Mailing List Archive

I just Installed Mythtv from CVS! It's great! I am working on mpeg2 export!
Hi Everyone!

I just installed mythtv from cvs. It's great!! I've configured in
mythweather, mythgallery, and mythgames! All work great! I am
going to add snes9x support for games as well as create a video
export module for mythtv (unless anyone else is working on that).
My goal is to get mpeg2 files dumped to dvd. I am creating DVD movies
from family video from DV format. At first I will be working with nuv files
with uncompressed audio (native nuv) since I have made dvd disks from
nucrec before. In fact I will include the simple C script that does this.
For now I am creating 2 pass DIVX disks and playing them back with
my Sega Dream Cast (Cool!)
What I will be doing is adding a mythtv module for video export. I don't
know how long it qwill be since spring is around the corner and I am working
on the old homestead plus work. But I will be working on this. For now
here's the simple script to create a mpeg2 file from a nuv file. After you
create your mpeg2 files you can use dvdauthor tools to create the dvd data
ready for mkisofs to create an iso of the dvd.

Here's my mkdvd script.
#!/bin/sh

echo "you have choosen to make a VCD compliant MPEG stream"
echo "please notice that VBR MPEG streams can have the same"
echo "visual quality with lower/low bitrates too (like divx)"
echo ""

# nuvplay -e $1.nuv | toolame -b 224 -p 2 -m s /dev/stdin $1.mp2
# exportvideo -Y 2 $1.nuv "|mpeg2enc -b 1152 -G 15 -g 15 -N -o $1.m1v"
exportvideo -Y 2 -G 720x480 $1.nuv "|mpeg2enc -I 2 -f 8 -o $1.m2v"
# exportvideo -Y 2 $1.nuv "|mpeg2enc -m 2 -f 3 -b 2500 -G 15 -g 15 -o $1.m1v"
mplex -f 8 -V -b 500 -o $1.mpg $1.m2v $1.mp2

The above would make a mpeg2 video from a nuv file with uncompressed audio.

I am still working on exporting compressed audio.
Re: I just Installed Mythtv from CVS! It's great! I am working on mpeg2 export! [ In reply to ]
Hey,
I seem to remember a project that add similar if not the same
features. You might want to check out freeplayTV i think thats what it
is called. I beleive that it uses MythTV but also adds some other things.

Re: I just Installed Mythtv from CVS! It's great! I am working on mpeg2 export! [ In reply to ]
> Hey,
> I seem to remember a project that add similar if not the same
> features. You might want to check out freeplayTV i think thats what it
> is called. I beleive that it uses MythTV but also adds some other
> things.

this is not correct.

cedar
Re: I just Installed Mythtv from CVS! It's great! I am working on mpeg2 export! [ In reply to ]
shit, disregard my last post. I hit the send before I was finished
composing. freeplayTV is indeed based on mythtv, but as far as I know
they were never successful in getting anything actually working. The
site seems pretty dead now too. I also distrust the motives of the
freeplayTV guy. Instead of contributing video export stuff to mythtv he
seemed to have tried to re-brand mythtv as his own, add a couple of
export scripts and then sell machines based on that. To be fair the
thought of selling premade machines has crossed my mind, but the
rebranding, and failure to contribute the the main mythtv project
annoyed me.

cedar

Re: I just Installed Mythtv from CVS! [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 09 March 2003 03:47 pm, Cedar McKay wrote:
> shit, disregard my last post. I hit the send before I was finished
> composing. freeplayTV is indeed based on mythtv, but as far as I know
> they were never successful in getting anything actually working. The
> site seems pretty dead now too. I also distrust the motives of the
> freeplayTV guy. Instead of contributing video export stuff to mythtv he
> seemed to have tried to re-brand mythtv as his own, add a couple of
> export scripts and then sell machines based on that. To be fair the
> thought of selling premade machines has crossed my mind, but the
> rebranding, and failure to contribute the the main mythtv project
> annoyed me.

The guy actually unsubscribed from this list and announced his own PVR project
back in December, I believe. The initial project announcement said that it
was supposed to have its first release around now, actually, but he took that
announcement off of his webpage a while ago =)

Isaac
Re: I just Installed Mythtv from CVS! [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Sunday 09 March 2003 03:47 pm, Cedar McKay wrote:
>
>>shit, disregard my last post. I hit the send before I was finished
>>composing. freeplayTV is indeed based on mythtv, but as far as I know
>>they were never successful in getting anything actually working. The
>>site seems pretty dead now too. I also distrust the motives of the
>>freeplayTV guy. Instead of contributing video export stuff to mythtv he
>>seemed to have tried to re-brand mythtv as his own, add a couple of
>>export scripts and then sell machines based on that. To be fair the
>>thought of selling premade machines has crossed my mind, but the
>>rebranding, and failure to contribute the the main mythtv project
>>annoyed me.
>

> The guy actually unsubscribed from this list and announced his own PVR project
> back in December, I believe. The initial project announcement said that it
> was supposed to have its first release around now, actually, but he took that
> announcement off of his webpage a while ago =)

I feel guilty. I flamed him on the two points Cedar mentions
and he kind of went off in a huff. He claimed that he wanted to
sell these boxes as a non-profit humanitarian act. However, all
indications were that he was more interested in refocusing
attention to his project name and himself than he was interested
in contributing to a collaborative project.

-- bjm