Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend?
Anybody used these can they handle decoding HD ok?

Looking at something like this
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=422729

Cheers

--
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin
Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody used these can they handle decoding HD ok?
>
> Looking at something like this
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=422729
>
> Cheers

There are NUCs and NUCs - they are not all the same. There are plenty
of threads on these at forum.xbmc.org.

The 2820 I think may have some problems. I would wait for the 2920.

Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
There are NUCs and NUCs - they are not all the same. There are plenty

> of threads on these at forum.xbmc.org.
>
> The 2820 I think may have some problems. I would wait for the 2920.

Well my HD just failed so its time for an upgrade now ;)

I could almost get away with an rpi but the wife wants to be able to use
spotify

Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 8:29 PM, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are NUCs and NUCs - they are not all the same. There are plenty
>>
>> of threads on these at forum.xbmc.org.
>>
>> The 2820 I think may have some problems. I would wait for the 2920.
>

> Well my HD just failed so its time for an upgrade now ;)

I won't tell her that this problem only requires the replacement of
the hard drive, not another new computer!

Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
On 26 May 2014 16:28, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody used these can they handle decoding HD ok?
>
> Looking at something like this
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=422729

You could try one of the new AMD Brazos E350

I was seriously impressed with the latest range of AMD opensource
driver and their VDPAU support.

Can't tell the difference quality wise with nvidia

It does struggle with multi-screen setup, but for a plain frontend,
should be all fine

Something like this:
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=413990

Never thought I would see the day I recommend an AMD system...

Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
On 27/05/14 02:55, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Something like this:
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=413990
> Never thought I would see the day I recommend an AMD system...
Never ever. Its like buying a $100 LCD monitor then being stuck with
the faults like poor colour or something. Having to look at it every
day for the life of the item... not for me

I bought a cyrix 486 knockoff back in the day, and it didn't run the
killer game of the day (doom)

Whereas I can count on one finger the number of intel CPUs that failed
on me (trying to pop the heatsink off an intel overdrive 486, broke the
CPU into three pieces, which prompted the aforementioned delve to the
dark side)

Use what works for you, and use it well.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
@ Nick

What would you percieve the issues with board to be?

Would this be OK for an SD only frontend of a DVB-S system?

Curiosity killed the cat!
Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Noel & Diane <noel@igrin.co.nz> wrote:
> @ Nick
>
> What would you percieve the issues with board to be?
>
> Would this be OK for an SD only frontend of a DVB-S system?
>
> Curiosity killed the cat!

Buggered if I can find the exact posts, but possibly somewhere in this thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187433&page=93

But there have been many issues with NUCs in general, faulty bioses,
power on|off|suspend issues, rebooting instead of switching off, IR
not working without a hack, the list goes on. Read the NUC threads on
forum.xbmc.org.

Having said that it would probably make an adequate frontend if you
are prepared for the fact that everything may not work out of the box.

But I would probably go for one of these at $200.00US delivered, which
is about $250.00NZ (at 0.80)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-best-fanless-pc-computer-systems-with-29MM-extreme-ultra-thin-chassis-4G-RAM-16G-SSD/1350315197.html

I have a similar one with 2G ram and 8G SSD and it runs openelec just fine.

Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
On 27/05/14 09:45, Nick Rout wrote:
> But there have been many issues with NUCs in general, faulty bioses,
> power on|off|suspend issues, rebooting instead of switching off, IR
> not working without a hack, the list goes on. Read the NUC threads on
> forum.xbmc.org.

As a data point, I use one of the original black NUCs as an XBMC
frontend and haven't had any issues at all.

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz

Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Hadley Rich <hads@nice.net.nz> wrote:
> On 27/05/14 09:45, Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> But there have been many issues with NUCs in general, faulty bioses,
>> power on|off|suspend issues, rebooting instead of switching off, IR
>> not working without a hack, the list goes on. Read the NUC threads on
>> forum.xbmc.org.
>

> As a data point, I use one of the original black NUCs as an XBMC frontend
> and haven't had any issues at all.

I will say that there are a lot of confusing stories about NUC out
there. It's a combination of multiple operating systems, multiple
versions of NUC (with greatly varying Intel chipsets), multiple BIOS
versions and differing expectations.

In terms of that last point, of course someone who expects perfect
movie playback at 23.976Hz has different needs than someone who cannot
see the difference.

Overall my view is that the NUC is overhyped, and in NZ is overpriced
(as is much of our tech gear).

Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 26 May 2014 19:51:34 Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anybody used these can they handle decoding HD ok?
> >
> > Looking at something like this
> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=422729
> >
> > Cheers
>
> There are NUCs and NUCs - they are not all the same. There are plenty
> of threads on these at forum.xbmc.org.
>
> The 2820 I think may have some problems. I would wait for the 2920.

I got a BOXDN2820FYK (Intel Celeron N2820 NUC) a few of weeks ago (sourced locally).

As a XBMC frontend, it's brilliant.
After a BIOS upgradem I installed Openelec v4 on it, everything worked out of the box.
Video, sound and remote worked without any need for configuration. (I already had an MCE remote)

No problem playing any content including Mythtv recordings.

> > --
> > "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
> > pointless. " - Calvin

Jean-Francois Pirus | Technical Manager
francois@clearfield.com | Mob +64 21 640 779 | DDI +64 9 282 3401

Clearfield Software Ltd | Ph +64 9 358 2081 | www.clearfield.com

Re: Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM, criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> On 27/05/14 02:55, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> Something like this:
>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=413990
>> Never thought I would see the day I recommend an AMD system...
>>
> Never ever. Its like buying a $100 LCD monitor then being stuck with the
> faults like poor colour or something. Having to look at it every day for
> the life of the item... not for me
>
> I bought a cyrix 486 knockoff back in the day, and it didn't run the
> killer game of the day (doom)

I used Athlons for a number of years - they were much better bang for buck
when CPU clcoks were around the 1Ghz mark. In fact I've still got one in my
Myth box (which must be about 5 years old now). Never had a problem with
any of them.

I'm back on Intel chips now though.

Cheers,
Steve