GPL release.

Am I to assume this is your submission for the contest?

MarcT
Re: Arclight [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM, MarcT <myrdhn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>

> I would like to thank you for your work on this theme and thank you for the
> GPL release.
>
> Am I to assume this is your submission for the contest?
>

> MarcT

Hi Marc,

I'm not eligible for the theme contest, as one of the judges and a
Myth dev, so it's just "in the world." It's been at more or less this
state for a bit, but needed John Poets variable size buttonlist patch
to be reviewed and committed to be released.

Robert
Re: Arclight [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM, MarcT <myrdhn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Robert,
>>

>> I would like to thank you for your work on this theme and thank you for the
>> GPL release.
>>
>> Am I to assume this is your submission for the contest?
>>

>> MarcT
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> I'm not eligible for the theme contest, as one of the judges and a
> Myth dev, so it's just "in the world."  It's been at more or less this
> state for a bit, but needed John Poets variable size buttonlist patch
> to be reviewed and committed to be released.
>
> Robert

Plus I organized the contest, the prizes, and wrote the rules so it
wouldn't seem very fair if I was eligible :)

Robert
Re: Arclight [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM, MarcT <myrdhn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Robert,
>>

>> I would like to thank you for your work on this theme and thank you for
the
>> GPL release.
>>
>> Am I to assume this is your submission for the contest?
>>

>> MarcT
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> I'm not eligible for the theme contest, as one of the judges and a
> Myth dev, so it's just "in the world."  It's been at more or less this
> state for a bit, but needed John Poets variable size buttonlist patch
> to be reviewed and committed to be released.
>
> Robert

Plus I organized the contest, the prizes, and wrote the rules so it
wouldn't seem very fair if I was eligible :)

Robert

Good point.
If we users had any say in it thou I would vote for you.

I was kinda right about the comment about no one being able to out do you
last year.
The only one to out do you (Graphite) was you (Arclight). I can't wait to
see the OSD additions.

MarcT

Re: Arclight [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:43 AM, MarcT <myrdhn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:27 AM, MarcT <myrdhn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Robert,
>>>

>>> I would like to thank you for your work on this theme and thank you for
> the
>>> GPL release.
>>>
>>> Am I to assume this is your submission for the contest?
>>>

>>> MarcT
>>
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> I'm not eligible for the theme contest, as one of the judges and a
>> Myth dev, so it's just "in the world."  It's been at more or less this
>> state for a bit, but needed John Poets variable size buttonlist patch
>> to be reviewed and committed to be released.
>>
>> Robert
>>

> Plus I organized the contest, the prizes, and wrote the rules so it
> wouldn't seem very fair if I was eligible :)
>
> Robert
>
> Good point.
> If we users had any say in it thou I would vote for you.
>
> I was kinda right about the comment about no one being able to out do you
> last year.
> The only one to out do you (Graphite) was you (Arclight). I can't wait to
> see the OSD additions.
>
> MarcT

Glad you like it, thanks a lot for the kind words. :) Hopefully
people pay attention to the commit and install the fonts. My big fear
is that people will ignore the instructions/fail to do it and think
"Yuck, what's THIS thing??" :)

Robert
Re: Arclight [ In reply to ]
> Good point.
> If we users had any say in it thou I would vote for you.
>
> I was kinda right about the comment about no one being able to out do you
> last year.
> The only one to out do you (Graphite) was you (Arclight). I can't wait to
> see the OSD additions.
>
> MarcT

Glad you like it, thanks a lot for the kind words. :) Hopefully
people pay attention to the commit and install the fonts. My big fear
is that people will ignore the instructions/fail to do it and think
"Yuck, what's THIS thing??" :)

Robert

Well, I know people who are using my gentoo overlay should be fine once I
code for it.
I'm going to add the install of the fonts into my ebuild, unless I can find
them in an existing font package and just make mythtv depend on that.

Marc

Re: Arclight [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:54 AM, MarcT <myrdhn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I know people who are using my gentoo overlay should be fine once I
> code for it.
> I'm going to add the install of the fonts into my ebuild, unless I can find
> them in an existing font package and just make mythtv depend on that.
>
> Marc

I suspect you'll have to have your build install the fonts, as they
are definitely off-the-beaten path, but either way will hopefully
work. I suspect the Mythbuntu guys will also handle it "nicely" when
they get around to it.

Robert
Re: Arclight [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:54 AM, MarcT <myrdhn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I know people who are using my gentoo overlay should be fine once I
> code for it.
> I'm going to add the install of the fonts into my ebuild, unless I can
find
> them in an existing font package and just make mythtv depend on that.
>
> Marc

I suspect you'll have to have your build install the fonts, as they
are definitely off-the-beaten path, but either way will hopefully
work. I suspect the Mythbuntu guys will also handle it "nicely" when
they get around to it.

Robert

Robert,

I finally got to play with Arclight last night.
What prompted some of the changes that you have made to what was uploaded
when compared to the screenshots at http://www.fecitfacta.com/Arclight/
I still like it but some of the things from the screenshots you have posted
are different and was wondering why the change.

Things of note, the menu is different, we have an up/down menu instead of
the side to side one in the screenshots.
Also the media player widget is missing.
http://www.fecitfacta.com/Arclight/Gallery_files/Media/widgets/widgets.jpg
Another thing is that the watch recordings screen is laid out different from
the screens as well. The left side has the description in it in addition to
the right side under the episode when you scroll through the list. Not an
issue but why the duplication?
Most of the screens also look like the transparency has been decreased. Was
this to increase readability?

MarcT

Re: Arclight [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM, MarcT <myrdhn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I finally got to play with Arclight last night.
> What prompted some of the changes that you have made to what was uploaded
> when compared to the screenshots at http://www.fecitfacta.com/Arclight/

Things change as themes mature. Personally I am happier with the
finished product than with what was in those screenshots.

> I still like it but some of the things from the screenshots you have posted
> are different and was wondering why the change.

Personal preference, tweaks, part of the process, it was Tuesday, etc.

> Things of note, the menu is different, we have an up/down menu instead of
> the side to side one in the screenshots.

Certain whiny users who refuse to use horizontal menus (not referring
to you with this), overall theme panel consistency, it was Sunday,
etc.

> Also the media player widget is missing.
> http://www.fecitfacta.com/Arclight/Gallery_files/Media/widgets/widgets.jpg

Nope, still there, that's the MythMusic miniplayer. Start music in
MythMusic, exit with prompts turned on and choose to continue playing,
then invoke the miniplayer with your miniplayer keybinding.

> Another thing is that the watch recordings screen is laid out different from
> the screens as well. The left side has the description in it in addition to
> the right side under the episode when you scroll through the list. Not an
> issue but why the duplication?

Personal preference, the ability to see the plot in context with the
artwork and while looking at the buttonlist, it was Thursday, etc.

> Most of the screens also look like the transparency has been decreased. Was
> this to increase readability?

Depending on which particular parts you had in mind, yes, that's the
likely reason I would have made certain panels more opaque.

Robert
Re: Arclight [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another thing is that the watch recordings screen is laid out different from
>> the screens as well. The left side has the description in it in addition to
>> the right side under the episode when you scroll through the list. Not an
>> issue but why the duplication?
>
> Personal preference, the ability to see the plot in context with the
> artwork and while looking at the buttonlist, it was Thursday, etc.

Another thing to note on this particular point is that (in a
public-facing theme, anyway) you have to take into account those users
who user/prefer to use fanart/coverart/etc. and those who do not. The
former design left the "hanging" screenshot when the user had no
artwork, which looked pretty bad, while the new one looks pretty good
with or without the optional artwork. The addition of the
title/subtitle/description on the left also added a great deal of
consistency with the other screens-- nearly every screen that contains
this information or direct parallels to them presents it here, so the
user always knows where to look. But, if the user is just browsing
quickly through their buttonlist of recordings, they can also quickly
scan the description without switching focus back and forth between
the buttonlist and the info panel.

Robert