what I need to do. I read some of the threads but
haven't found solution yet.

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> I finally made some progress with mythtv now. I setup
> the database and now see a mythconferg in MySQL.
>
> However, when I try "mythtv" or "mythfrontend" I get
> Could not connect to backend server.

You have to start "mythbackend" before you start "mythfrontend" :-)

C'ya

chris

--
Christoph Rasim
Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]

> However, when I try "mythtv" or "mythfrontend" I get
> Could not connect to backend server.

did you type mythbackend before you typed mythfrontend?

4 steps to mythtv nervana:

1)run setup and complete all four section in order
2)run mythfilldatabase
3)run mythbackend
4run mythfrontend

goodluck

cedar
Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
I guess I am a dummy, but where is setup file located
at? I am using mythtv .8 rpms which I found at
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh80/mythtv/

It looks like most stuff is in
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.8/ I found the database file
there but don't see any setup file.

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
the installation method recommended by the docs at www.mythtv.org/docs/
do not use an rpm. As such I can't tell you where setup is located,
since I have never used that rpm. I suggest you either contact the
maintainer of the rpm (and maybe ask him to supply some documentation
with his rpms while you are at it) or you remove the rpm and follow the
mythtv documentation.

goodluck,

Cedar

Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
I uninstalled mythtv rpms and tried .tar file for
version .8 of mythtv. After I run "make" I get

make[2]: *** [dialogbox.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/mythtv-0.8/libs/libmyth'
make[1]: *** [sub-libmyth] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/mythtv-0.8/libs'
make: *** [sub-libs] Error 2
[root@freevo mythtv-0.8]#

I have /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf. Did removing
the libmyth rpms maybe cause this error or is it
something else?

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
> I uninstalled mythtv rpms and tried .tar file for
> version .8 of mythtv. After I run "make" I get
>

> make[2]: *** [dialogbox.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/local/mythtv-0.8/libs/libmyth'
> make[1]: *** [sub-libmyth] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/local/mythtv-0.8/libs'
> make: *** [sub-libs] Error 2
> [root@freevo mythtv-0.8]#

I need more information to be helpful. Can you post more of the make
output? Even from before those errors? Also, in my experience most make
errors are from un-met dependencies. Go through and check the docs and
make sure you have installed everything recommended. Pay particular
attention to -devel packages. Also if you installed something with an
rpm that the docs recommended a source install for they will often not
include -devel files, so that could be a problem too.

cedar
Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
replied to the wrong thread before.

> I prefer rpms because they are easier to remove and
> install new versions in my opinion. Mandrake and
> Redhat rpms have usually been compatible with one
> another. If a Mandrake rpm existed for mythtv I would
> use that, but it doesn't.

I understand, and I don't blame you. When I try to install software, I
often look for rpms too, particularly if they are supplied or
recommended by the project. However the rpms in this case are neither.
I think that could easily change if the maintainer simply provided some
installation instructions.

> I've tried installing the tar file first, but couldn't
> get it working then I tried rpms.

thats too bad, maybe we can figure it out.

best,

Cedar

Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
Ok, here is a little more of the file which I get
after I run "make":

tor==(const int&) const':
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qvaluelist.h:450: no class
template named `list' in `std'
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qvaluelist.h:450:
`const_iterator' is not a class or namespace
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qvaluelist.h:450: ISO C++ forbids
declaration of `it' with no type
In file included from /usr/lib/qt3/include/qmime.h:43,
from
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qevent.h:45,
from
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qobject.h:45,
from
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qlayout.h:42,
from dialogbox.cpp:1:
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:51:20: iterator: No such
file or directory
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:52:15: map: No such file
or directory
In file included from /usr/lib/qt3/include/qmime.h:43,
from
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qevent.h:45,
from
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qobject.h:45,
from
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qlayout.h:42,
from dialogbox.cpp:1:
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h: At global scope:
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:104: ISO C++ forbids
declaration of `bidirectional_iterator_tag' with no
type
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:104: parse error before
`;' token
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:108: ISO C++ forbids
declaration of `ptrdiff_t' with no type
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:108: parse error before
`;' token
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:220: ISO C++ forbids
declaration of `bidirectional_iterator_tag' with no
type
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:220: parse error before
`;' token
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:224: ISO C++ forbids
declaration of `ptrdiff_t' with no type
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:224: parse error before
`;' token
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:602: ISO C++ forbids
declaration of `ptrdiff_t' with no type
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:602: parse error before
`;' token
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:624: no class template
named `map' in `std'
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:625: ISO C++ forbids
declaration of `m' with no type
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:645: no class template
named `map' in `std'
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmap.h:646: ISO C++ forbids
declaration of `m' with no type
In file included from dialogbox.h:4,
from dialogbox.cpp:8:
mythwidgets.h:24:18: vector: No such file or directory
In file included from dialogbox.cpp:9:
mythcontext.h:11:18: vector: No such file or directory
In file included from dialogbox.cpp:9:
mythcontext.h:134: 'pthread_mutex_t' is used as a
type, but is not defined as a type.
mythcontext.h:140: 'pthread_mutex_t' is used as a

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 10:30:33AM -0800, skeeterskip wrote:
> I guess I am a dummy, but where is setup file located
> at? I am using mythtv .8 rpms which I found at
> http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh80/mythtv/
>
> It looks like most stuff is in
> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.8/ I found the database file
> there but don't see any setup file.

/usr/bin/setup is part of setuptool-1.10-1, therefore setup was renamed to
mythtvsetup.

I'd be interested to know whether the rpms will indeed work on Mandrake. 0.7
was reported to work fine.
--
Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de
Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
Looks to me like you're missing STL headers; check that you have the
libstdc++-devel package installed. Either that, or you're (somehow)
not including them in the compiler's system-includes path, but you'd
really have to be trying pretty hard to do that. :-)

#if skeeterskip /* Mar 21, 13:07 */
#endif /* skeeterskip@yahoo.com */
Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
Andy,

It looks like I have that installed. Here is what I
have for libstdc++

libstdc++2.10 2.96-0.80mdk
libstdc++5 3.2.1-7mdk
libstdc++5-devel 3.2.1-7mdk
libstdc++5-static-devel 3.2.1-7mdk

Re: could not connect to backend server [ In reply to ]
unfortunately I have never seen your error. So I can't give you
specific solid advice. However, in my experience most compile errors
people get are from missing or wrong dependencies. Most of your error
stuff seems to have qt3 in the path. Did you do something funny like
compile your own qt, or install non Red Hat qt rpms? How about other
prereqs? All as recommended in the docs? As you can see, I'm stretching
here. If you do have anything funny installed, get rid of it and go
through the docs and install that way. Pay paricular attention to the
red hat portion of:
and perhaps the very bottom of:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-4.html
other than that I don't know. It seems unlikely that uninstalling your
mythtv rpm messed you up, but I really don't know enough about it to
say.

cedar