screen? I think I need to edit the mythvideo plugin to expose them.

Thanks,

Damian O'Sullivan Tel: 087 2241456 damian@linux.ie
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 08 Aug 2009 10:02:23 Damian O'Sullivan wrote:
> One think I don't like is that in gallery mode all videos from a series
> have dame image file and title. What I would like to do is change the
> image to be the screenshot instead of coverfile and change the title under
> each to be the subtitle. This make distinguishing between epsidoes on the
> screen easier than having to go through each to find the episode number I
> want. Are these values (screenshot/subtitle) available from the gallery
> screen? I think I need to edit the mythvideo plugin to expose them.

All elements are available in each single screen. In the underlying code they
are actually the same screen, only difference between each is the theme xml.
You could make the gallery look like the browse screen, or vice-versa.

--
Stuart Morgan
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009, Stuart Morgan wrote:

> All elements are available in each single screen. In the underlying code they
> are actually the same screen, only difference between each is the theme xml.
> You could make the gallery look like the browse screen, or vice-versa.

There seem to be some elements that can't be changed easily. For example
if I change title to subtitle I lose directory names as a default. Also if
I change buttonimage to screenshot I lose the abiltiy to use folder.png
for directories. There is a very strong chance I am just doing something
plain wrong!

Thanks,

D.
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009, Damian O'Sullivan wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 2009, Stuart Morgan wrote:
>
>> All elements are available in each single screen. In the underlying code
>> they
>> are actually the same screen, only difference between each is the theme
>> xml.
>> You could make the gallery look like the browse screen, or vice-versa.
>
> There seem to be some elements that can't be changed easily. For example if I
> change title to subtitle I lose directory names as a default. Also if I
> change buttonimage to screenshot I lose the abiltiy to use folder.png for
> directories. There is a very strong chance I am just doing something plain
> wrong!

Can anyone help here? Robert's changes to mythvideo are very sweet but in
gallery mode going into a Season folder will give you 20 odd icons that
are exact same and have same name (title) under them. I would like to have
the screenshot as the icon in this scenario and the subtitle as the name
under the icon (or even the ep num). I can't seem to do this from
video-ui.xml at all.

Thanks,

D.

Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Damian O'Sullivan<shabba@skynet.ie> wrote:

> Can anyone help here? Robert's changes to mythvideo are very sweet but in
> gallery mode going into a Season folder will give you 20 odd icons that are
> exact same and have same name (title) under them. I would like to have the
> screenshot as the icon in this scenario and the subtitle as the name under
> the icon (or even the ep num). I can't seem to do this from video-ui.xml at
> all.

What you are looking to do is not possible at the moment. In
Mythvideo, the button image is hard coded to the coverfile, and
moreover there's no way of treating different levels of a tree with
different formatting. I'll eventually look at the former, the latter
would be changed in libmythui.

Robert
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Robert McNamara wrote:

> What you are looking to do is not possible at the moment. In
> Mythvideo, the button image is hard coded to the coverfile, and
> moreover there's no way of treating different levels of a tree with
> different formatting. I'll eventually look at the former, the latter
> would be changed in libmythui.

By the latter you mean different formatting for the different levels? I
had not even thought of something like that but it would be quite cool to
be able to have gallery view for a certain folder and list or something
else. Actually now that I think of it I think there was some talk of
directory metadata a while back.

Damian O'Sullivan Tel: 087 2241456 damian@linux.ie

Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Damian O'Sullivan<shabba@skynet.ie> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Robert McNamara wrote:
>>
>> What you are looking to do is not possible at the moment.  In
>> Mythvideo, the button image is hard coded to the coverfile, and
>> moreover there's no way of treating different levels of a tree with
>> different formatting.  I'll eventually look at the former, the latter
>> would be changed in libmythui.
>
> By the latter you mean different formatting for the different levels? I had
> not even thought of something like that but it would be quite cool to be
> able to have gallery view for a certain folder and list or something else.
> Actually now that I think of it I think there was some talk of directory
> metadata a while back.

Not exactly what I meant, I meant that you cannot have different
textareas/imagetypes on different levels of the same tree, since the
tree is defined as a single MythUI widget. Yes, I have a dream about
directory metadata and even have a proof of concept patch in trac, but
it's nothing that is near done. I expect that it will be written
differently in the ultimate implementation and once that exists, I'll
work on adding folder metadata and settings in MythVideo.

Robert
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Robert
McNamara<robert.mcnamara@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Damian O'Sullivan<shabba@skynet.ie> wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Robert McNamara wrote:
>>>
>>> What you are looking to do is not possible at the moment.  In
>>> Mythvideo, the button image is hard coded to the coverfile, and
>>> moreover there's no way of treating different levels of a tree with
>>> different formatting.  I'll eventually look at the former, the latter
>>> would be changed in libmythui.
>>
>> By the latter you mean different formatting for the different levels? I had
>> not even thought of something like that but it would be quite cool to be
>> able to have gallery view for a certain folder and list or something else.
>> Actually now that I think of it I think there was some talk of directory
>> metadata a while back.
>
> Not exactly what I meant, I meant that you cannot have different
> textareas/imagetypes on different levels of the same tree, since the
> tree is defined as a single MythUI widget.  Yes, I have a dream about
> directory metadata and even have a proof of concept patch in trac, but
> it's nothing that is near done.  I expect that it will be written
> differently in the ultimate implementation and once that exists, I'll
> work on adding folder metadata and settings in MythVideo.
>
> Robert

Oh, and in other MythVideo news, svn up and check out the new "Browse
By..." modes in MythVideo, I'm rather proud of them :)

Robert
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Robert McNamara wrote:

> Oh, and in other MythVideo news, svn up and check out the new "Browse
> By..." modes in MythVideo, I'm rather proud of them :)

Nice! Just tried by genre. How do you decide what coverfile to use?

Damian O'Sullivan Tel: 087 2241456 damian@linux.ie

Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Damian O'Sullivan<shabba@skynet.ie> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Robert McNamara wrote:
>
>> Oh, and in other MythVideo news, svn up and check out the new "Browse
>> By..." modes in MythVideo, I'm rather proud of them :)
>
> Nice! Just tried by genre. How do you decide what coverfile to use?
>
> Damian O'Sullivan  Tel: 087 2241456    damian@linux.ie

Metadata browse modes use the first valid node within the "virtual"
folder. Since there's no physical file structure to hunt within, this
is the only way to do it. Down the road I have some thoughts about
other options to populate those images by context/what they are.

Robert
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
So, I'm trying to work out how to do something similar.

I have a set of videos that didn't originate in recordings. Well, they
actually did, but they're music videos, and I edited the show to break them
down into their component videos. At the moment they show blank images in
the gallery view, and it is unlikely that they'll get metadata downloaded
unless I'm spectacularly lucky.

What would be nice is to use screenshots for each. What would be even
better is to be able to select the screenshot during playback - have a menu
item that lets you pause it and then say "set screenshot as coverfile" or
similar. But actually, anything that worked would be OK - something that
gets a screenshot the same way as recorded programmes do would also be
nice.

I'm not sure whether this exists already, or whether it needs something
written. I know I could write a script that uses ffmpeg or mencoder to
grab a screenshot, and I think I could probably pick where in the video to
get it from by just grabbing the current position in the video (assuming
you've watched it and then exited at a particular point - that must be
saved in the database somewhere). And I think I saw an enhancement go up
that said people could build custom screenshot grabbers.

But before I spend time trying to work out how to do all that, the question
is whether I'm on the right track, whether there's another way I'm not
thinking of, or whether there is something coming already that would
provide some sort of screen shot.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On 08/16/2009 04:39 AM, paul10 wrote:
> So, I'm trying to work out how to do something similar.
>
> I have a set of videos that didn't originate in recordings. Well, they
> actually did, but they're music videos, and I edited the show to break them
> down into their component videos. At the moment they show blank images in
> the gallery view, and it is unlikely that they'll get metadata downloaded
> unless I'm spectacularly lucky.
>
> What would be nice is to use screenshots for each. What would be even
> better is to be able to select the screenshot during playback - have a menu
> item that lets you pause it and then say "set screenshot as coverfile" or
> similar. But actually, anything that worked would be OK - something that
> gets a screenshot the same way as recorded programmes do would also be
> nice.

Bind a key to SCREENSHOT in the TV Playback context using MythControls.
Then, hit that key during playback or when paused. Then, check
$HOME/.mythtv for the screenshot image.

Mike
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
> Bind a key to SCREENSHOT in the TV Playback context using MythControls.
> Then, hit that key during playback or when paused. Then, check
> $HOME/.mythtv for the screenshot image.

I've done this, and it reports "screenshot taken successfully." Can't find
the thing though :-). My $HOME is set to my home directory (/home/paul),
but in .mythtv there is no screenshot. Would this be the home directory of
the user that the frontend is running under, or the $HOME of the backend?
Is there any other variable anywhere that controls it that I may have
overwritten?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On 08/17/2009 07:17 PM, paul10 wrote:
>> Bind a key to SCREENSHOT in the TV Playback context using MythControls.
>> Then, hit that key during playback or when paused. Then, check
>> $HOME/.mythtv for the screenshot image.
>>
> I've done this, and it reports "screenshot taken successfully." Can't find
> the thing though :-). My $HOME is set to my home directory (/home/paul),
> but in .mythtv there is no screenshot. Would this be the home directory of
> the user that the frontend is running under, or the $HOME of the backend?
> Is there any other variable anywhere that controls it that I may have
> overwritten?

It should be the HOME of the user running mythfrontend. Note that some
distros have start scripts that change the HOME environment variable to
refer to some directory that's not in /home before starting myth apps,
so really, you'll have to check out how your mythfrontend is started to
know for sure where it is.

Mike

Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
paul10@planar.id.au wrote:
>> Bind a key to SCREENSHOT in the TV Playback context using MythControls.
>> Then, hit that key during playback or when paused. Then, check
>> $HOME/.mythtv for the screenshot image.
>>

> I've done this, and it reports "screenshot taken successfully." Can't find
> the thing though :-). My $HOME is set to my home directory (/home/paul),
> but in .mythtv there is no screenshot. Would this be the home directory of
> the user that the frontend is running under, or the $HOME of the backend?
> Is there any other variable anywhere that controls it that I may have
> overwritten?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Looks like the default location is in /tmp but can be changed by
editing the ScreenShotPath setting in the DB.

It does say in the FE log where the screenshot has been saved. Oddly I
seem to be getting 5 screenshots for each press of the SCREENSHOT key!!

Paul H.
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On 08/18/2009 01:18 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> paul10 wrote:
>
>>> Bind a key to SCREENSHOT in the TV Playback context using MythControls.
>>> Then, hit that key during playback or when paused. Then, check
>>> $HOME/.mythtv for the screenshot image.
>> I've done this, and it reports "screenshot taken successfully." Can't find
>> the thing though :-). My $HOME is set to my home directory (/home/paul),
>> but in .mythtv there is no screenshot. Would this be the home directory of
>> the user that the frontend is running under, or the $HOME of the backend?
>> Is there any other variable anywhere that controls it that I may have
>> overwritten?
> Looks like the default location is in /tmp but can be changed by
> editing the ScreenShotPath setting in the DB.

Well, that's another thing...

There's both an in-playback screenshot capability that uses the
SCREENSHOT *keybinding* and a GUI screenshot capability which uses the
ScreenShot (yes, capitalized differently) *jumppoint*. The in-playback
screenshot is in libs/libmythtv/tv_play.cpp in TV::ActiveHandleAction()
around line 4160. The GUI screenshot is in the
MythMainWindow::screenShot() functions.

The GUI screenshot uses ScreenShotPath, but the in-playback screenshot
doesn't:

QString outFile =
QString("%1/.mythtv/%2_%3_%4.png")
.arg(QDir::homePath()).arg(ctx->playingInfo->chanid)
.arg(ctx->playingInfo->recstartts.toString("yyyyMMddhhmmss"))
.arg((long)frameNumber);

TTBOMK, the GUI screenshot jumppoint still only works in TV playback
with certain renderers and, when it works, includes the OSD. The
in-playback screenshot keybinding works with all renderers and does not
include the OSD (or captions or ...).

See http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/16532 for more on the GUI
screenshot jumppoint and http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/12908 for
the in-playback screenshot keybinding stuff.

Yeah, I know. Consistency... If no one else gets to it, I may actually
find some time to work on improving the consistency (including allowing
the jumppoint to fall-back to using the in-playback screenshot
capability when we're using a renderer that won't work with the
jumppoint capability), but it will be a while. It's been on my TODO
since the GUI screenshot went in, but it's not high on my list (at all).

> It does say in the FE log where the screenshot has been saved. Oddly I
> seem to be getting 5 screenshots for each press of the SCREENSHOT key!!

Haven't tried it on trunk, so I haven't seen that. Is that the GUI
screenshot or the in-playback "video" screenshot or some weird issue
resulting from having both the keybinding and the jumppoint mapped to
the same key?

Mike
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Looks like the default location is in /tmp but can be changed by
>> editing the ScreenShotPath setting in the DB.
>>

> Well, that's another thing...
>
> There's both an in-playback screenshot capability that uses the
> SCREENSHOT *keybinding* and a GUI screenshot capability which uses the
> ScreenShot (yes, capitalized differently) *jumppoint*. The
> in-playback screenshot is in libs/libmythtv/tv_play.cpp in
> TV::ActiveHandleAction() around line 4160. The GUI screenshot is in
> the MythMainWindow::screenShot() functions.
>
> The GUI screenshot uses ScreenShotPath, but the in-playback screenshot
> doesn't:
>
> QString outFile =
> QString("%1/.mythtv/%2_%3_%4.png")
> .arg(QDir::homePath()).arg(ctx->playingInfo->chanid)
> .arg(ctx->playingInfo->recstartts.toString("yyyyMMddhhmmss"))
> .arg((long)frameNumber);
>
> TTBOMK, the GUI screenshot jumppoint still only works in TV playback
> with certain renderers and, when it works, includes the OSD. The
> in-playback screenshot keybinding works with all renderers and does
> not include the OSD (or captions or ...).
>
> See http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/16532 for more on the GUI
> screenshot jumppoint and http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/12908
> for the in-playback screenshot keybinding stuff.
>
> Yeah, I know. Consistency... If no one else gets to it, I may
> actually find some time to work on improving the consistency
> (including allowing the jumppoint to fall-back to using the
> in-playback screenshot capability when we're using a renderer that
> won't work with the jumppoint capability), but it will be a while.
> It's been on my TODO since the GUI screenshot went in, but it's not
> high on my list (at all).

Ah didn't know there was two different keybindings for screenshots.

>> It does say in the FE log where the screenshot has been saved. Oddly I
>> seem to be getting 5 screenshots for each press of the SCREENSHOT key!!
>
> Haven't tried it on trunk, so I haven't seen that. Is that the GUI
> screenshot or the in-playback "video" screenshot or some weird issue
> resulting from having both the keybinding and the jumppoint mapped to
> the same key?

I was using the jumppoint to take a screenshot of a menu when I got 5
images. Doing the same in live tv and I get 2 images so there is
something broken somewhere. Nothing is bound to the TV
Playback/SCREENSHOT binding.

> Mike

Paul H.
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
> > screenshot or the in-playback "video" screenshot or some weird issue
> > resulting from having both the keybinding and the jumppoint mapped to
> > the same key?
> >

> I was using the jumppoint to take a screenshot of a menu when I got 5
> images. Doing the same in live tv and I get 2 images so there is
> something broken somewhere. Nothing is bound to the TV\

I remember a while back, just after the QT4 migration noticing this as well. It looked as if the jump point was being called multiple times but for me it went away before I could figure out why.

Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
> It should be the HOME of the user running mythfrontend. Note that some
> distros have start scripts that change the HOME environment variable to
> refer to some directory that's not in /home before starting myth apps,
> so really, you'll have to check out how your mythfrontend is started to
> know for sure where it is.

OK, worked it out. For some reason it's going into /tmp, that doesn't
appear to be controlled by my distribution as I'm running svn. Anyway, it
works and that's what matters.

I've built a script that takes that screenshot and puts it into the right
directory on my server, and updates my database to have a link to it. The
workflow here is:
- play the video, take one or more screenshots
- alt+tab to nautilus, look at the images in /tmp to work out which one I
like
- delete the ones I don't like from /tmp, the remaining one I drag onto
gimp to edit
- crop it to the bits I want, close + save
- alt+tab to console, run my script: ./setup_screenshot.pl "portion of
video filename"

It's pretty quick, and I'm very happy with the results. One day it would
be nice to integrate something like this into mythvideo, but then again,
there may be some new metadata that comes along that makes it redundant.

If anyone is interested in doing something like this, the script looks
something like this:
#!/usr/bin/perl

my $video_name = shift;

my $id_count = `mysql -u root mythconverg -e \"select count(intid) from
videometadata where filename like \\\"%$video_name%\\\";\" --raw --batch
--skip-column-names`;
print "mysql -u root mythconverg -e \"select count(intid) from
videometadata where filename like \\\"%$video_name%\\\";\" --raw --batch
--skip-column-names";

if ($id_count != "1") {
die "There is more than one, or no, video with that name";
}

my $database_id = `mysql -u root mythconverg -e \"select intid from
videometadata where filename like \\\"%$video_name%\\\";\" --raw --batch
--skip-column-names`;
my $filename = `mysql -u root mythconverg -e \"select filename from
videometadata where intid = $database_id;\" --raw --batch
--skip-column-names`;

$filename =~ /\/usr\/share\/mythtv\/server\/mythvideo\/Music
Videos\/(.*)\.avi/;

$filename = "/usr/share/mythtv/server/mythvideo/screenshots/" . $1 .
".png";

`mv /tmp/myth-sc* \"$filename\"`;

print "mysql -u root mythconverg -e \"update videometadata set coverfile
= \"$filename\" where intid = $database_id;";
`mysql -u root mythconverg -e \"update videometadata set coverfile =
\\\"$filename\\\" where intid = $database_id;\"`;

You'd obviously need to update some of the paths etc if you wanted to use
this on your own setup.

Thanks for the assistance,

Paul

Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 19 Aug 2009 01:41:40 paul10@planar.id.au wrote:
> It's pretty quick, and I'm very happy with the results. One day it would
> be nice to integrate something like this into mythvideo, but then again,
> there may be some new metadata that comes along that makes it redundant.

Before 0.22 is released we'll have preview generator support in mythvideo,
I've already made the necessary changes to the preview generator itself, the
rest is very simple.
--
Stuart Morgan
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
Some of what people are looking for here should be handled by r21370,
so you may want to SVN up.

I've set it such that the buttonimage will be the screenshot instead
of coverfile if the parent node and the item have the same title. The
buttontext will be the subtitle.

So, if you have

root->Television->Lost->Lost

Obviously the key here is to have your items set w/ title in the title
field and subtitle in the subtitle field. If you have legacy data or
a broken grabber script so the title field has "Lost 1x01 - Pilot,"
that won't work. You need title = Lost, Season = 1, episode = 1,
subtitle = pilot. The item nodes will use screenshots instead of
coverfile, and you will see the subtitle if the theme uses the
buttontext field (Terra does, Graphite does not).

Robert
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Robert McNamara wrote:

> Some of what people are looking for here should be handled by r21370,
> so you may want to SVN up.

Mucho Mucho gracious!!

Damian O'Sullivan Tel: 087 2241456 damian@linux.ie

Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]

> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Robert McNamara wrote:
>
>> Some of what people are looking for here should be handled by r21370,
>> so you may want to SVN up.

I have no myth for today as sitting room is being painted so excuse the
question!

Will this still work if the there is a season sub folder?

ie. /TVSeries/Lost/Season 1/Lost S01E01 - Subtitle.avi

Thanks,

D.
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
> Will this still work if the there is a season sub folder?

No it will not, but if you add the attached patch it will. I have mine in
seasonnumbered subfolders as well :)
Re: coverfile vs screenshot [ In reply to ]
> > Will this still work if the there is a season sub folder?
>

> No it will not, but if you add the attached patch it will. I have mine in
> seasonnumbered subfolders as well :)

You can forget this patch. I've commited the change.