Mailing List Archive

Good Video/Codec Setting
I settled on a good video quality for my system, i though id share it.

System:

P3/733
AverTV Stereo
Nvidia Gforce2
DirecTV via S-video
Myth .8

Im using mpeg4 with:
mpeg4bitrate 2500
mpeg4maxquality 6
mpeg4minquality 2
mpeg4qualdiff 3
mpeg4scalebitrate 0
mp3 q7

I do not drop any frames the playback looks very good. At this setting
1 hour = 1.4G

=====
Joe

http://tax.yahoo.com
Re: Good Video/Codec Setting [ In reply to ]
With the identical settings I get dropped frames on my P4 1.5Ghz box at
480x480. It looks great if I use 352x480, but still uses about 65% CPU.
I have:

P4/1.5Ghz
1G RAM
DMA set on hard drives
WinTV Go
Nvidia Geforce 4 440MX
Myth CVS as of yesterday afternoon (same issue with stable release)

Anyone have any suggestions?

--Ken

Re: Good Video/Codec Setting [ In reply to ]
Ken VanDine wrote:
> With the identical settings I get dropped frames on my P4 1.5Ghz box at
> 480x480. It looks great if I use 352x480, but still uses about 65% CPU.
> I have:
>
> P4/1.5Ghz
> 1G RAM
> DMA set on hard drives
> WinTV Go
> Nvidia Geforce 4 440MX
> Myth CVS as of yesterday afternoon (same issue with stable release)
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes. Set maxquality to 2 and minquality 15. These are
aritficial limits to tell the the encoder when things
are temporarily out of bounds and to do somethng desprate.
It is raising the bitrate that will actually imporve the
quality, not simply forcing the limits.

Leading up to the 0.8 release, it was found that distorting
these parameters is a contributing factor in creating damaged
files that cause bizarre behavior during playback. The values
suggested here are absurd and I assumed were a typo. If these
are his settings (or even if min and max are reversed), this
may be a cause of problems with finding keyframes that he
reports in another thread.

At quality limits 2,15,3 using a Duron 1.3MHz CPU, I can
record a clean signal at 720x480 mpeg4, 5500 scaled bitrate
and have an average of 17% idle CPU during recordonly and have
virtually no frame drops. However, I normally record 544x480,
4400 which looks nearly as good but saves a lot of disk space.
Even 352x480, 3300 looks okay and uses much less than 1GB per
hour.

-- bjm

setHelpText("Modifying the default may have severe consequences.");
Re:Good Video/Codec Setting [ In reply to ]
When I left the stock settings in place, the video was full of
posterization and I can't stand that I'd rather have noise. Increasing
the bitrate did nothing to help that.

Your mention of the keyframes sounds interesing but i had the same
problems before I changed the settings. I will revert the settings and
see what kind of quality/useability I get now.

Whats even weirder now is I was able to get useable video with "-oac
copy -ovc copy" by using zoomplayer and ffdshow. It seems like without
ffdshow the video is picked up with divx 5.03 and cant seem to handle
the xvid. Perhaps this is why adding -ffourcc gives people useable
video.

But I install the same software on a windows 2000 box(other box is xp)
I get no video. Same version of zoomplayer, ffdshow, and directx.

=====
Joe

http://tax.yahoo.com
Re: Good Video/Codec Setting [ In reply to ]
The two obvious things to check are:

a) xv overlay is working on X. Check CPU usage in xawtv I think should help
check?
b) check number of buffers when loading bt driver (module option)