Mailing List Archive

problems using the 'depends' attribute in recordings-ui
Hi all,

I need some help with the depends attribute which I'm trying to use in
recordings-ui to do the following:

Depending whether coverart is available, I want to change the lay-out
of the screen. In order to archive this, I've created 2 groups with a
set of the same widgets in them which will be positioned differently
depending on the availability of the coverart. In this way I can make
the screen look the same for recordings with coverart as the video
library (in the managed view) and keep the original layout for
recordings without the coverart.

I've created two screenshots as an example for what I am trying to do:

http://code.google.com/p/mythmediastream/downloads/detail?name=Recordings_CoverArt_Layout.png&can=2&q=
http://code.google.com/p/mythmediastream/downloads/detail?name=Recordings_NoCoverArt_Layout.png&can=2&q=

My problem is that when ever the screen switches between the coverart
layout and the non-coverart layout (as a result of the depends
attribute), all the text widgets are not showing the contents of the
recording item which is currently selected in the buttonlist. Instead
they are containing the contents of the item which was first selected
in the previous screen layout. Whenever I move to the next recording
item in the same layout as the previous one, the text widgets are
showing the right contents again (i.e. matching the recording item
selected in the buttonlist). This is not applicable for the coverart
and preview images as the are showing the right contents for the
recording item selected in the buttonlist when switching between the
two layouts.

I uploaded a copy of recordings-ui.xml file containing the code I
used. I'm currently developing for 0.26 and haven't tried trunk yet
to see whether it produces the same problem, but do believe that this
will not make any difference as I had the same problem on 0.25. Please
checkout the develop branch of my git repository:

http://code.google.com/p/mythmediastream/source/browse/MythMediaStream/recordings-ui.xml?name=develop

I'm not sure if I did use the depends attribute correctly or that this
is a bug in one of the mythtv ui libraries.

Anyone having an idea of what I'm doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks! Ted.
Re: problems using the 'depends' attribute in recordings-ui [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need some help with the depends attribute which I'm trying to use in
> recordings-ui to do the following:
>
> Depending whether coverart is available, I want to change the lay-out
> of the screen. In order to archive this, I've created 2 groups with a
> set of the same widgets in them which will be positioned differently
> depending on the availability of the coverart. In this way I can make
> the screen look the same for recordings with coverart as the video
> library (in the managed view) and keep the original layout for
> recordings without the coverart.
>
> I've created two screenshots as an example for what I am trying to do:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mythmediastream/downloads/detail?name=Recordings_CoverArt_Layout.png&can=2&q=
> http://code.google.com/p/mythmediastream/downloads/detail?name=Recordings_NoCoverArt_Layout.png&can=2&q=
>
> My problem is that when ever the screen switches between the coverart
> layout and the non-coverart layout (as a result of the depends
> attribute), all the text widgets are not showing the contents of the
> recording item which is currently selected in the buttonlist. Instead
> they are containing the contents of the item which was first selected
> in the previous screen layout. Whenever I move to the next recording
> item in the same layout as the previous one, the text widgets are
> showing the right contents again (i.e. matching the recording item
> selected in the buttonlist). This is not applicable for the coverart
> and preview images as the are showing the right contents for the
> recording item selected in the buttonlist when switching between the
> two layouts.
>
> I uploaded a copy of recordings-ui.xml file containing the code I
> used. I'm currently developing for 0.26 and haven't tried trunk yet
> to see whether it produces the same problem, but do believe that this
> will not make any difference as I had the same problem on 0.25. Please
> checkout the develop branch of my git repository:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mythmediastream/source/browse/MythMediaStream/recordings-ui.xml?name=develop
>
> I'm not sure if I did use the depends attribute correctly or that this
> is a bug in one of the mythtv ui libraries.
>
> Anyone having an idea of what I'm doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated.

Ted,

Is it possible that this is the same issue Yeechang reported in
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11031 ?

Jim
Re: problems using the 'depends' attribute in recordings-ui [ In reply to ]
Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> says:
> Depending whether coverart is available, I want to change the lay-out
> of the screen.

[...]

> I'm not sure if I did use the depends attribute correctly or that this
> is a bug in one of the mythtv ui libraries.

As Jim Stichnot said, it's the same issue that I reported as #11031
and was subsequently closed, unfortunately. Check out the Mythbuntu
theme to see how it instead handles the coverart/no coverart
situation; perhaps it'll give you some ideas.

Re: problems using the 'depends' attribute in recordings-ui [ In reply to ]
> As Jim Stichnot said, it's the same issue that I reported as #11031
> and was subsequently closed, unfortunately.

Sorry missed that one :(

> Check out the Mythbuntu
> theme to see how it instead handles the coverart/no coverart
> situation; perhaps it'll give you some ideas.

I'm doing the same thing within the OSD info window and it works as I
have used different named widgets which display the same text due to
usage of the template attribute. I have tried that with the recordings
screen, however, without success, hence my post... I will look into
your theme to see what solution (workaround) you have came up with.
The limitation of using named widgets only once as part of the core
design is indeed unfortunate as it does limit the way a screen is
being designed based on the availability of things such as fanart :(
Re: problems using the 'depends' attribute in recordings-ui [ In reply to ]
Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> says:
> I'm doing the same thing within the OSD info window and it works as
> I have used different named widgets which display the same text due
> to usage of the template attribute.

Yes, the Mythbuntu theme also uses the depends clause in the OSD to
display cover art if present, and the channel name and icon if
not. The inconsistent behavior elsewhere is why I filed the ticket,
and why I suspect that the closing of the ticket was erroneous.
Re: problems using the 'depends' attribute in recordings-ui [ In reply to ]
> Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> says:
>> I'm doing the same thing within the OSD info window and it works as
>> I have used different named widgets which display the same text due
>> to usage of the template attribute.
>
> Yes, the Mythbuntu theme also uses the depends clause in the OSD to
> display cover art if present, and the channel name and icon if
> not. The inconsistent behavior elsewhere is why I filed the ticket,
> and why I suspect that the closing of the ticket was erroneous.

I think you're right, it seems more like some kind of update / refresh
thing to me which doesn't work as the way it is supposed to work...
Perhaps we can re-open the ticket so the developer can have another
look at it...

I think you're right, it seems more like some kind of update / refresh
thing to me which doesn't work as the way it is supposed to work...
Perhaps we can re-open the ticket so the developer can have another
look at it...

In the mean time, I've worked around it and changed my recordings
screen lay-out to match the video manager screen lay-out as I like the
coverart setup more then the original lay-out with the preview images.