Mailing List Archive

EIT guide problem with new MythTV Version
Hi,

I am a Hamilton user, new to the list, I have an issue with EIT data with
an HD HomeRun so thought I would try the NZ list first :-)

I also saw Roger Searle giving away a couple of HD HomeRuns, if one is
still available, I would be keen :-).

But anyway, back to my issue...

I have an old VM running mythtv 29, and I have recently created a new VM
running mythtv 33 according to the apt config (though mythbackend --version
reports version 32).

The new version is only populating an hour or so ahead of time (sometimes
less causing missing recordings) for a few of the channels.

I know the EIT data is OK, because I can shutdown the new VM and fire up
the old VM and within a couple of minutes, it has EIT data out to a week or
so.

I don't really know what is causing the problem, and I can't see anything
in the logs. Have also tried mythbackend --setverbose eit and mythbackend
--setloglevel debug but still have not been able to spot anything (that I
can understand, though I don't really know what I am looking for).

Just wondering if anyone else has the issue before I post more globally...
and even better, a way to solve them :-)

Regards
Colin
Re: EIT guide problem with new MythTV Version [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 16:21:00 +1200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am a Hamilton user, new to the list, I have an issue with EIT data with
>an HD HomeRun so thought I would try the NZ list first :-)
>
>I also saw Roger Searle giving away a couple of HD HomeRuns, if one is
>still available, I would be keen :-).
>
>But anyway, back to my issue...
>
>I have an old VM running mythtv 29, and I have recently created a new VM
>running mythtv 33 according to the apt config (though mythbackend --version
>reports version 32).

I would say you need to fix this problem first - it may be the cause
of your troubles. Have you installed the PPA so that you are getting
the v33-fixes version, rather than the original v33 in the standard
packages? When doing a big upgrade (between versions or changing to
the PPA) I have on occasion had the mythbackend package not install
until some of the other new MythTV packages were installed. Running
"apt update && apt full-upgrade && apt autoremove" a second time fixed
this. Note the "full-upgrade" option.

>The new version is only populating an hour or so ahead of time (sometimes
>less causing missing recordings) for a few of the channels.
>
>I know the EIT data is OK, because I can shutdown the new VM and fire up
>the old VM and within a couple of minutes, it has EIT data out to a week or
>so.
>
>I don't really know what is causing the problem, and I can't see anything
>in the logs. Have also tried mythbackend --setverbose eit and mythbackend
>--setloglevel debug but still have not been able to spot anything (that I
>can understand, though I don't really know what I am looking for).
>
>Just wondering if anyone else has the issue before I post more globally...
>and even better, a way to solve them :-)
>
>Regards
>Colin

There are two sorts of EIT EPG data, transmitted as separate streams.
The first is now/next data - it is only for the current programme and
the next programme. It seems like that is the data you are getting,
and I always thought that MythTV did not get that data. The other EIT
stream is full data for a week, which is the one you want.

For New Zealand, I do not recommend just using the over-the-air EIT
data, as there is information in it in non-standard formats (such as
series and episode numbers) that really should be processed to convert
it to the proper xmltv format before it is read by MythTV. The way
you do that is to grab the EIT or MHEG5 EPG data using an external
program, then process that data using the xlmtv-proc-nz program. There
are install instructions on list archives for doing this with
mhegepgsnoop, including the workaround for using HDHR tuners. But it
is not all in one intelligible post. So if you need or want to try
this, you should probably ask here for proper instructions.

Re: EIT guide problem with new MythTV Version [ In reply to ]
Thanks for that,

Interesting to hear the two different sorts of EIT data, that does look
like what is happening. Some channels seem to get the full, and others the
short...

In terms of installation, I started with a fresh Ubuntu 22.04, the version
that comes with that didn't work with mythweb complaining about missing
tables, so I (from a fresh install) followed the instructions here (
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu)

I will try again tomorrow from scratch just in case I did something wrong
(I did try a couple of installs, so I may have made a mistake somewhere on
this one)...

I can report back after that and see if I get a higher version number and
go from there.

Regards
Colin

Re: EIT guide problem with new MythTV Version [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 22:50:29 +1200, you wrote:

>Thanks for that,
>
>Interesting to hear the two different sorts of EIT data, that does look
>like what is happening. Some channels seem to get the full, and others the
>short...
>
>In terms of installation, I started with a fresh Ubuntu 22.04, the version
>that comes with that didn't work with mythweb complaining about missing
>tables, so I (from a fresh install) followed the instructions here (
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu)
>
>I will try again tomorrow from scratch just in case I did something wrong
>(I did try a couple of installs, so I may have made a mistake somewhere on
>this one)...
>
>I can report back after that and see if I get a higher version number and
>go from there.
>
>Regards
>Colin

The instructions on that page are not exactly comprehensive, and have
not been fully updated. Due to the mythbackend package problem, after
installing the PPA (add-apt-repository), do:

apt update && apt full-upgrade && apt autoremove

twice to ensure that all the packages have been fully upgraded to the
PPA versions. Then run:

mythtutil --version
mythbackend --version

and check they show the same version.

Re: EIT guide problem with new MythTV Version [ In reply to ]
So still struggling...

I did the "apt update && apt full-upgrade && apt autoremove" and managed to
get the mythtv versions moved to on both those commands 33. Yay! But it
still had the same problem.

This fresh install was on a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 install that was upgraded to
22.04 before installing myth TV.

So, I thought I would start with 22.04 directly, but couldn't even get that
to pickup any channels... I am wondering if the locale is wrong as it
didn't ask for locale settings when installing 22.04, and starts scanning
from channel 5 whereas the old version started from 20 something...

Rather than research locale updates in Ubuntu 22.04 server and figure out
why it was not picking up any channels, I thought I may as well try and
upgrade the original mythtv OS as at least that one is working with EIT
working on all channels... so upgraded to 20.04 then 22.04... took a while,
but got there in the end, and myth TV version has moved to 32 on that box
(have not added the myth tv ppa's).

But now this box is also no longer updating channel guide data with EIT on
all the channels... sigh...

We do have a pretty weak signal on TV 3 (and related), but fine for TV 1
(and related)...

Note sure what version of MythTV the guide data stopped working on, but it
is not working properly on versions 32 and 33...

To recap, Channel 1, 2, 3, Bravo, 2+1, eden, Bravo +1, Prime, 1 +1 Dueke +1
and 15 all don't seem to be getting EIT updates. I assume it will be the
same as before, just getting what's on now and next, though it still has a
few days' guide data from before upgrading.

Channel 5, eden +1, hgtv, Al Haxerra, Shine, First Light, Hope, Parliament,
33, Southern TV, WairarapaTV, Radio NZ, Ch 200 and a test channel all have
guide data out for a week... I don't think all of those channels actually
work here, but they have guide data...

So, not sure what to look at next. Any tips welcome... Perhaps I need to
sort out the signal strength issues for some of the channels that aren't
always working that well, but as mentioned, it works on the older Myth
versions (the guide data, not all the channels).

Any tips appreciated.

Regards
Colin

Re: EIT guide problem with new MythTV Version [ In reply to ]
I had this problem several months ago and it was/is caused by the
broadcasters who have no interest in supporting MythTV.
Basically the data is just not there for us.

I now use Stephen's method.
Look in the archives where there is a "how to"

Re: EIT guide problem with new MythTV Version [ In reply to ]
Hi Robert,

The weird thing is, if I fire up the old MythTV, then the data does get
populated...

But, if Stephen's method solves the problem, then this might be another
solution and it might not matter either way.

I will have a search in the archives tomorrow sometime and see if I can
find it, thanks :-).

Regards
Colin

Re: EIT guide problem with new MythTV Version [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 21:51:01 +1200, you wrote:

>So, I thought I would start with 22.04 directly, but couldn't even get that
>to pickup any channels... I am wondering if the locale is wrong as it
>didn't ask for locale settings when installing 22.04, and starts scanning
>from channel 5 whereas the old version started from 20 something...

There are options in the channel scanning pages to make it scan all
channels. You do have to set the MythTV locale to New Zealand
somewhere in mythtv-setup to get the right defaults, but you can
override that setting for each scan if you drill down into the

mythtv-setup > Input Connections > select a DVB-T tuner > Scan Type

Set Scan Type to Full Scan, and right arrow to get the country
setting. I think this ability was there for people in Europe close to
country borders where they can receive from more than one country.

If you remember back that far, NZ originally used different
frequencies for the muxes, and after they were changed to the current
frequencies when two new muxes were added, a lot of software out there
still retained the old frequencies. So if you try to do a scan for
say the Auckland frequencies, any given software may still be using
the old frequencies and will likely only find one multiplex. But if
you have the settings on New Zealand, and do a scan of all
frequencies, you will find all the multiplexes, but it will take a lot
longer to do the scan. Fortunately, I do not think MythTV ever had
the local frequency sets - it always scans all frequencies unless you
choose to scan only the current transports.