Mailing List Archive

btaudio problems
I was going to send my dmesg and other output concerning working btaudio
setups, when I discovered mine no longer works! :(

I'd reinstalled my alsa modules, and now I only have one mixer device
(when once I had two), and I only have two dsp devices (when once I had
3). Something is messed up here, and I can't track it down.

dmesg shows the following interesting tidbits:
btaudio: driver version 0.7 loaded [digital+analog]
btaudio: Bt878 (rev 17) at 00:0d.1, irq: 10, latency: 32, mmio: 0xdf001000
btaudio: using card config "default"
btaudio: registered device dsp0 [digital]
btaudio: registered device dsp1 [analog]
btaudio: registered device mixer0

however, in /dev/sound I have:
crw------- 1 unit3 audio 14, 9 Dec 31 1969 dmmidi
crw------- 1 unit3 audio 14, 3 Dec 31 1969 dsp
crw------- 1 unit3 audio 14, 19 Dec 31 1969 dsp1
crw------- 1 unit3 audio 14, 2 Dec 31 1969 midi00
crw------- 1 unit3 audio 14, 0 Dec 31 1969 mixer

(unit3 is my currently logged in username)

Sound directed to "dsp" comes out my soundcard, so evidently "dsp0" has
disappeared into thin air. However, "mixer" belongs to btaudio
(according to the kmix display), and not to my soundblaster live!

In my /lib/modules/kernel/sound/oss, I have ALSA's snd-mixer-oss and
snd-pcm-oss, but for some reason these aren't getting loaded as the
/dev/mixer device, when they were before by Gentoo's /etc/modules.d/alsa
script.

Any ideas as to the cause of this problem would be *greatly* appreciated.

Graeme
RE: btaudio problems [ In reply to ]
> I was going to send my dmesg and other output concerning working btaudio
> setups, when I discovered mine no longer works! :(
>
> I'd reinstalled my alsa modules, and now I only have one mixer device
> (when once I had two), and I only have two dsp devices (when once I had
> 3). Something is messed up here, and I can't track it down.
>
> Any ideas as to the cause of this problem would be *greatly* appreciated.

I'm not sure how this all works under the bonnet, but I *think* it has to do with modules.conf (or conf.modules) and how you have the various alias entries setup correctly. I suspect that the re-install of alsa probably rewrote your modules.conf and removed some vital bits of setup that were needed to make btaudio work properly...
Re: btaudio problems [ In reply to ]
Edward Wildgoose wrote:

>I'm not sure how this all works under the bonnet, but I *think* it has to do with modules.conf (or conf.modules) and how you have the various alias entries setup correctly. I suspect that the re-install of alsa probably rewrote your modules.conf and removed some vital bits of setup that were needed to make btaudio work properly...

Well... under gentoo, the /etc/modules.d/alsa file is automagically
included into modules.conf when you run update-modules. However, it
could be that the reinstall of alsa messed up *that* file. I've checked
it against Gentoo's ALSA howto and can't see anything wrong, but that
doesn't mean there isn't. I'll include the relevant sections from my
/etc/modules.conf, and if you (or anyone else!) can spot something,
please let me know:

The following is all the info in my modules.conf to do with sound:

### modules-update: start processing /etc/modules.d/alsa
# Alsa 0.9.X kernel modules' configuration file.
# $Header:
/home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-sound/alsa-driver/files/alsa-modules.conf-rc,v
1.1 2002/12/21 06:31:52 agenkin Exp $

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##
## ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
## OSS/Free portion
## alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
## OSS/Free portion - card #2
## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1

### modules-update: end processing /etc/modules.d/alsa
Re: btaudio problems [ In reply to ]
I had a similar problem when I tried to get btaudio working. It tried to
grab the first dsp device (dsp or dsp0). The way I fixed it is I
launced esd & first to lock the dsp device and then modprobe btaudio so
that it will grab /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2. And then i killall esd to
free up /dev/dsp for mythtv. Apparently, the ordering of the modules in
modules.conf does not affect which devices gets first access on which
dsp devices. Its which devices are called by which program first which
determines the assignment of the dsp devies. Using this technique I
was able to assign sblive /dev/dsp0 , btaudio /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2,
btaudio (for second tuner) /dev/dsp3 and /dev/dsp4, and then em300 for
/dev/dsp5. I run these in rc.local. Hope this helps.

Chris <cisip@sprintmail.com>
Re: btaudio problems [ In reply to ]
I had this same problem (as probably shown in the archives). I fixed it
by loading snd-pcm-oss prior to btaudio, which grabbed dsp0 and forced
btaudio to start at dsp1.

<modules.conf>
pre-install btaudio modprobe snd-pcm-oss

Joe

Re: btaudio problems [ In reply to ]
For everyone with problems getting btaudio to stick to a particular dsp
device, add the following options to your modules.conf:

options btaudio dsp1=x dsp2=y mixer=z

where x,y & z are the numbers of the device. So,

options btaudio dsp1=2 dsp2=3 mixer=2

would give btaudio /dev/dsp1, /dev/dsp2 & /dev/mixer2

-Joe C.

Re: btaudio problems [ In reply to ]
I think I remember having problems trying that... 2 tuners and btaudio
doesn't have a dsp3=, dsp4= option. That's why I went to the pre-install
method.

Joe

RE: btaudio problems [ In reply to ]
Oops, correction -- the example I gave gives btaudio /dev/dsp2, /dev/dsp3
and /dev/mixer2 !

RE: btaudio problems [ In reply to ]
This actually sounds like it's worth bringing to the attention of the driver
maintainer... the options for the btaudio driver shouldn't be limited to
only working in a single-card configuration. If I get the time I could
probably come up with a patch myself, but don't hold your breath.

-Joe C.

Re: btaudio problems [ In reply to ]
The way I solved this is pretty easy, just put the line:
options btaudio dsp1=1 dsp2=2 mixer=1
in your /etc/modules.conf (or in /etc/modutils/somefile). This forces
it to use /dev/dsp[12] and /dev/mixer1 always, no matter if 0 is free
or not.

James