Mailing List Archive

Translation and locale configurations
Hi,

Am doing translation for MythTV and got a few questions:

* Hong Kong's DTV uses language code 'chs' for subtitles to stand for
'Chinese (Simplified)', but now it is interpret as 'English'. I know
it's not a valid ISO code, but can we add it?
If adding it is not possible, please at least display it as
'(Unknown)' or something like that instead of 'English'.

* What's the difference between 'Recording has Subtitles Available'
and 'Recording is Subtitled'? (There are also used as different status
icons in the 'Watch Recordings' menu)

About locale configurations:

* Can we have a list of all configurable settings? For instance,
what's the setting names for 'signal timeout (ms)' and 'tuning timeout
(ms)'?

* Can I add extra characters (Chinese characters, for example) to the
'date' or 'time' formats?

BTW, I spotted a bug: the clock on the front page of 'Terra' theme
does not follow the time format setting, while 'MythCenter' and
'MythCenter-wide' do not have this problem.

Thanks a lot,

Walter Cheuk
Re: Translation and locale configurations [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Walter Cheuk <wwycheuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> * What's the difference between 'Recording has Subtitles Available'
> and 'Recording is Subtitled'? (There are also used as different status
> icons in the 'Watch Recordings' menu)

One is optional, the other is "baked in" (they appear in the video
itself rather than as a separate, interpreted stream)

> About locale configurations:
>
> * Can we have a list of all configurable settings? For instance,
> what's the setting names for 'signal timeout (ms)' and 'tuning timeout
> (ms)'?

Those are per-card settings, not global settings-- locale configs only
currently cover items in the settings table-- these items are not
there.

> * Can I add extra characters (Chinese characters, for example) to the
> 'date' or 'time' formats?

If the date and time format is using templated text in the theme, you
can translate that part. You cannot, however, translate the "raw"
date and time data.

> BTW, I spotted a bug: the clock on the front page of 'Terra' theme
> does not follow the time format setting, while 'MythCenter' and
> 'MythCenter-wide' do not have this problem.

This is not a bug. It's the desire of the Terra theme author.

Robert
Re: Translation and locale configurations [ In reply to ]
>> * Can I add extra characters (Chinese characters, for example) to the
>> 'date' or 'time' formats?
>
> If the date and time format is using templated text in the theme, you
> can translate that part.  You cannot, however, translate the "raw"
> date and time data.

Thank you for reply. If I can only choose from fixed format programmed
in MythTV itself like 'mmm d yyyy' or 'dd mm', how can I translate
that?
Re: Translation and locale configurations [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On 10/18/2011 6:42 PM, Walter Cheuk wrote:
>>> * Can I add extra characters (Chinese characters, for example) to the
>>> 'date' or 'time' formats?

What would you like to add?

>> If the date and time format is using templated text in the theme, you
>> can translate that part. You cannot, however, translate the "raw"
>> date and time data.
>
> Thank you for reply. If I can only choose from fixed format programmed
> in MythTV itself like 'mmm d yyyy' or 'dd mm', how can I translate
> that?

You have to choose one of the date formats offered by MythTV (I do
believe though that it wouldn't be a problem to add another one if it
was needed).

The date formats decide the order and how things such as month names are
displayed (short format, long, numeric) but the translation of the text
is handled, I believe, at the OS level...

(Qt, the framework we use, says this about that in their documentation:
"The month names will be localized according to the system's locale
settings.".)

Can you please check if by choosing a date format *and* by setting your
system locale to Chinese/China you are able to get what you want?

Thank you!

Nicolas
(MythTV translation maintainer/developer)
Re: Translation and locale configurations [ In reply to ]
'd' and 'yyyy' etc. only give numeric values, in Chinese a proper date
should be like 'yyyy年M月d日' where 年, 月 and 日 means 'year', 'month' and
'day' respectively. Also the time format is a bit different.

So please add three date formats: 'dddd yyyy年M月d日', 'ddd M月d日' and
'M月d日' (they can be used for wide-screen, 4:3 screen and short format
respectively) and a time format 'AP h:mm'. Also there is comma (,)
between date and time on the front page of frontend, there is no need
for that in Chinese, or selectively replaced by an extra space.

One more question: Is it OK to format MythArchiveDateFormat like
%Y年%m月%d日(%a) and MythArchiveTimeFormat like %p %I:%M? It seems that
they are using GNOME variables.

Re: Translation and locale configurations [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On 10/18/2011 9:53 PM, Walter Cheuk wrote:
> 'd' and 'yyyy' etc. only give numeric values, in Chinese a proper date
> should be like 'yyyy年M月d日' where 年, 月 and 日 means 'year', 'month' and
> 'day' respectively. Also the time format is a bit different.
>
> So please add three date formats: 'dddd yyyy年M月d日', 'ddd M月d日' and
> 'M月d日' (they can be used for wide-screen, 4:3 screen and short format
> respectively) and a time format 'AP h:mm'. Also there is comma (,)
> between date and time on the front page of frontend, there is no need
> for that in Chinese, or selectively replaced by an extra space.
>
> One more question: Is it OK to format MythArchiveDateFormat like
> %Y年%m月%d日(%a) and MythArchiveTimeFormat like %p %I:%M? It seems that
> they are using GNOME variables.

Let me get back to you on this, I want to do some tests.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nick