Mailing List Archive

None
Hi All:

Just caught this post over on the V4L mailing list. Some of you may
have seen it as well.

It describes attempts to get an HDTV card up and running under linux.
Here's the card:

http://www.dvico.com/products_mul_hd.html

In reading the post, I noted the following that seem different from
the HDTV cards I've seen to date:

1. This card seems to just do the tuning & demodulation in HW and
then pipe the signal over to a SW App to decode the MPEG2(?) stream
to a TV window.

2. Apparently has a BT878 chip which linux is autodetecting.

3. Has Sony Tuner chip

4. Has Oren demodulator OR51211AHQC. On oren's support page I there
was a link to an ftp server, but anonymous access didn't seem to be
working. I was looking for a datasheet but haven't found it yet.

What's the point? Seems like this might be a good fit for Myth -- If
the board uses the BT8XX chip that bttv works with, and if it will
pass the digital MPEG2 stream straight through to a SW decoder with
no special hardware, it could be a really nice thing.

Now, I realize that you'd have to re-encode the MPEG2 into MPEG4 to
keep the file sizes managable, but, it seems like it might be a step
in the right direction for getting HDTV support on linux.

I'd love to throw out my cable bill every month and just use the
broadcast HDTV channels -- In my market, they're broadcasting
ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,WB, 2xPBS, and I think a couple more. All with clear
reception and decent sound.

That plus myth to watch TV when I want and without commercials... A
dream.

Does anyone think there's hope to get support for this card under
V4L/Myth?

JF

http://tax.yahoo.com
Re: None [ In reply to ]
Can you imagine what processing power you'll need to mpeg4 encode an
HDTV stream of say 1920x1080???

RE: None [ In reply to ]
> >Now, I realize that you'd have to re-encode the MPEG2 into MPEG4 to
> >keep the file sizes managable, but, it seems like it might be a step
> >in the right direction for getting HDTV support on linux.

> Can you imagine what processing power you'll need to mpeg4 encode an
> HDTV stream of say 1920x1080???

back of an envelope calculation. My 1Ghz machine can encode at 576x576 in RTJpeg (just), and is OK at 480x480 in MPEG 4. 1920x1080 is 9 times as many pixels as 480x480, so assuming that the encoding is proportional to number of pixels, then I guess you need around 9Ghz of processing power... (perhaps a little less)

I am about to order a "full" DVB-T card which allegedly has a V4L interface where the TV signal is already decoded and I hope to get myth to record this and re-encode (quality loss, etc). However, reading the vdr lists it appears that it is quite easy to get the raw MPEG2 and sound piped to you (and then you only need the cheap card < £70). I don't have any time to work on this at the moment at all, but perhaps in the future myth will start to integrate some of these digital tv features...
Re:None [ In reply to ]
You can find the M10000 Nehemiah at www.idot.com

They list the Ezra and Nehemiah separately. +$10 for
the Nehemiah. It's where I got mine and it shows up
under dmesg as nehemiah.

I use a matrox g200 pci for MJpeg capture, so I can't
answer if it handles mpeg4 well from a normal tv tuner
card, assuming that's what you are using.

http://search.yahoo.com
Re:None [ In reply to ]
This information is making it's way into the official channels but it is
very specific. RH9, PVR250, Sblive/Audigy!

Re:None [ In reply to ]
Oops this was meant for the other thread named "None"
>>>Greetings everyone!!

>>>I have been following this list for a while and would love to dive into
>>>using MythTV. However, the combination of factors listed in the subject
>>>line make me very nervous. If anyone out there has gotten the combination
>>>of RHL 9 and Hauppauge PVR 250 to work and would not mind doing some
>>>major hand-holding for a Linux newbie, then contact me off line at
>>>johnny_swindle@yahoo.com

>>>Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

>>>JS

>>This information is making it's way into the official channels but it is
>>very specific. RH9, PVR250, Sblive/Audigy!

>>http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250

Also utilize the Mailing list archive for searching and consolidated views
of the topics.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Users_F11/

Good Luck!