> missing something in the makefile (I'm a perl/php coder, and unfamiliar
> with *nix compilers)... any help?

You can add an include path to the compile globally by adding it to
settings.pro or mythmusic/mythmusic.pro (see, for example, mythtv's
settings.pro file).

Isaac
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
> Try creating a libmyth-0.8.so symlink in /usr/lib. The rpm should be creating
> it for you, but...

ahh, so I see. works now, thanks. maybe I should make some of my own
rpm's like I do with everything else.

> You can add an include path to the compile globally by adding it to
> settings.pro or mythmusic/mythmusic.pro (see, for example, mythtv's
> settings.pro file).

ahh. settings.pro is new to me. thanks, that also seems to help.

-Chris
Re: well, I got it (mostly) working... [ In reply to ]
Make sure your QTDIR environment variable is set properly.

-JAC