i can publish/upload it. can i upload it anywhere on the mythtv server
or should i use an own webspace.
here are already some little previews:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8369/epg.png
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8930/mainmenux.png

the background image will be different in the published theme but you
can see how the gui looks like

sorry for the bad english, i'm from germany ;)
Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Reto Wechner <retowechner@gmx.de> wrote:
> hey guys,
> i've just finished the work on a new theme. so i wanted to ask you where i
> can publish/upload it. can i upload it anywhere on the mythtv server or
> should i use an own webspace.
> here are already some little previews:
> http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8369/epg.png
> http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8930/mainmenux.png
>
> the background image will be different in the published theme but you can
> see how the gui looks like
>
> sorry for the bad english, i'm from germany ;)

Reto,

Please host it yourself or on a file sharing service and put the link here.

Thanks.

Robert
Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Reto Wechner <retowechner@gmx.de> wrote:
>> hey guys,
>> i've just finished the work on a new theme. so i wanted to ask you where i
>> can publish/upload it. can i upload it anywhere on the mythtv server or
>> should i use an own webspace.
>> here are already some little previews:
>> http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8369/epg.png
>> http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8930/mainmenux.png
>>
>> the background image will be different in the published theme but you can
>> see how the gui looks like
>>
>> sorry for the bad english, i'm from germany ;)
>
> Reto,
>
> Please host it yourself or on a file sharing service and put the link here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robert

Oh, and if you are using non-standard fonts, as it seems like you
might be, let us know where to get those.

Robert
Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
oh i completely forgot the fonts
yes i'm using Impact. I think this is a microsoft font. Can i use this
font or is it prohibited by gpl?

Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
On 01/28/2010 12:33 PM, Reto Wechner wrote:
> oh i completely forgot the fonts
> yes i'm using Impact. I think this is a microsoft font. Can i use this
> font or is it prohibited by gpl?

You can't (shouldn't? talk to your lawyer :) redistribute Impact. You
can reference it in your theme, but if the user doesn't have the font
installed on their system, they'll see the wrong font (with no warnings
whatsoever) or see no font at all (depending on system configuration).

The Impact font is part of the MS core web fonts. Most MythTV users
have installed (or, at least, have font replacements specified for)
those fonts because most of our old themes used Arial, another of the MS
core web fonts.

You may include a README that references
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fonts_for_the_Web and/or
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/ and/or the package names used by
various distros.

Another option is changing the font to a freely-redistributable or open
font, though doing so may require changes to the areas in your theme
(which may be a challenge to complete properly before the deadline).

Mike
Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
ok i solved the problem with the fonts. i'm now using this one:
http://www.yanone.de/typedesign/kaffeesatz/

now i'm ready to submit my theme too.
it's a mostly transparent theme with blue buttons and items. because of
the transparent gui its usable for custom backgrounds (as seen in the
screenshots) so everybody can personalise the theme by copying his
favourite wallpaper (be sure that the resolution of the picture is
1920x1200) to /usr/share/mythtv/themes/TransBlue.
So here are the screenshots showing how i use the theme (with a volcom
snowboarding wallpaper)

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8369/epg.png
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8930/mainmenux.png
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7230/musicig.png

and thats how the theme looks like with the default background:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5199/epgdefault.png
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1446/mainmenudefault.png
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/777/musicdefault.png
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1013/osdinfo.png
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9191/osdstatus.png
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4876/videogallerydefault.png
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1610/videotreedefault.png
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3010/watchrecordings2.png

and the most important part, the theme itself

File-Upload.net - TransBlue.tar.gz

Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
i'm sorry here is the right link

http://www.file-upload.net/download-2205615/TransBlue.tar.gz.html

Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
On 01/28/2010 04:50 PM, Reto Wechner wrote:
> i'm sorry here is the right link
>
> http://www.file-upload.net/download-2205615/TransBlue.tar.gz.html

You should probably put a LICENSE file or something in the distribution
and mention the license for the kaffesatz font and provide the link to
the website, as mentioned in the "Download" section at the bottom of the
page at http://www.yanone.de/typedesign/kaffeesatz/ . See the LICENSE
file in Robert McNamara's Arclight theme as an example (
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/myththemes/Arclight/LICENSE ).
It would also allow you to put the license info for you theme in there, too.

Might also want a README or INSTALL file that mentions the need to
install the fonts on the system before using the theme.

Also, you might want to go through and delete all the "backup" files
your text editor made before creating the tarball (i.e. *.xml~ ). Just
helps clean it up. :)

That said, the theme looks good.

Thanks,
Mike
Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
well okay thank you very much for your hints. so i've created an INSTALL
and a LICENSE file. i hope i did everything right because i'm not very
familiar with things like that. so here is the (i hope) final version,
with these two files and some little changes, of my theme:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-2211963/TransBlue.tar.gz.html

i hope you'll like it and i'm looking forward to your ratings

reto

Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
> well okay thank you very much for your hints. so i've created an INSTALL
> and a LICENSE file. i hope i did everything right because i'm not very
> familiar with things like that. so here is the (i hope) final version,
> with these two files and some little changes, of my theme:
>
> http://www.file-upload.net/download-2211963/TransBlue.tar.gz.html
>
> i hope you'll like it and i'm looking forward to your ratings

Do not know what other people think but it would be great (and I guess
would make looking at new themes easier for the normal user) if there
was some actual screenshots of what the theme looks like in action -
even if they are just put on imageshack or something?
Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 4:14 PM, nospam312 <nospam312@gmail.com> wrote:
>> well okay thank you very much for your hints. so i've created an INSTALL
>> and a LICENSE file. i hope i did everything right because i'm not very
>> familiar with things like that. so here is the (i hope) final version,
>> with these two files and some little changes, of my theme:
>>
>> http://www.file-upload.net/download-2211963/TransBlue.tar.gz.html
>>
>> i hope you'll like it and i'm looking forward to your ratings
>
> Do not know what other people think but it would be great (and I guess
> would make looking at new themes easier for the normal user) if there
> was some actual screenshots of what the theme looks like  in action -
> even if they are just put on imageshack or something?

When we are ready to present all the themes eligible for the
competition and solicit public feedback, we will post a location where
you can look at them.

Robert
Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
> When we are ready to present all the themes eligible for the
> competition and solicit public feedback, we will post a location where
> you can look at them.

Sounds great.

After just updating to 0.22 I am really looking forward to what people
have managed to do with the new MythUI.
Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
well i've just found a bug in my osd. here is the version with the fix.
maybe it's too late for the competition but i want to publish it anyway.
there are also some little additions and fixes (updirectory in mythvideo
and space on the filesystem in the watch recordings screen)

http://www.file-upload.net/download-2218849/TransBlue.tar.gz.html

@nospam312

i've posted some screenshots of my theme in an earlier mail:

Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Reto Wechner <retowechner@gmx.de> wrote:
> well i've just found a bug in my osd. here is the version with the fix.
> maybe it's too late for the competition but i want to publish it anyway.
> there are also some little additions and fixes (updirectory in mythvideo
> and space on the filesystem in the watch recordings screen)

Reto,

As you may have seen, we have extended the final date for the
competition to the 15th. That said, you have some serious completion
issues with your theme, and it does not currently meet the minimum
requirements for entry. You have not themed MythWeather, or MythNews,
haven't themed most of the MythUI settings screens like the few found
in mythtv-setup, the DVD, CD, and music file import screens, etc. I
urge you to re-read the rules and the references for all the -ui files
and complete the many missing screens before the due date so that we
can accept your theme for the competition.

Robert
Re: new theme/join the competition [ In reply to ]
> Reto,
>
> As you may have seen, we have extended the final date for the
> competition to the 15th. That said, you have some serious completion
> issues with your theme, and it does not currently meet the minimum
> requirements for entry. You have not themed MythWeather, or MythNews,
> haven't themed most of the MythUI settings screens like the few found
> in mythtv-setup, the DVD, CD, and music file import screens, etc. I
> urge you to re-read the rules and the references for all the -ui files
> and complete the many missing screens before the due date so that we
> can accept your theme for the competition.
>
> Robert

Ok thank you very much for your second chance. I knew that my theme
doesn't include mythweather and mythnews, but i didn't have enough time
and i don't use these plugins for myself, so i didn't theme it yet, but
i will do it now. The DVD, CD and music-import screens are new to me
because i didn't use them yet but i will do them too. But i didn't find
the settings screens you mentioned. i did the channeleditor and the
icondownload screens so whats missing in the mythtv-setup?

But i've got another issue too. When i'm using my osd with videos with a
bad resolution (for example 352 x 288), the statusbar gets strange
colours, that means that the bar is for example pink instead of the
normal blue. could this be a scaling issue?