so, would hate to be wasting my money if users are not happy with it.

Thanks,
Jeff
RE: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
Robert-

How much larger? I was under the impression that although the card can use
all sorts of bitrates, the driver was locked at a certain bitrate
(something like 16megabits/sec, which came out to about 7.2GB per hour),
which scared me away from using the card.

In light of the CompUSA thing going on, my curiosity has again been piqued,
but I've only got a 40GB drive, and 7GB/hr would be somewhat problematic
for me.

Thanks for any insight.

-Jeff

"Robert Kulagowski"
<rkulagowski@thrupoint To: "'Discussion about mythtv'" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
.net> cc:
Sent by: Subject: RE: [mythtv-users] PVR-250 quality?
mythtv-users-bounces@s
nowman.net

04/28/2003 03:37 PM
Please respond to
Discussion about
mythtv

RE: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
With my current Wintv card I get much better audio quality using btaudio
rather than the pass-thru cable. Thats why I was wondering if the
btaudion module worked with the PVR-250 so I could still use it the same
way.

Re: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
Re: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
> Looks better, sounds better. Uses a higher bitrate though, so the
> files are larger.

By default, but doesn't have to be. I just modified my ivtv driver to
use 2mbit/8mbit max instead of the default 8mbit/16mbit max, and the
quality is still good. At some point the driver will support changing
this without having to recompile..

-jim
Re: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
jeff@burstable.net wrote:

>With my current Wintv card I get much better audio quality using btaudio
>rather than the pass-thru cable. Thats why I was wondering if the
>btaudion module worked with the PVR-250 so I could still use it the same
>way.

btaudio provides /dev/dsp, a soundcard interface for (in this case)
reading/recording uncompressed audio, matching the /dev/video to
read/record the uncompressed video.

The PVR card compresses itself and of course includes audio in the MPEG
stream, so it reads the audio internally and MythTV reads it together
with the video stream in a single MPEG stream.

No need for btaudio or the like.
Re: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
> With my current Wintv card I get much better audio quality using btaudio
> rather than the pass-thru cable. Thats why I was wondering if the
> btaudion module worked with the PVR-250 so I could still use it the same
> way.

You don't need it -- the audio is muxed into the MPEG stream. There
are no passthrough cables; effectively you're getting btaudio
functionality automatically.

-jim
RE: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
RE: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
Re: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
Does the ivtv driver use static rate encoding or variable rate encoding?
This would make a huge difference in how much space the mpeg takes up.

schu

Re: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
> Does the ivtv driver use static rate encoding or variable rate encoding?
> This would make a huge difference in how much space the mpeg takes up.

Variable, 8Mbps base, 16Mbps peak, is the default.

-jim
RE: PVR-250 quality? [ In reply to ]
So, what resolution was that show recorded at?