recover though. I've verified that my mplayer setting are correct as
the movie plays very nicely if I just execute the raw command listed in
mythvideo-settings.txt

I know its just something stupid....

-Joshua Bernstein
Systems Analyst
University of Arizona
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Re: Playing a Video freezes the GUI [ In reply to ]
I had a problem like this, it was caused by mplayer didnt pipe the error
messages correctly. Adding < /dev/null & to the end made mplayer happy. I dont
know if you have the same problem but it sounds like it.

The line for .divx files would then be:
divx_helper=mplayer -fs -vm -zoom -nolirc -quiet %s < /dev/null &

Cheers,
Joel

RE: Playing a Video freezes the GUI [ In reply to ]
RE: Playing a Video freezes the GUI [ In reply to ]
I've never had a problem with MPlayer & DivX files with the stock
mythvideo-settings.txt file. But that's probably because I don't get any
error messages. Perhaps something on his system is causing MPlayer to barf
up some errors? In any event, it's probably not a bad thing to add.

-Joe C.

Re: Playing a Video freezes the GUI [ In reply to ]
At 06:14 PM 5/5/2003 -0700, Joshua Bernstein wrote:
>So after adding that line, it still doesn't work... Something is weird...
>If I run Myth as root it works GREAT! but if I'm running it as my
>"mediauser" it freezes...
>
>Its got to be a permissions problem to the X display, no?

No (or at least I do not think so). But first an aside ...

Because of the way the Myth GUI hides X, there is no trivial way to look at
STDERR to get a better sense of what is going on. There are perhaps better
workarounds, but this one worked for me. I used Myth's configuration screen
to make the Myth GUI smaller than screen size (600 x440 on a 640x480
display). This gave me access to the X WM's (blackbox) control bar at the
bottom of the screen, which I could then use to switch to the xterms I'd
used to start mythfrontend and mythbackend. THis let me see what STDERR
output each was generating

Now, a guess about your problem -- it is a permissions problem but not with
X. Instead, ordinary-user you does not have access to some device (e.g.,
/dev/dsp) that mplayer needs to work. It (mplayer) tries to tell you this
but you can't see the error output so are stuck with killing X itself (the
only thing you can do, given your restricted access to the X WM).

This part is just a guess. The real advice is that you need to devise a way
to see STDERR to figure out what is really up. Perhaps others can suggest
better workarounds than this fairly clumsy and ugly one I've contrived.
Re: Playing a Video freezes the GUI [ In reply to ]
> to see STDERR to figure out what is really up. Perhaps others can suggest
> better workarounds than this fairly clumsy and ugly one I've contrived.

You can use alt-tab to switch between windows.