Cheers

--
Robin Gilks

Re: Recommendations to replace dying Zotac ION board [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> My N230 ION-1 Zotac all-in-one micro ITX frontend has just about given up.
> I'd like to keep the case and the two 1G DDR2 800 DRAM modules and just
> get something equivalent or better, preferably fanless like the Zotac.
>
> Any recommendations?

So, to clarify, you are after a mini-itx board that takes DDR2 800 RAM?

Re: Recommendations to replace dying Zotac ION board [ In reply to ]
On 05/09/14 20:45, Robin Gilks wrote:
> My N230 ION-1 Zotac all-in-one micro ITX frontend has just about given up.
> I'd like to keep the case and the two 1G DDR2 800 DRAM modules and just
> get something equivalent or better, preferably fanless like the Zotac.
>
> Any recommendations?

Nothing new takes DDR2 these days. If that's your constraining factor,
then trademe is about it.

Otherwise a new box with DDR3, and put the DDR2 into some other useful
desktop, or flogg it off.

I've been looking for a not-stupid price LGA1156 motherboard for ages,
just can't find one for sane prices.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: Recommendations to replace dying Zotac ION board [ In reply to ]
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:
>> Greetings all
>>
>> My N230 ION-1 Zotac all-in-one micro ITX frontend has just about given
>> up.
>> I'd like to keep the case and the two 1G DDR2 800 DRAM modules and just
>> get something equivalent or better, preferably fanless like the Zotac.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>
> So, to clarify, you are after a mini-itx board that takes DDR2 800 RAM?

I'd be happy with a working m/b the same as this one which has been great
for 4 years or so and the spare now in service is still 'good enough'. I
wouldn't want to go back to a Via Epia sp13000 like I just found in the
junk box!!

As far as re-using parts goes, if DDR3 is what is current for this sort of
low end boxen then so be it - its not as if RAM is expensive!

There is no other cost really as I boot from the network and the SATA DVD
drive will work with anything (not that I even use that these days, all my
content is on the server!).

The only thing I haven't checked is the 12v picoPSU (but I have checked
the power brick).

--
Robin Gilks

Re: Recommendations to replace dying Zotac ION board [ In reply to ]
>> My N230 ION-1 Zotac all-in-one micro ITX frontend has just about
>> given up.
>> I'd like to keep the case and the two 1G DDR2 800 DRAM modules and
>> just get something equivalent or better, preferably fanless like the
Zotac.

I have one of these which I have not used for a number of years. Last time I
plugged it in it worked fine..

No moving parts at all and can do 1080 (Due to the CrystalHD card)

Make an offer..

Re: Recommendations to replace dying Zotac ION board [ In reply to ]
> I'd be happy with a working m/b the same as this one which has been great
> for 4 years or so and the spare now in service is still 'good enough'

And now the spare has died as well - just before 8 last night whilst I was
out it just stopped :( Won't even POST now.

So the hunt is on for new motherboard(s) with whatever RAM is required.

--
Robin Gilks

Re: Recommendations to replace dying Zotac ION board [ In reply to ]

>> I'd be happy with a working m/b the same as this one which has been
>> great
>> for 4 years or so and the spare now in service is still 'good enough'
>
> And now the spare has died as well - just before 8 last night whilst I was
> out it just stopped :( Won't even POST now.
>
> So the hunt is on for new motherboard(s) with whatever RAM is required.

A busy day googling has come up with the following:

ASRock AM1H-ITX motherboard
2x2G DDR3-1600 DIMM (cheaper than a single 4G)
AMD 5350 CPU (which I assume comes with a cooler)

So far it looks like change out of $300 and its all available here in NZ :)

Just got to work out how to install (assuming I've found the correct
driver) the AMD Catalyst graphics driver under the Gentoo chroot that I
nfs mount for my PXE booted frontends.

I get to reuse the case, picoPSU (although the m/b can be run from a 19v
DC laptop brick) and the DVD drive and IR remote.

--
Robin Gilks

Re: Recommendations to replace dying Zotac ION board [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:

>>> I'd be happy with a working m/b the same as this one which has been
>>> great
>>> for 4 years or so and the spare now in service is still 'good enough'
>>
>> And now the spare has died as well - just before 8 last night whilst I was
>> out it just stopped :( Won't even POST now.
>>
>> So the hunt is on for new motherboard(s) with whatever RAM is required.
>>

> A busy day googling has come up with the following:
>
> ASRock AM1H-ITX motherboard
> 2x2G DDR3-1600 DIMM (cheaper than a single 4G)
> AMD 5350 CPU (which I assume comes with a cooler)
>
> So far it looks like change out of $300 and its all available here in NZ :)
>
> Just got to work out how to install (assuming I've found the correct
> driver) the AMD Catalyst graphics driver under the Gentoo chroot that I
> nfs mount for my PXE booted frontends.
>
> I get to reuse the case, picoPSU (although the m/b can be run from a 19v
> DC laptop brick) and the DVD drive and IR remote.

$300 you can get an ASUS Chromebox, or something similar!

Re: Recommendations to replace dying Zotac ION board [ In reply to ]
>> A busy day googling has come up with the following:
>>
>> ASRock AM1H-ITX motherboard
>> 2x2G DDR3-1600 DIMM (cheaper than a single 4G)
>> AMD 5350 CPU (which I assume comes with a cooler)
>>
>> So far it looks like change out of $300 and its all available here in NZ
>> :)
>>
>> Just got to work out how to install (assuming I've found the correct
>> driver) the AMD Catalyst graphics driver under the Gentoo chroot that I
>> nfs mount for my PXE booted frontends.
>>
>> I get to reuse the case, picoPSU (although the m/b can be run from a 19v
>> DC laptop brick) and the DVD drive and IR remote.
>>

> $300 you can get an ASUS Chromebox, or something similar!

I must be having a Sunday today because I can't see the connection between
ChromeOS and mythtv nor can I find out from the Asus web site what CPU/GPU
is inside the box and whether it can boot to anything other than ChromeOS.

MythTV for me is MUCH more than TV - its News, Internet Radio, Picture
gallery, videos as well as being able to skip commercials!

I'm using my $120 quad core 7" tablet at the moment, stuff from the Sky
box is fine as are the SD channels but 1, 2 & 3 have no audio (not too
surprising!)

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks

Re: Recommendations to replace dying Zotac ION board [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 21:13:32 +1200, you wrote:

>>> A busy day googling has come up with the following:
>>>
>>> ASRock AM1H-ITX motherboard
>>> 2x2G DDR3-1600 DIMM (cheaper than a single 4G)
>>> AMD 5350 CPU (which I assume comes with a cooler)
>>>
>>> So far it looks like change out of $300 and its all available here in NZ
>>> :)
>>>
>>> Just got to work out how to install (assuming I've found the correct
>>> driver) the AMD Catalyst graphics driver under the Gentoo chroot that I
>>> nfs mount for my PXE booted frontends.
>>>
>>> I get to reuse the case, picoPSU (although the m/b can be run from a 19v
>>> DC laptop brick) and the DVD drive and IR remote.
>>>

>> $300 you can get an ASUS Chromebox, or something similar!
>
>I must be having a Sunday today because I can't see the connection between
>ChromeOS and mythtv nor can I find out from the Asus web site what CPU/GPU
>is inside the box and whether it can boot to anything other than ChromeOS.
>
>MythTV for me is MUCH more than TV - its News, Internet Radio, Picture
>gallery, videos as well as being able to skip commercials!
>
>I'm using my $120 quad core 7" tablet at the moment, stuff from the Sky
>box is fine as are the SD channels but 1, 2 & 3 have no audio (not too
>surprising!)
>
>Cheers

The audio problem with 1, 2 and 3 is likely because they have both
AC-3 and AAC audio and probably default to AC-3 - you need to find an
option to play the AAC audio track instead, or a way to install an
AC-3 codec.

Re: Recommendations to replace dying Zotac ION board [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:

>>> A busy day googling has come up with the following:
>>>
>>> ASRock AM1H-ITX motherboard
>>> 2x2G DDR3-1600 DIMM (cheaper than a single 4G)
>>> AMD 5350 CPU (which I assume comes with a cooler)
>>>
>>> So far it looks like change out of $300 and its all available here in NZ
>>> :)
>>>
>>> Just got to work out how to install (assuming I've found the correct
>>> driver) the AMD Catalyst graphics driver under the Gentoo chroot that I
>>> nfs mount for my PXE booted frontends.
>>>
>>> I get to reuse the case, picoPSU (although the m/b can be run from a 19v
>>> DC laptop brick) and the DVD drive and IR remote.
>>>

>> $300 you can get an ASUS Chromebox, or something similar!
>
> I must be having a Sunday today because I can't see the connection between
> ChromeOS and mythtv nor can I find out from the Asus web site what CPU/GPU
> is inside the box and whether it can boot to anything other than ChromeOS.

You can replace it with ubuntu. It has a Intel 2955 CPU. I can point
you to some howtos on the xbmc forum if you need to look.

Just saying, there are other options out there in the $300 range, and
that was the first that came to mind.

This is also a good machine,
http://nicegear.co.nz/single-board-computers/mini-computer-x26y/ but
(with enormous respect for Hads who runs a great shop) you could no
doubt get it for less than that direct from aliexpress. I think mine
was about $250 with postage.