another Menu Theme)?

Regards,

Ljuba
Re: Menu Theme Customization Request [ In reply to ]
On 9/21/2010 23:44, Ljubomir Manojlovic wrote:
> Is it somebody interested to customize Menu Theme (it will be payed
> like job and free available for public use - practically donation from
> my side for another Menu Theme)?

Are you looking for a new menu theme, or a full UI theme? UI themes
define the graphical look and function of the program, and can take tens
to hundreds of hours of work. Menu themes just define the layout and
order of the items in the main menu, and can be cranked out in half an
hour by someone with no prior knowledge of the XML schema.
Re: Menu Theme Customization Request [ In reply to ]
I'm looking for Menu themes (now is available default, classic, DVR and
mediacenter).

As far as I now, all media centers are predicted for personal usage (more or
less like home media center), but what about public usage and public media
centers?

Purpose of themes are public usage of MythTV (in this case, for me, it is for
cyber cafe, as I have Direct TV, huge collection of videos, music and games).

That mean how ALL dialogs with any sort of the settings (so, it is about the
MythTV in client PC, it is not about media deletion in media server) should to
be in some way hidden from final user (to disable user to make ANY TYPE OF
CHANGES in menu).

I wrote how it is for cyber cafe (it is stupid to limit PC usage just for
internet and office), but think about the schools (e.g. educational movies),
libraries (e.g. listening music), etc. Any administrator can not permit
situation where public user can make changes in media center settings.

As far as it is clear how Settings main menu entrance (main entrance should to
be on the top of the settings menu pyramid - settings submenus) should to be
protected with password, it is desirable to be also hidden in some way (e.g.
like Esc button for exit, it can be some other combination to enter in Settings
area submenus).

I hope so how it is clear explanation and how idea for public media center is
acceptable.

________________________________

Re: Menu Theme Customization Request [ In reply to ]
On 9/22/2010 09:55, Ljubomir Manojlovic wrote:
> I'm looking for Menu themes (now is available default, classic, DVR
> and mediacenter).
>
> That mean how ALL dialogs with any sort of the settings (so, it is
> about the MythTV in client PC, it is not about media deletion in media
> server) should to be in some way hidden from final user (to disable
> user to make ANY TYPE OF CHANGES in menu).
>
> I wrote how it is for cyber cafe (it is stupid to limit PC usage just
> for internet and office), but think about the schools (e.g.
> educational movies), libraries (e.g. listening music), etc. Any
> administrator can not permit situation where public user can make
> changes in media center settings.

Menu themes don't do what you think they do. They only control the
first two levels of layout. Once you get into any of the individual
sections and plugins, the interface is all hard coded. The changes you
ask for would require large amounts of coding and relatively little theming.

MythTV was designed for home use, not commercial, and as such, security
wasn't even an afterthought. There is no authentication on the backend
protocol or XML interface, and no access management to MySQL besides its
own access credentials. There is no way to restrict access to content,
beside the parental controls which take a 4-digit PIN. There is no way
to prevent modification or deletion of content, recording rules, or any
other behavior in MythTV.

There (supposedly) are several commercial installations of MythTV,
including some hotels, schools, and even one residential cable provider
in Canada. These all required heavy modification to get running
securely, which we have never been submitted back upstream to us. For
any paid contract work you are looking for, there is a Google group set
up to handle that.

http://groups.google.com/group/mythtv-contractors
Re: Menu Theme Customization Request [ In reply to ]
First thank for Google group information.

Second, it is just about the first two levels of layout.

Example is Graphite with Classic Menu Theme

First layer have Settings, TV, Videos and Games (Settings to be hidden or
parental control protected, other 3 visible or without protection)

- TV layer have Watch TV, Watch Recordings, Previously Recorded (all 3 should be
available), Schedule Recordings (removing, no needs in client PC), System Status
(removing, no needs in client PC, or can be parental control protected), TV
settings ( (removing, exist in Settings submenu - second level).

- Videos is more simple, because it should to be removed just Video settings
(exist in Settings submenu - second level).

- Games no needs for changes at all.

- Music is similar to videos (but it is less important of all media).

- Other plugins, hard to expect to be installed for public usage (but it is not
too different situation).

________________________________

Re: Menu Theme Customization Request [ In reply to ]
On 23 September 2010 03:57, Ljubomir Manojlovic <komitaltrade@yahoo.com> wrote:
> First thank for Google group information.
>
> Second, it is just about the first two levels of layout.
>
> Example is Graphite with Classic Menu Theme
>
> First layer have Settings, TV, Videos and Games (Settings to be hidden or
> parental control protected, other 3 visible or without protection)

I do a similar thing for my parents machine ;)

[ Watch Recordings ]
[ Program Guide ]
[ Watch Live TV ]
[ Advanced ]

Its very simple and you can over ride the menu per linux user by
putting files in ~/.mythtv/

see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_development_guide

Cheers

--
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven
Re: Menu Theme Customization Request [ In reply to ]
Thanks.

Very useful, despite how my intention was to get some solution for public usage
(included in future versions) and I wanted to donate it.

________________________________

Re: Menu Theme Customization Request [ In reply to ]
On 23 September 2010 11:04, Ljubomir Manojlovic <komitaltrade@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Very useful, despite how my intention was to get some solution for public
> usage (included in future versions) and I wanted to donate it.

You might have better luck on the development list if you need code
changes (which it sounds like you do)

I'm sure you would find some one there interested

Cheers

Re: Menu Theme Customization Request [ In reply to ]
I tried, but no luck - nobody (I asked for Applications plugin - reduced version
of Myth Game plugin).

________________________________

Re: Menu Theme Customization Request [ In reply to ]
> I tried, but no luck - nobody (I asked for Applications plugin - reduced
> version of Myth Game plugin).

I'm surprised

You can launch apps from menu items

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_development_guide
EXEC someprogram - Executes a specified program
* Example: EXEC xine --fullscreen --no-splash dvd:/

Re: Menu Theme Customization Request [ In reply to ]
Yeah, I know, but you can not display all informations related to software and
eventually to launch some tutorials and/or manual. As it is about the Linux
cyber cafe, most of the users are not familiar with lot of the applications
(e.g. iPod users looking and asking for iTunes and I have gtkPod, they are
looking for Power Point, I have OO Presentation, etc.). So, idea is to let them
to browse the menu and browse descriptions and manuals/tutorials.