time I change the channel, it emits an annoying staticy POP at a rather
high volume. This noise does NOT occur using the sound out on the WinTV
going to the sound in on the sound-card. Besides this problem, btaudio
is functioning fine.

I'm using ALSA with kernel 2.4.20, if that makes a difference. Do other
people have this problem? I've gone back to using the pass-through
cable as the pop is so annoying.

James
Re: btaudio static on channel change [ In reply to ]
I've noticed the same thing with my TV Wonder/btaudio (ALSA - 2.4.20).
It's annoying and has always done that for me. I've just lived with it.
If someone knows a fix...

Joe

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 13:34, James Knight wrote:
> I have a WinTV dbx card, and I do have btaudio working fine, but every
> time I change the channel, it emits an annoying staticy POP at a rather
> high volume. This noise does NOT occur using the sound out on the WinTV
> going to the sound in on the sound-card. Besides this problem, btaudio
> is functioning fine.
>
> I'm using ALSA with kernel 2.4.20, if that makes a difference. Do other
> people have this problem? I've gone back to using the pass-through
> cable as the pop is so annoying.
>
> James

m0j0.j0j0 <m0j0@foofus.net>
Foofus Networks
Re: btaudio static on channel change [ In reply to ]
same here.

Chris <cisip@sprintmail.com>
Re: btaudio static on channel change [ In reply to ]
Hmmm... I just recently got btaudio working and didn't
notice it consciously. I mostly just watch recordings.
LiveTV is for primates. just kidding... but seriously...
yeah, mine does it too. :(

When I mute the audio before a channel change with the
keyboard "|", I don't hear the pop. Would this be a good
candidate for "standard behavior" when changing channels?
1. mute or fade volume down
2. do that magic channel changing stuff done now
3. un-mute or fade volume back up after a short delay
to give the tuner time to lock-on to the audio

-Chris

m0j0.j0j0 wrote

Re: btaudio static on channel change [ In reply to ]
From my quick jaunt through the bttv source code, it looks like bttv is
muting the analog output from the card whenever the video isn't in
synch. However, it does not seem to mute the output to btaudio. This
seems like something that should be fixed in the kernel, but I don't
know enough kernel programming to attempt it, or even know who to
contact about it.

James