Mailing List Archive

replacement remote control for MythTv
Hi guys - my trusty old Microsoft MCE remote control is dying. Has worked
very well for the last 7 years or so.

I did see that the Sapphire Theatrix was recommended, however i'm unable to
find any for sale. What do people use these days for controlling MythTV?

Cheers
Re: replacement remote control for MythTv [ In reply to ]
Mark van Dijk wrote:
> Hi guys - my trusty old Microsoft MCE remote control is dying. Has worked
> very well for the last 7 years or so.
>
> I did see that the Sapphire Theatrix was recommended, however i'm unable
> to find any for sale. What do people use these days for controlling MythTV?

I use a logitech wireless keyboard from about 2001. We also use a $20 USB
palmsized keyboard that works fine, and hasn't used a battery charge in 18
months.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: replacement remote control for MythTv [ In reply to ]
This one is what you want

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Windows-XP-Vista-7-linux-MCE-Media-Center-PC-Remote-controller-USB-IR-Receiver-/400858867645?hash=item5d550ce7bd

With this driver:

http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

Re: replacement remote control for MythTv [ In reply to ]
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Mark van Dijk
> <mark.van.dijk.74@gmail.com <mailto:mark.van.dijk.74@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi guys - my trusty old Microsoft MCE remote control is dying. Has
> worked very well for the last 7 years or so.
>
> I did see that the Sapphire Theatrix was recommended, however i'm
> unable to find any for sale. What do people use these days for
> controlling MythTV?

I have been using MythMote, an android app for my phone. I was using
USB keyboards but kept dropping and breaking them.

cheers
Worik

--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804

Re: replacement remote control for MythTv [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 5:42 PM, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Mark van Dijk
> > <mark.van.dijk.74@gmail.com <mailto:mark.van.dijk.74@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi guys - my trusty old Microsoft MCE remote control is dying. Has
> > worked very well for the last 7 years or so.
> >
> > I did see that the Sapphire Theatrix was recommended, however i'm
> > unable to find any for sale. What do people use these days for
> > controlling MythTV?
>
> I have been using MythMote, an android app for my phone. I was using
> USB keyboards but kept dropping and breaking them.

Nah, no feedback. You need to look at the phone to hit a button. I can feel
my way around a remote control.

Re: replacement remote control for MythTv [ In reply to ]
Thanks Nick!! That is exactly what i was after.
Re: replacement remote control for MythTv [ In reply to ]
Buy them all, I have a box of spares for when the originals break or get
lost (none have yet).

They also work OOTB with Kodi by the way.

Re: replacement remote control for MythTv [ In reply to ]
I've bought two.

Thanks!

Re: replacement remote control for MythTv [ In reply to ]
I have now received my remotes and have them up and running.

This is slightly off topic on this list, but I use Kodi as a frontend for
MythTV on an Ubuntu system using systemd. Below are some instructions for
getting the most of this remote under my setup in the hopes that this is
useful to myth users.

1. Download and install driver from http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/
2. Read instructions from http://kodi.wiki/view/Sapphire_Remote
3. Copy the attached keymap file to /etc/sapphire/keymap.kodi
4. Run "sudo /usr/local/bin/sapphire_keymap.sh
/etc/sapphire/keymap.kodi" to install new keymap to driver. The remote
should now be working.
5. To get this keymap installed at boot, copy the attached
sapphire.service file to /etc/systemd/system/ and run the command
"sudo systemctl enable sapphire.service"

A couple of notes:

- I have made some personal choices for the functions of the remote
buttons. The default keyboard shortcuts for kodi are here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls
- Some useful features (especially jumping directly to
Music/Video/LiveTV) are not included in the default keyboard controls. I
installed the keymap editor addon to customise these.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor
- The custom commands are commented in my keymap.kodi file

Hope this is useful to you

Rory

Re: replacement remote control for MythTv [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Rory Grant <rorzer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have now received my remotes and have them up and running.
>
> This is slightly off topic on this list, but I use Kodi as a frontend for
> MythTV on an Ubuntu system using systemd. Below are some instructions for
> getting the most of this remote under my setup in the hopes that this is
> useful to myth users.
>

> 1. Download and install driver from http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/
> 2. Read instructions from http://kodi.wiki/view/Sapphire_Remote
> 3. Copy the attached keymap file to /etc/sapphire/keymap.kodi
> 4. Run "sudo /usr/local/bin/sapphire_keymap.sh
> /etc/sapphire/keymap.kodi" to install new keymap to driver. The remote
> should now be working.
> 5. To get this keymap installed at boot, copy the attached
> sapphire.service file to /etc/systemd/system/ and run the command
> "sudo systemctl enable sapphire.service"
>
> A couple of notes:
>
> - I have made some personal choices for the functions of the remote
> buttons. The default keyboard shortcuts for kodi are here:
> http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls
> - Some useful features (especially jumping directly to
> Music/Video/LiveTV) are not included in the default keyboard controls. I
> installed the keymap editor addon to customise these.
> http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor
> - The custom commands are commented in my keymap.kodi file
>
> Hope this is useful to you

I used the sapphire drivers from rtr.ca when I had mythbuntu/xbmc combined
frontends. Useful as you can dynamically change the keymap, so my script to
load xbmc included the keymap switches. I documented it here
http://kodi.wiki/view/Sapphire_Remote, although that was a wee while back
in the sapphire development.

When I switched to openelec the remote just worked, although I tweaked a
couple of buttons to my liking using this very useful blog post.
http://nucblog.net/2014/01/mapping-the-buttons-on-the-remote-control/