Mailing List Archive

New to theming
Hi I am new to this mailing list, but have been on mythtv-users for
ages and also run mythtv-nz. Yes I am a kiwi :) I have been playing
with myth on and off since about 0.18 (I think) but really making good
use of it since about 0.20.

First, can I say that someone needs to add this mailing list to the
ones mentioned here:

http://www.mythtv.org/support/

Presently it only refers to -users -dev and -commits.

Now my real question, how do the pros develop their themes? Whats the
'workflow'?

I have done some very light gui development using stuff like visual
studio or delphi where you can interactively place widgets in a dialog
box and then incorporate the results in a wider program.

Is there anything similar for placing widgets in a myth theme? Or do
people just write their xml code and then reload themes in a frontend
to see if it looks right? That seems like a fairly time consuming
process, especially as I read on -users today that you need to restart
mythfrontend to make use of any changes to a theme.

Also whats a good version control system to use for developing themes?

Thanks for any input/tips, cheers.
Re: New to theming [ In reply to ]
Hi Nick,

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> Presently it only refers to -users -dev and -commits.

I agree. I have made the case for same in the past but will pester the
appropriate folks more compellingly. :)

> Now my real question, how do the pros develop their themes? Whats the
> 'workflow'?

Check the archive on the list, as I've gone over it a bit generally in
the past (and there is probably better info there when I sat down
purposefully). In short, I lay out each widget type in inkscape,
bearing in mind the required elements of each (check out the Theme
development docs to understand the component parts). Once I've got
them all worked out, I export any graphical elements, and start work
on the base.xml file for the theme. In a perfect world I would theme
*all* the widgets before starting to lay things out, but to date I
really only theme the widgets in XML when I need them the first time.
So, now we have both a visual layout template (the widgets represented
in Inkscape) and the XML version (base.xml).

Then I would open up a blank document in Inkscape with the same
dimensions as a theme screen, and start laying out whatever screen I
wanted to work on first (if working from scratch, that would need to
be menu-ui.xml, but if starting with another theme, it could be
anything. I lay out all the required and non-required widgets. Once
I'm happy with the layout, I start translating it into XML using the
Inkscape coordinate information. In my earlier post on this topic, I
explain how to translate the Inkscape stuff into Myth compatible
coordinates.

> I have done some very light gui development using stuff like visual
> studio or delphi where you can interactively place widgets in a dialog
> box and then incorporate the results in a wider program.
>
> Is there anything similar for placing widgets in a myth theme? Or do
> people just write their xml code and then reload themes in a frontend
> to see if it looks right? That seems like a fairly time consuming
> process, especially as I read on -users today that you need to restart
> mythfrontend to make use of any changes to a theme.

No WYSIWYG editor yet, though such a thing would be nice (though
necessarily pretty complex). You only need to restart your frontend
if you change menu-ui.xml or base.xml. Everything else you can just
leave and re-enter the screen to see your changes take effect. It is,
however, still a time-intensive process.

> Also whats a good version control system to use for developing themes?

Whatever you're comfortable with, I imagine. I will admit I use no
version control at all right now, though I really, really should.

Robert
Re: New to theming [ In reply to ]
Hi Nick,

I do it differently, when creating a theme. I copy the default-wide xml file to my theme so I have all the widgets already in the xml file.
Then I open the file in an editor and get started. I use al lot of shapes and boxes instead of images. This makes changes much easier.

You can edit the xml file and have mythfrontend open in parallel. When you want to see the changes you just leave the screen you are currently editing and go back into it. Mythfrontend reloads the xml file every time and shows it. This really speeds up theme development. You can therefore better adjust the sizes and positions of the widgets.

Best regards

Robert S

Re: New to theming [ In reply to ]
If someone wanted to create a full theme how would you know all the
screens/dialogs you needed? I use only about 10% (if even) of myth
functionality so not even sure what screens exist. Would a grep of
UIUtilW::Assign be a starter or does a list exists anywhere?

PS. Robert - Great theme dev docs on the wiki! Thanks! My wife only has
eyes for blootube-wide so I have been hacking it with bits of terra and
graphite. Also changing images to shapes where possible.

Damian O'Sullivan Tel: 087 2241456 damian@linux.ie

Re: New to theming [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Damian O'Sullivan <shabba@skynet.ie> wrote:

> If someone wanted to create a full theme how would you know all the
> screens/dialogs you needed? I use only about 10% (if even) of myth
> functionality so not even sure what screens exist. Would a grep of
> UIUtilW::Assign be a starter or does a list exists anywhere?

Each of the screen names in the MythUI docs is a link to a page that
shows you all the required screens and within them, each required
widget.

Robert
Re: New to theming [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Robert McNamara wrote:
> Each of the screen names in the MythUI docs is a link to a page that
> shows you all the required screens and within them, each required
> widget.
>
> Robert

Well bugger me how long did that take you?! So blue means a link
in HTML :-) Thanks Robert.

Damian O'Sullivan Tel: 087 2241456 damian@linux.ie
Re: New to theming [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Damian O'Sullivan <shabba@skynet.ie> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Robert McNamara wrote:
>>
>> Each of the screen names in the MythUI docs is a link to a page that
>> shows you all the required screens and within them, each required
>> widget.
>>
>> Robert
>
> Well bugger me how long did that take you?! So blue means a link in HTML :-)
> Thanks Robert.

A long, long, long.... long... time. :)

Robert