Mailing List Archive

some questions regarding hardware-setup and interesting ir-receiver
hi all,

i'm going to build a new machine as a tv-server for mythtv here at home.
it will be my old desktop-machine, a amd athlon xp 1700+ on a asus a7v266-e
with 768 mb ram...
now i'm looking for a good graphics-card, i'm thinking of getting a matrox
marvel g200 or g400, but i'm unsure if this makes sense... i've read that
mythtv has basic support for the marvel's hardware-mpeg-encode, will this be
useful? and does mythtv support the tv-chip on the marvel?
i also have a hauppauge win-tv-pci-fm, which i want to use in the server. is
the athlon xp 1700+ fast enough to handle both (if the marvel's tv-chip can
be used) cards at the same time, for example for picture in picture?

also this might be of interest for some of you - in the last issue of a well
known computer-magazine (c't) here in germany there was an article about a
tv-server... they are using a different software (vdr for digital
satellite-tv), but there was an interesting part about how they solved the
problem of getting a ir-receive next to the tv while the server itself is
placed somewhere else, without a computer next to the tv...
they've build a small embedded device with a ir-receive and a
network-interface, which receives the ir-signals and sends them via udp over
the network... in one of the folloing issues they want to give detailled
instructions how to build it! for me, this is just what i was looking for, no
disturbing loud computer next to the tv, but the ability to control mythtv
through a rc...
of course this would have to be implemented into mythtv, or maybe there could
be a small program like irxevent which receives these signals and just
emulates keystrokes...

hope someone can help me and you enjoyed this information ;-)

bye, stephan