Here's some background on the problem: When I start MythTV (which
starts in fullscreen mode) it looks like a badly-shuffled deck of cards.
In other words, the output is devided up into tiny pixel-high
horizontall lines, and each of them is displaced. I can't really think
of a better way to explain it. If I keep the output in a maximized
window mode, and move it slightly to the left or right, it fixes itself
-- No more lines. But when I move it back towards the center, the lines
get displaced again.
Re: Could it be a problem with xv ?? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 05 May 2003 11:25 am, Ben Davis wrote:
> Ina desparate attempt to figure out the answer to my problem (see below)
> I used the "NO_XV" environment variable to disable XV while I used
> MythTV so I could take a screenshot.
>
> Unfortunately, my problem did not seem to appear when I disabled XV.
> So, could this be an XV problem? Does anyone have any ideas of other
> ways I can narrow down the source of this problem?
>
> Here's some background on the problem: When I start MythTV (which
> starts in fullscreen mode) it looks like a badly-shuffled deck of cards.
> In other words, the output is devided up into tiny pixel-high
> horizontall lines, and each of them is displaced. I can't really think
> of a better way to explain it. If I keep the output in a maximized
> window mode, and move it slightly to the left or right, it fixes itself
> -- No more lines. But when I move it back towards the center, the lines
> get displaced again.

It very well could be an issue with Xv support in your video card driver, yes.
Have you tried playing with the overscan/offset numbers in setup? Might be
able to sort of replicate moving the window around with that.

Isaac

Re: Could it be a problem with xv ?? [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Monday 05 May 2003 11:25 am, Ben Davis wrote:
>

>>In a desparate attempt to figure out the answer to my problem (see below)
>>I used the "NO_XV" environment variable to disable XV while I used
>>MythTV so I could take a screenshot.
>>
>>Unfortunately, my problem did not seem to appear when I disabled XV.
>>So, could this be an XV problem? Does anyone have any ideas of other
>>ways I can narrow down the source of this problem?
>>
>>Here's some background on the problem: When I start MythTV (which
>>starts in fullscreen mode) it looks like a badly-shuffled deck of cards.
>>In other words, the output is devided up into tiny pixel-high
>>horizontall lines, and each of them is displaced. I can't really think
>>of a better way to explain it. If I keep the output in a maximized
>>window mode, and move it slightly to the left or right, it fixes itself
>>-- No more lines. But when I move it back towards the center, the lines
>>get displaced again.
>>

>It very well could be an issue with Xv support in your video card driver, yes.
>Have you tried playing with the overscan/offset numbers in setup? Might be
>able to sort of replicate moving the window around with that.
>
>Isaac

Well, I tried changing around the offset/overscan options and they
didn't work very well. Sometimes I would change it and I would go back
and the preference was not saved.. Anyways, when I did get it to save
the preference, the offsets did not effect the output in any way. I set
the horizontal offset to 20 and it didn't offset the image at all... I
really wish I knew what the hell was going on here.. and I also wish
someone else could see it w/ their own eyes :-(
Re: Could it be a problem with xv ?? [ In reply to ]
Ok, I've finally found out it most likeley IS a problem with XV... I
just downloaded OGLE dvd player, and I have the exact same
fullscreen/crappy-looking issues.

Is there anyone out there that may have any experience with XV that can
help me troubleshoot this problem? or should I *gasp* email the xv lists?

~Ben

Re: Could it be a problem with xv ?? [ In reply to ]
At 08:04 AM 5/6/2003 -0500, Ben Davis wrote:
>Ok, I've finally found out it most likeley IS a problem with XV... I just
>downloaded OGLE dvd player, and I have the exact same
>fullscreen/crappy-looking issues.
>
>Is there anyone out there that may have any experience with XV that can
>help me troubleshoot this problem? or should I *gasp* email the xv lists?

If you know of any "xv lists", I'd be interested in references to them.

As to your problem ... I went back over your prior messages (all the ones I
still had, anyway) and I notice that you haven't reported any details about
your video-out setup ... like what version of X, what X server, and what
actual video card are involved. (Also what Linux distro.)

I don't know whether you will be able to get help here or not. I do know
you won't be able to get help anywhere without providing those details. xv
implementations are X-server specific, so any problem is most likely tied
to your particular server/card combo.
Re: Could it be a problem with xv ?? [ In reply to ]
Ray Olszewski wrote:

> I don't know whether you will be able to get help here or not. I do
> know you won't be able to get help anywhere without providing those
> details. xv implementations are X-server specific, so any problem is
> most likely tied to your particular server/card combo.

Good point.. I keep forgetting people don't have telepathy :-)

Software:
Gentoo linux
2.4.2 kernel w/ bytesex.org v4l patches, among others
XFree86 4.3.0-r1
xv 3.10
nvidia driver 1.0.4363

Hardware:
ASUS A7v333 mobo
AthlonXP 1800+
GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x
Using DVI output to Dell 1900fp

I'm beginning to wonder if it's my kernel.. I'm using a patched version
of the kernel from gentoo, which provides performance enhancing features
(like low latency scheduling, etc).. however I had replace the v4l
sources in this because their patches for v4l were out of date.
Re: Could it be a problem with xv ?? [ In reply to ]
kf0yn@mchsi.com wrote:

>>Software:
>> Gentoo linux
>> 2.4.2 kernel w/ bytesex.org v4l patches, among others
>>

>I think maybe you mean 2.4.20 here? :-)
>
>I'm curious as to whether you've tried any of the adjustments in nvtv.

yes I meant 2.4.20.. sorry..

Also, if you read my hardware specs you'll see that I'm using DVI output
to my flat panel monitor.. I have no use for nvtv at the moment.

~Ben