Mailing List Archive

WinTV PVR 250 question
To anyone knowledgeable about the PVR 250: Any ideas
if it will coexist with a non HW MPEG encoder card
under Myth? I currently have an Hauuppauge 401 card
(BT878 chip) and I was thinking of getting a PVR 250
to go along side it.

I want to operate on a merged frontend/backend
architecture and I figured this would help offload
some of the processing load. My goal (like many
others!) is a system that can encode two shows while
watching a third simultaneously at a good quality
setting.

I was thinking I could get away with this with a good
modern motherboard (Asus A7266-ish), Athlon 2400, 256
MB RAM, fast HD (maybe even RAID) and those two cards.

I've read the stats people have posted and it seems
reasonable to me (assuming Myth can handle
differentiating between a HW encoder and a SW encoder
sitting side by side simultaneously), anyone have any
experience or further information to help clarify
this? Would I need a dual PVR-250 to pull it off?
Faster system? Or could I get away with a slower
system even?

- Jason

PS: I'm also interested in the selling Myth-boxes
idea, I (like others apparently) have had the same
idea, and friends asking me to build them one. However
time is obviously an issue, I would want to streamline
the installation before I pursued it much. (There is
no way I am going to spend as many hours on all my
friend's boxes as my own, it's just too time consuming
unfortunately!)

But I think it's an awesome idea that allows people to
see Linux is a good thing and get out from the
constant-commercial/fee-based/DRM advertising/cable
company/Windows monopoly world we live in. (Don't get
me wrong, I like and use their products, just not
their business models!) Lots of companies are offering
PVR boxes now but they are all going to support flags
from the broadcasters telling you what you can and
can't do. (Like, say, skip commercials or record your
favorite show/movie!)

http://search.yahoo.com
Re: WinTV PVR 250 question [ In reply to ]
On Monday 28 April 2003 11:05 am, Jason S wrote:
> To anyone knowledgeable about the PVR 250: Any ideas
> if it will coexist with a non HW MPEG encoder card
> under Myth? I currently have an Hauuppauge 401 card
> (BT878 chip) and I was thinking of getting a PVR 250
> to go along side it.

I'm currently running with a wintv-radio (bt878) and a pvr-250, so, everything
works just fine =)

Isaac