any suggestions/pointers/obvious things i've somehow missed?

cheers,

CraigL->Thx();
Re: ivtv problems [ In reply to ]
> anyway, my first problem is with the ivtv thing. where can i ask
> questions about this? the homepage is remarkably empty of any
> help.

The FAQ has a lot of useful info. http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html
You can also check the mailing list (on the sourceforge project page).

-jim
Re: ivtv problems [ In reply to ]
Jim Paris wrote:

>>anyway, my first problem is with the ivtv thing. where can i ask
>>questions about this? the homepage is remarkably empty of any
>>help.
>>

>The FAQ has a lot of useful info. http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html
>You can also check the mailing list (on the sourceforge project page).

the faq really didn't have too much, i had not been able to find
anything in the support or bugs pages on sourceforge, but more looking,
scrolling and searching, i found something called public forums and will
try asking my question there and wait to see what happens. thanks.

--

CraigL->Thx();
RE: ivtv problems [ In reply to ]
Also, I was told XawTV wouldn't work with it; on my Mandrake 9.1 system two
new XaWTV icons showed up, but neither worked because (don't quote me on
this) the PVR uses YUV and XaWTV doesn't know what to do with that. Myth,
however, works fine for me.

Nate
Re: ivtv problems [ In reply to ]
Nathan Ziarek wrote:

>Also, I was told XawTV wouldn't work with it; on my Mandrake 9.1 system two
>new XaWTV icons showed up, but neither worked because (don't quote me on
>this) the PVR uses YUV and XaWTV doesn't know what to do with that. Myth,
>however, works fine for me.

oh, now this might be very good news indeed. i'll continue to work with
mythtv for now then. however, seeing as i can't even do a cat
/dev/video0, i think i am still messed up. there's almost no action on
the ivtv public forums thing, so i might just end up having a useless
card again. oh well, i'm sure i can get it running elsewhere if i have to.

thanks!

CraigL->Thx();
Re: ivtv problems [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 26 April 2003 04:07 pm, Craig Longman wrote:
> Nathan Ziarek wrote:
> >Also, I was told XawTV wouldn't work with it; on my Mandrake 9.1 system
> > two new XaWTV icons showed up, but neither worked because (don't quote me
> > on this) the PVR uses YUV and XaWTV doesn't know what to do with that.
> > Myth, however, works fine for me.
>
> oh, now this might be very good news indeed. i'll continue to work with
> mythtv for now then. however, seeing as i can't even do a cat
> /dev/video0, i think i am still messed up. there's almost no action on
> the ivtv public forums thing, so i might just end up having a useless
> card again. oh well, i'm sure i can get it running elsewhere if i have to.

The drivers are alpha quality, the support code in mythtv is a couple weeks
old. Don't expect things to magically work if you've got little to no linux
experience.

Isaac
Re: ivtv problems [ In reply to ]
> >The FAQ has a lot of useful info. http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html
> >You can also check the mailing list (on the sourceforge project page).
>
> the faq really didn't have too much, i had not been able to find
> anything in the support or bugs pages on sourceforge, but more looking,
> scrolling and searching, i found something called public forums and will
> try asking my question there and wait to see what happens. thanks.

No, take a look at the mailing list archives, not the support or bugs
pages or public forums.

-jim
Re: ivtv problems [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:

>The drivers are alpha quality, the support code in mythtv is a couple weeks
>old. Don't expect things to magically work if you've got little to no linux
>experience.

i have ~7 years linux experience, the last 5 years or so i have
exclusively used linux, only recently have i needed to get a win2k
machine again for doing some marquee driver/server development for my
'day job'. but i try and keep my linux machines running reasonably
stable, so tend to not have the latest and greatest patches from every
which place lying around. i think my problems might be because there is
actually some kernel changes required to get the v4l2 working, i'm in
the process of recompiling 2.4.20 and having the v4l2 patches in place
to see if that helps. except there doesn't appear to be a proper patch
file for the v4l2 stuff i've found. gonna keep trying, reading, fixing
and trying again. however, when docs say 'just copy the videodev2.h
from the kernel source' and that file doesn't exist, it kinda
frustrating. maybe the debian kernel package in stable (2.4.18) is too
old to have this stuff in it, i don't know.

i'm hopeful when this is all said and done i can actually start
contributing some code, i had started on a project like this a while
ago, but life got in the way for a while, and with the leaps and bounds
this project has shown over the last while, it's smarter to just jump in
here.

thanks,

CraigL->Thx();