explanations about it:

"If enabled, the guide data program will be run automatically.",
backendsettings.cpp

I think that should rather contain the word fetch/grab/fill, to
reflect it's about fetching (xmltv) the data instead of showing it
(EPG)

BR,

-i
Re: "guide data program" [ In reply to ]
On 4/4/2012 3:23 PM, ikke wrote:
> I was first wondering about the string until I found the further
> explanations about it:
>
> "If enabled, the guide data program will be run automatically.",
> backendsettings.cpp
>
> I think that should rather contain the word fetch/grab/fill, to
> reflect it's about fetching (xmltv) the data instead of showing it
> (EPG)

Hi Ilkka!

I am trying to find the string you mention so that I can leave myself a
note so that I can address the issue once we are no longer in string
freeze but I have been unable to find one where "guide data program" is
associated with "If enabled, the guide data program will be run
automatically.".

The help text I found for "guide data program" is "Use
'mythfilldatabase' or the name of a custom script that will populate the
program guide info for all your video sources.".

Is this the string that you would like to modify (ie replace "populate"
with "fetch")?

"If enabled, the guide data program will be run automatically." seems to
be associated with "Automatically update program listings".

Please let me know...

Have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: "guide data program" [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Nicolas Riendeau <knight@teksavvy.com> wrote:
> On 4/4/2012 3:23 PM, ikke wrote:
>> "If enabled, the guide data program will be run automatically.",
>> backendsettings.cpp

It is this exact string I wanted to address. And any of those nearby
following strings mentioning "guide data program", I believe that for
an average Joe "guide data program" doesn't say much, even long time
user like me had to think twice what does it mean.

Of course the strings are out of context in linguist, and one doesn't
there necessarily see the further explanation text next to the option
string, it makes it harder to guess what it means. But anyway,
referring to "guide data program" is perhaps too technical term for a
user. Rather something like "program guide downloader" would be more
human.

This is extremely minor issue, but just wanted to mark it up since I
got stuck there for a moment.

Thanks,
ikke
Re: "guide data program" [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 04 Apr 2012 19:08:24 Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
> I am trying to find the string you mention so that I can leave myself a
> note so that I can address the issue once we are no longer in string
> freeze but I have been unable to find one where "guide data program" is
> associated with "If enabled, the guide data program will be run
> automatically.".

mythtv/programs/mythtv-setup/backendsettings.cpp ln 748

It's viewable under mythtv-setup, General settings

It should be something like "If enabled, program guide data (information?)
will be downloaded automatically."
--
Stuart Morgan
Re: "guide data program" [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On 4/5/2012 3:34 AM, ikke wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Nicolas Riendeau<knight@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>> On 4/4/2012 3:23 PM, ikke wrote:
>>> "If enabled, the guide data program will be run automatically.",
>>> backendsettings.cpp
>
> It is this exact string I wanted to address. And any of those nearby
> following strings mentioning "guide data program", I believe that for
> an average Joe "guide data program" doesn't say much, even long time
> user like me had to think twice what does it mean.

OK, I misunderstood... I thought you meant the string "guide data
program" and that the further information you referred to was "If
enabled, the guide data program will be run automatically." since "If
enabled, the guide data program will be run automatically." is an help text.

> Of course the strings are out of context in linguist, and one doesn't
> there necessarily see the further explanation text next to the option
> string, it makes it harder to guess what it means. But anyway,
> referring to "guide data program" is perhaps too technical term for a
> user. Rather something like "program guide downloader" would be more
> human.

We could help the translators by putting in translation comments
(something which I intend to do) but you are right a normal user could
have an hard time figuring this one out and we are trying to make those
text understandable.

> This is extremely minor issue, but just wanted to mark it up since I
> got stuck there for a moment.

No problem and thank you! I'll change it when we are out of string freeze...

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: "guide data program" [ In reply to ]
Hi Stuart!

On 4/5/2012 5:46 AM, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 Apr 2012 19:08:24 Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
>> I am trying to find the string you mention so that I can leave myself a
>> note so that I can address the issue once we are no longer in string
>> freeze but I have been unable to find one where "guide data program" is
>> associated with "If enabled, the guide data program will be run
>> automatically.".
>
> mythtv/programs/mythtv-setup/backendsettings.cpp ln 748
>
> It's viewable under mythtv-setup, General settings

I know... (-;

I had misunderstood what Ilkka meant as we actually have "guide data
program" as a string to translate and this string has, obviously, a
different help text.

I don't know since when Qt Linguist does that but if you work in a
directory where all the files have been checked-out (which is not always
the case for me) when you click on a string it shows it to you in the
source code (that's what those "location" strings in the translation
file are about). So I knew exactly were that string was in the source code.

So the problem was not that I had not found were the "MythFillEnabled"
and/or "MythFillDatabasePath" settings were set it was that I
misunderstood what string we should be changing...

That's what happens when you running low on caffeine... (-;

> It should be something like "If enabled, program guide data (information?)
> will be downloaded automatically."

Yep, thank you!

Have a nice day!

Nicolas