Mailing List Archive

Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv
Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for years, and you've helped with the odd
question before. Thank you.

I've finally, after 6 or 7 years of good intentions, bitten the bullet
and migrated from GBPVR to myth. I can not begin to tell you what a
pleasure it is to have crossed this off my todo list. I'm a fairly
experienced *nix user, no guru, but I get around no problems. Installing
myth is no walk in the park. Anyway, after a solid day of installation
and troubleshooting it works a treat. Another day experimenting and
setting up preferences and recordings and I've completed the transition.
Awesome.

Anyway, that's the background. Now, as you are aware, googling for myth
info relies heavily on good google-fu. I thought I was blessed with
this, but not on this topic it seems. Maybe my TV lexicon is misaligned
with myth. That should resolve with experience, but in the meantime I
have a few niggling questions. I will post each in its own thread for
later searchability.

/background

I have 2 hauppauge hvr 4000 dvb-s/s2/t cards in my backend (wtf?) I have
only set up two devices; 2 x dvb-s. I have had trouble setting up the
channels. I noticed that one of the discovered Prime channels seemed not
to tune, and caused the frontend (on the server) to hang (error: could
not read first 2048 megabytes) This required killing mythfrontend.real.
Subsequent attempts to watch live TV caused the same issue, presumably
as it attempts to start from the last channel watched. I'm guessing
here. The backend doesn't seem to complain. Maybe I should adjust some
timeout somewhere?

If anyone could shed some light on this, or has a relevant
troubleshooting link handy, I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Aaron.

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
There's is a starting channel under the source in myth setup.. if that
channel does not work then live tv will fail

On 16 May 2014 10:36, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've been lurking here for years, and you've helped with the odd question
> before. Thank you.
>
> I've finally, after 6 or 7 years of good intentions, bitten the bullet and
> migrated from GBPVR to myth. I can not begin to tell you what a pleasure it
> is to have crossed this off my todo list. I'm a fairly experienced *nix
> user, no guru, but I get around no problems. Installing myth is no walk in
> the park. Anyway, after a solid day of installation and troubleshooting it
> works a treat. Another day experimenting and setting up preferences and
> recordings and I've completed the transition. Awesome.
>
> Anyway, that's the background. Now, as you are aware, googling for myth
> info relies heavily on good google-fu. I thought I was blessed with this,
> but not on this topic it seems. Maybe my TV lexicon is misaligned with
> myth. That should resolve with experience, but in the meantime I have a few
> niggling questions. I will post each in its own thread for later
> searchability.
>
> /background
>
> I have 2 hauppauge hvr 4000 dvb-s/s2/t cards in my backend (wtf?) I have
> only set up two devices; 2 x dvb-s. I have had trouble setting up the
> channels. I noticed that one of the discovered Prime channels seemed not to
> tune, and caused the frontend (on the server) to hang (error: could not
> read first 2048 megabytes) This required killing mythfrontend.real.
> Subsequent attempts to watch live TV caused the same issue, presumably as
> it attempts to start from the last channel watched. I'm guessing here. The
> backend doesn't seem to complain. Maybe I should adjust some timeout
> somewhere?
>
> If anyone could shed some light on this, or has a relevant troubleshooting
> link handy, I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron.

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin
Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/14 10:44, Jason Taylor wrote:
> There's is a starting channel under the source in myth setup.. if that
> channel does not work then live tv will fail

Yes. I have seen this, and adjusted it on the backend. Is it possible
that due to not restarting the frontend (on another pc) I have requested
an obsolete channel?

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On 16 May 2014 08:53, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
> Yes. I have seen this, and adjusted it on the backend. Is it possible that
> due to not restarting the frontend (on another pc) I have requested an
> obsolete channel?

What version of myth are you using?

even if liveTV can't tune on the last channel and appears to be hung,
you can still request another channel by simply typing the channel
number and validating with ENTER (or whatever you set your remote to).

But you need to make sure you are running a very recent mythtv 0.27.

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On 16 May 2014 14:54, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:

> What version of myth are you using?
>
> even if liveTV can't tune on the last channel and appears to be hung,
> you can still request another channel by simply typing the channel
> number and validating with ENTER (or whatever you set your remote to).
>
> But you need to make sure you are running a very recent mythtv 0.27.

should add that another way is to start the TV Guide and select a
different channel there

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/14 16:54, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> On 16 May 2014 08:53, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
>> Yes. I have seen this, and adjusted it on the backend. Is it possible that
>> due to not restarting the frontend (on another pc) I have requested an
>> obsolete channel?
> What version of myth are you using?

ppa:mythbuntu/0.27
I don't have a specific build number on hand, but it's within the last week at the oldest

> even if liveTV can't tune on the last channel and appears to be hung,
> you can still request another channel by simply typing the channel
> number and validating with ENTER (or whatever you set your remote to).

I will try this. I didn't bother because myth appeared totally unresponsive, and until yesterday I didn't know what channel numbers I was using. :)

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 17 May 2014 10:35:47 +1200, you wrote:

>On 16/05/14 16:54, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> On 16 May 2014 08:53, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
>>> Yes. I have seen this, and adjusted it on the backend. Is it possible that
>>> due to not restarting the frontend (on another pc) I have requested an
>>> obsolete channel?
>> What version of myth are you using?
>
>ppa:mythbuntu/0.27
>I don't have a specific build number on hand, but it's within the last week at the oldest
>
>> even if liveTV can't tune on the last channel and appears to be hung,
>> you can still request another channel by simply typing the channel
>> number and validating with ENTER (or whatever you set your remote to).
>
>I will try this. I didn't bother because myth appeared totally unresponsive, and until yesterday I didn't know what channel numbers I was using. :)

There are a pack of LiveTV fixes just being backported from master to
0.27 at the moment, so it is probably better to just ignore LiveTV
problems until the fixes have been fully tested and arrive in 0.27.
Which seems likely to happen in the next week or two.

So what I would do would be to manually adjust the channel LiveTV
starts on. This SQL command will show how things are at the moment:

select cardinputid,cardid,sourceid,tunechan,startchan,livetvorder
from cardinput order by cardinputid;

The livetvorder field tells you which tuner will be used when you go
into LiveTV (unless it is already recording). The lowest number there
is the first tuner used. The startchan field tells you what channel
number will be tuned to. So something like this command should fix
your problem:

update cardinput set startchan=1 where livetvorder=1;

That presumes that your livetvorder field has been numbered starting
from 1 and that TV One is on channum=1.

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/14 10:36, Aaron Pelly wrote:
> I have 2 hauppauge hvr 4000 dvb-s/s2/t cards in my backend (wtf?) I have
> only set up two devices; 2 x dvb-s. I have had trouble setting up the
> channels. I noticed that one of the discovered Prime channels seemed not
> to tune, and caused the frontend (on the server) to hang (error: could
> not read first 2048 megabytes) This required killing mythfrontend.real.
> Subsequent attempts to watch live TV caused the same issue, presumably
> as it attempts to start from the last channel watched. I'm guessing
> here. The backend doesn't seem to complain. Maybe I should adjust some
> timeout somewhere?
>
> If anyone could shed some light on this, or has a relevant
> troubleshooting link handy, I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron.

Very wrong assumptions on my part.

(and the error was actually 2048 bytes, not megabytes)

Found this:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/530123?do=post_view_threaded#530123

> Found the problem. On my standalone frontend i had mapped a NFS share
> to my backend with the same path as the backend uses for recordings.
> So i guess the frontend tried to open the file "locally" instead of
> communicating with the backend.
>
> Just have to change the sharename on the frontend.

Although in my case it was a samba share. Dismounting it stops the problem.

This seems like a bug to me. If others agree I will report it.

Aaron.

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
> On 16/05/14 10:36, Aaron Pelly wrote:
>>
>> I have 2 hauppauge hvr 4000 dvb-s/s2/t cards in my backend (wtf?) I have
>> only set up two devices; 2 x dvb-s. I have had trouble setting up the
>> channels. I noticed that one of the discovered Prime channels seemed not
>> to tune, and caused the frontend (on the server) to hang (error: could
>> not read first 2048 megabytes) This required killing mythfrontend.real.
>> Subsequent attempts to watch live TV caused the same issue, presumably
>> as it attempts to start from the last channel watched. I'm guessing
>> here. The backend doesn't seem to complain. Maybe I should adjust some
>> timeout somewhere?
>>
>> If anyone could shed some light on this, or has a relevant
>> troubleshooting link handy, I would be grateful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aaron.
>>

> Very wrong assumptions on my part.
>
> (and the error was actually 2048 bytes, not megabytes)
>
> Found this:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/530123?do=post_view_threaded#530123
>
>> Found the problem. On my standalone frontend i had mapped a NFS share > to
>> my backend with the same path as the backend uses for recordings. > So i
>> guess the frontend tried to open the file "locally" instead of
>> communicating with the backend.
>>
>> Just have to change the sharename on the frontend.
>
> Although in my case it was a samba share. Dismounting it stops the problem.

Why are you mounting anything on your backend? It is not needed.

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On 20/05/14 07:25, Nick Rout wrote:
> Found this:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/530123?do=post_view_threaded#530123
>
>>> Found the problem. On my standalone frontend i had mapped a NFS share > to
>>> my backend with the same path as the backend uses for recordings. > So i
>>> guess the frontend tried to open the file "locally" instead of
>>> communicating with the backend.
>>>
>>> Just have to change the sharename on the frontend.
>> Although in my case it was a samba share. Dismounting it stops the problem.
> Why are you mounting anything on your backend? It is not needed.
Not for myth, no. I just happen to have myth data on a drive (that
happens to be on the backend) that I mount in the same spot on all
network machines. That has been resolved to my satisfaction now, but it
still seems like a bug.

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On 20 May 2014 09:23, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:

> Not for myth, no. I just happen to have myth data on a drive (that happens
> to be on the backend) that I mount in the same spot on all network machines.
> That has been resolved to my satisfaction now, but it still seems like a
> bug.

by default, myth will first check if a file is local before attempting
to stream it from the backend.

This is done by simply checking if the file exists at the path.

If you have mounted your data drive on the frontend, so that the
directory structure is that same as on the backend, myth will open the
file locally rather than mount it.

You can change the behaviour by starting the frontend with -O
AlwaysStreamFiles=1

with recent mythtv 0.27, and even more so with the
devel/027candidates, usually streaming from the backend will often
provide better playback experience.

Personally, I would make the AlwaysStreamFiles the default, because
that reduces the different various user scenarii. It's becoming a
nightmare to test mythtv, there are so many usage pattern, very hard
to ensure they all work.

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 07:29:52PM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> that reduces the different various user scenarii. It's becoming a

I assume you meant 'scenarios' :)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On 21/05/14 21:29, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> by default, myth will first check if a file is local before attempting
> to stream it from the backend.
>
> This is done by simply checking if the file exists at the path.
>
> If you have mounted your data drive on the frontend, so that the
> directory structure is that same as on the backend, myth will open the
> file locally rather than mount it.
>
> You can change the behaviour by starting the frontend with -O
> AlwaysStreamFiles=1
>
> with recent mythtv 0.27, and even more so with the
> devel/027candidates, usually streaming from the backend will often
> provide better playback experience.
>
> Personally, I would make the AlwaysStreamFiles the default, because
> that reduces the different various user scenarii. It's becoming a
> nightmare to test mythtv, there are so many usage pattern, very hard
> to ensure they all work.
That is an obscure setting! Google tells me the option to change it in
the GUI was removed around .24, and there is no longer a key in the
settings table.

Thanks for the heads-up Jean-Yves

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
Le mercredi 21 mai 2014, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> a
écrit :

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 07:29:52PM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> > that reduces the different various user scenarii. It's becoming a
>
> I assume you meant 'scenarios' :)

No...

The proper spelling of scenario in plural is scenarii being a Latin word...
And no, how Americans decided to spell it is irrelevant :)
Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>wrote:

> Le mercredi 21 mai 2014, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> a
> écrit :
>
> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 07:29:52PM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> > that reduces the different various user scenarii. It's becoming a
>>
>> I assume you meant 'scenarios' :)
>

> No...
>
> The proper spelling of scenario in plural is scenarii being a Latin word...
> And no, how Americans decided to spell it is irrelevant :)

Scenario is a Latin word, an Italian word having scenari as the plural, and
an English word having scenarios as the plural. Loanwords do not
automatically bring their pural forms when adopted into a new language.

Also, the most correct pural of octopus is octopuses, followed by
octopodes. And the correct plural of virus is viruses, not viri (and
certainly not virii which is just a word invented by people who don't
understand Latin plurals).

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:15 AM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Le mercredi 21 mai 2014, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> a
>> écrit :

>>> I assume you meant 'scenarios' :)
>>

>> No...
>>
>> The proper spelling of scenario in plural is scenarii being a Latin
>> word...
>> And no, how Americans decided to spell it is irrelevant :)
>

> Scenario is a Latin word, an Italian word having scenari as the plural, and
> an English word having scenarios as the plural. Loanwords do not
> automatically bring their pural forms when adopted into a new language.
>
> Also, the most correct pural of octopus is octopuses, followed by octopodes.
> And the correct plural of virus is viruses, not viri (and certainly not
> virii which is just a word invented by people who don't understand Latin
> plurals).

I often 'discuss' with my wife whether the plural of memorandum is
memoranda or memorandums. Chambers says both are correct, as is your
post.

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On 21 May 2014 22:15, Steve Hodge <stevehodge@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, the most correct pural of octopus is octopuses, followed by octopodes.
> And the correct plural of virus is viruses, not viri (and certainly not
> virii which is just a word invented by people who don't understand Latin
> plurals).

Seems I live in the old-age
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scenarii

Though it is still the official plural form of scenario in French
(http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/scenarii)
Yes, modern Italians do spell it with a single i today, that has not
always been the case. Questo delicato istrione non comprendeva la
comedia dell’amore senza gli scenarii.

can't believe this would get so off-topic.

Re: Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 21 May 2014 22:15, Steve Hodge <stevehodge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, the most correct pural of octopus is octopuses, followed by
> octopodes.
> > And the correct plural of virus is viruses, not viri (and certainly not
> > virii which is just a word invented by people who don't understand Latin
> > plurals).
>
> Seems I live in the old-age
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scenarii

Yeah, I saw that. OTOH, the OED does not recognise it.

> Though it is still the official plural form of scenario in French
> (http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/scenarii)
> Yes, modern Italians do spell it with a single i today, that has not
> always been the case. Questo delicato istrione non comprendeva la
> comedia dell'amore senza gli scenarii.
>
> can't believe this would get so off-topic.

It such a low volume mailing list we can afford these occasional diversions
;)

Cheers,
Steve