Mailing List Archive

MythTV-Themes project and old myththemes repo
Hello, themers!

Some of you may have noticed the recent removal of all content from the
MythTV/myththemes repository on github (
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-commits/2012-February/087591.html
). I just wanted to send a short e-mail describing the reasoning for
the change, and what it means to you, the themers.

The 2 (remaining) active themes in MythTV/myththemes repository
(Childish and Mythbuntu) have both been moved to a new github project,
MythTV-Themes ( https://github.com/MythTV-Themes ), along with a couple
of other themes. The main reason for the change is to allow us to grant
pull/push (read/write) permissions to the theme authors and maintainers,
so they don't need to ask one of the few MythTV developers to pull in
any required changes to their themes--i.e. to cut out the middle man so
we (generally non-theming) developers are no longer in your way.

The project is available for use by any themer who wants to use it. If
you're interested in moving your existing repository to the
MythTV-Themes project, please let me know and I'll set up a new
repository for you and provide you with the permissions you'll need on
that repository.

If you're happy with your existing setup, there is no need to move your
theme to the MythTV-Themes project (so if you prefer SVN or Bazaar or
Mercurial or Google code or Sourceforge over git/github, or if you have
your own git repository on your own project, or even if you're working
without revision control and just packaging up your own tarballs, feel
free to use whatever works best for you). The Theme Chooser will work
exactly the same with themes in the MythTV-Themes project or outside
that project--all themes are "equal" and none will be treated as special
by any part of MythTV. (The idea is that all themes will eventually be
treated as "external" and only the default themes will be installed
automatically. All others will be installed on request through the
Theme Chooser.)

That said, if you would like to move your theme to MythTV-Themes
project, it only takes a few seconds of my time to set you up, so there
is no reason not to move if you think it may work well for you/your
theme. (I can also help you move your existing repository while
maintaining existing history, too, so you won't lose anything.)

Thanks,
Mike Dean

Re: MythTV-Themes project and old myththemes repo [ In reply to ]
On 02/27/2012 10:21 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> The ... themes in MythTV/myththemes repository
> ... have ... been moved to a new github project,
> MythTV-Themes ( https://github.com/MythTV-Themes )

> The project is available for use by any themer who wants to use it. If
> you're interested in moving your existing repository to the
> MythTV-Themes project, please let me know and I'll set up a new
> repository for you and provide you with the permissions you'll need on
> that repository.

The fine details (split into a separate e-mail so my first e-mail wasn't
so long that it scared people into deleting without reading) :

Each theme in the MythTV-Themes project is a separate git repository.
This has several benefits: a) it allows us to grant fine-grained
control over permissions, b) it allows theme authors/maintainers to
simply clone the repo into their ~/.mythtv/themes/ directory and work on
the theme in the same location where MythTV is using the theme (meaning
no required configure/make/make install type approach), c) it makes each
theme repository nice and small (generally taking only a small amount
more space than the theme itself), and ...

As far as permissions, we have created a <themename>-Admin "team"
(basically a "group" of users or "role") that has push/pull/admin
privileges on the repo, and a <themename>-Commit team that has push and
pull privileges. Currently, theme authors are assigned to the -Admin
team, meaning they are allowed to administer the theme--including adding
additional maintainers to either the -Admin or -Commit team.

Eventually, I hope to move Terra and MythCenter-wide and MythCenter from
MythTV/mythtv repository's mythtv/themes directory into separate
repositories on MythTV-Themes, and open them up for maintenance by the
community. While they are still used as "default" themes for MythTV,
they would be pulled in by mythtv's build, so that they're installed on
all systems. Once we create new default and default-wide themes--that
would be fully-usable themes, rather than "fallback-only" shell
themes--Terra and MythCenter* would exist only within the MythTV-Themes
project, and would not be installed by default (would only be installed
if selected for use in the Theme Chooser). However, even then, default
and default-wide would exist within MythTV-Themes and be pulled in by
the mythtv build for installation.

Since all themes will become "external" themes, that means that
developers will no longer be able to just go in and change "all" the
themes when adding new features to MythTV. This has several benefits.
First, it prevents users from seeing any theme as special or "officially
approved" or whatever. Second, it keeps us MythTV developers--who may
not understand or, at least, may not share the theme designer's creative
vision--from going in and "breaking" the style/consistency/look/feel of
the theme. And, third, because MythTV/myththemes did not actually
contain /all/ the themes, we developers tended to forget about themes we
didn't see in our repo, so we generally failed to provide good
information to themers about the changes to the MythTV code and what it
meant to themers (forcing you all to try to keep up based on -commits
messages or wiki documentation change history). Now, however, since all
themes will be external, we'll be forced to better share information
with all the themers about code changes. I'm hoping to set up some
process by which a MythTV developer who makes changes that affect
theming will inform themers (likely with an e-mail to this list) of the
changes, what it means for theming, and an example of how to use the
feature in themes (which you all can choose to use to update your
themes, or as a basis for designing the feature into your themes, or, if
not mandatory changes, leave out of your theme if it doesn't fit the
vision). More on this after 0.25 release, and--especially--if I can get
permission to move Terra and MythCenter* into MythTV-Themes project.

If anyone has any questions about the project or getting it to do what
they need (or if git or github causes any problems), please let me know
and I'll do what I can to help. Or, if anyone has any suggestions for
things we can do to make it easier for you all to create and maintain
your MythTV themes, please let us know.

Thanks(, again),
Mike
Re: MythTV-Themes project and old myththemes repo [ In reply to ]
On 02/27/2012 10:21 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> a new github project,
> MythTV-Themes ( https://github.com/MythTV-Themes )

Just wanted to send a quick (and not really important) message to those
themers who have moved their themes to the MythTV-Themes project (which
has a total of 12 repos/themes, now!) to mention that you are welcome to
"Publicize membership" in the MythTV-Themes project. To do so, simply
go to:

https://github.com/MythTV-Themes

(while logged in to github.com), and click on "Publicize membership."
Doing so will list your github account as a contributor to the project.
Membership is concealed by default, in case you do not want others to
see your account listed on the project page, but we welcome you to admit
to working on the themes so that Gavin (Beirdo) and I don't take all the
credit for your wonderful themes. :)

Thanks, and please let me know if you have any questions about
git/github/the MythTV-Themes project, or if you have suggestions for
things we can improve to make working with the project easier for you all.

Mike