Mailing List Archive

Start Automatically in RedHat 8.0
I've been wanting to get mythbackend to start
automatically when I log into RedHat 8.0. RH doesn't
use a .xinitrc file and I tried adding it to the
.Xclients-default file, but that didn't work.

Actually, here is what I'm trying to do eventually,
which is a bit more involved. I'd like my wife and
toddler to be able to use it as easily as they use the
TiVo at a neighbor's house. But my mythtv box is also
the home computer.

So I thought that the remote control "On" button
should automatically switch to a different desktop in
KDE that only runs mythfrontend, and start
mythfrontend if it isn't already running. If the "On"
button is pressed again, it should switch back to the
main desktop. I guess this would be some sort of shell
script launched from the .lircrc file.

Any suggestions?

./jj