requires little work. If anyone is interested, I can go into more
detail of how to do this stuff.

Ben
Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
Feel free to attach your configurations. I just added ogle myself and it
seems to work good but its always educating to look how someone else did
and see if I can improve my setup.

Cheers,
Joel

RE: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
Sure here goes. I installed Xdialog (http://www.chez.com/godefroy/) so I
could see that things were actually happening. Not a big deal for me,
but if the screen froze for my wife she would starting hitting buttons.
Trying to get stuff to work.

First I created a couple of scripts StartOgle and EjectCD

StartOgle looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
DIALOG=Xdialog

(
ogle -u cli &
echo "10" ; sleep 2
echo "20" ; sleep 2
echo "50" ; sleep 2
echo "75" ; sleep 2
echo "100" ; sleep 10
echo ""
) |
$DIALOG --title "Starting DVD" --guage "Please wait as I start the
DVD" 8 30

EjectCD looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
DIALOG=Xdialog

(
eject -r /dev/dvd
echo "XXXX"
) |
$DIALOG --title "Ejecting" --no-buttons --infobox "Ejecting DVD" 4
15 0

I made both of these executable and moved them to /bin

Next I created dvdmenu.xml containing this:

<mythmenu name="TV">

<button>
<type>DVD</type>
<text>Play</text>
<action>EXEC /bin/StartOgle</action>
</button>

<button>
<type>EJECT</type>
<text>Eject</text>
<action>EXEC /bin/EjectCD</action>
</button>

</mythmenu>

Finally I added this to my mainmenu.xml:

<button>
<type>DVD</type>
<text>DVD</text>
<action>MENU dvdmenu.xml</action>
</button>

Now I have a dvd option complete with little status windows. I can open
the CD tray, and start my DVD. The eject is important because the case
I'm buying hides the CD behind a spring loaded door.

Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
How does ogle deal with hollywood DVDs? And does libdvdcss provide
adequate support? More accurately...can I toss my DVD player out the
window?

RE: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
That's my plan. I've tried it on a few of CD's "Sweet Home Alabama",
"CaddyShack", "Shallow Hal", and "Where the Heart Is" They all worked.

Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
libdvdcss works great on everything I ever threw at it.

The only reason to keep your DVD player is for 480p (if you have such
a need).

Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
usenet@wingert.org wrote:

>libdvdcss works great on everything I ever threw at it.
>
>The only reason to keep your DVD player is for 480p (if you have such
>a need).

Why wouldn't your DVD software do progressive scan? Is that not a
standard feature of linux DVD software?

Graeme
Re: DVD on Linux [ In reply to ]
OK, way off topic, but I'm sure someone will know this answer.

I have tried both Xine and Ogle. Neither of them seem able to
reverse-play. Any reason for this? I find it annoying when I have missed
some dialog and can't backup to hear it again (unless I skip to the
beginning of the chapter).

Maybe I'm just hitting he wrong keys...

Thanks,
Larry

Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 07:05, Ben Brown wrote:
> I've seen many people mention this, and I thought I'd make a quick post.
> If you want to be able to play DVD's from you mythtv, you might try just
> using a 3rd party piece of software and editing your menu.xml's. I've

I used to have a button in the main menu that exec'd mplayer for DVD's,
but I found a better way (imho)

Add this to mythvideo-settings.txt

dvd_helper=/usr/bin/mplayer -alang en -ao alsa9 -vo xv -dvd 1 -cache
4096

and on the profile_movies= line add dvd.

Now go to you video storage directory and create a Symlink called
someting like "Play a DVD.dvd"

fire up Mythvideo and select the link (with a dvd in the drive)

Enjoy your DVD...

:D
Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
Drew I tried this after your initial posting last week. I wasn't able to
utilize it because I wasn't able to view the symlinks through mythvideo.
I've been using a custom dvdmenu.xml to accomplish the goal but I liked your
idea better. Any ideas? Thanks.

Jason Ramey
webmaster@permutation.org

Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
Oops, should of said touch a file, not create a symlink.

Sorry, my bad.

:D

Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
Do you know of a video card with 480p out? Or is there a VGA to 480p
scan converter?

Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
usenet@wingert.org wrote:

>Do you know of a video card with 480p out? Or is there a VGA to 480p
>scan converter?

There are VGA -> Component adaptors, they cost around $100 unless you
DIY and build your own. And they don't just do 480p, they'll do the
higher HDTV reses as well. Also, ATI makes an HDTV adaptor for their
cards (that only works in Windows unfortunately, because they reprogram
the RAMDACs in the driver to output the YUV signal). As well, a few
HDTVs have SVGA or DVI input that you can plug your computer directly in
to (however, I'm told that not all TV DVI connectors work with computer
DVI connectors for some odd reason).

Graeme
Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
My Mitsubishi has VGA in, but only 640x480, it is a top of the line Diamond too.
Which TVs do 1080i?

Could you provide a link for a VGA to 1080i Converter for $100?

Thanks

Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
usenet@wingert.org wrote:

>My Mitsubishi has VGA in, but only 640x480, it is a top of the line Diamond too.

Yeah, I've found the TVs with the VGA in doesn't really correspond with
how highly priced they are. Sampo makes a 34" Tube HDTV that'll do 720p
and 1080i on its SVGA input, and it goes for about $1500 US.

>Which TVs do 1080i?

Mostly the ones with DVI inputs, I understand. Although, like I said,
there are issues with computer DVI -> HDTV DVI sometimes. Best thing you
can do is drag your machine in to a shop and try it out on the TV you're
thinking of.

>Could you provide a link for a VGA to 1080i Converter for $100?

Sure. Keohi HDTV has a nice page on them:
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/interfaces/rgbtocomponenttranscoder.html

http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/9a60.asp
http://www.yourdigitalhome.com/dss4u/rcavhvgatoco.html

You can probably use froogle.google.com to find cheaper prices. Also,
apparently Circuit City carries the RCA model, so you can call them and
see how much it is locally.

Graeme
Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
Do you have a Mitsu HTDV? If so you don't want to connect via the VGA
in-port as it's limited to 640x480. With the right cable you can display
960x540P (1080i) which the t.v. was designed for. You have two options
for connecting a VGA card to your mitsu:

1. A transcoder such as
http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/9a62.asp
2. A VGA to RGBHV breakout cable:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Cables/vgarca.asp

Provided you supply the correct modeline setting in XF86Config-4 your
t.v. will display HDTV resolutions from your VGA card.

A lot of this is dicussed at
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=26

Carlos

Re: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
Yup, 65909.

Sheesh, this thing tain't cheap.

Much more than a progressive scan DVD player.

Thanks for the information.

RE: DVD in myth TV [ In reply to ]
>>How does ogle deal with hollywood DVDs? And does libdvdcss provide
>>adequate support? More accurately...can I toss my DVD player out the
>>window?

>That's my plan. I've tried it on a few of CD's "Sweet Home Alabama",
>"CaddyShack", "Shallow Hal", and "Where the Heart Is" They all worked.

I ran into problems with MIB (1, region 1, widescreen) using ALSA. Using
OSS-Emulation solved the problem with the last release. I was helping them
debug it but somehow I managed to botch ALSA and I can't get the latest
version to compile, but I'll figure it out eventually (I want digital-out
on my SPDIF).

So far, I really like mplayer -dvd 1. For most of my discs it
"just plays the movie" without having to watch/skip intro's, FBI warnings,
et al.... It doesn't do AC3/DTS passthru, but I need a receiver first ;)

-Thor