Mailing List Archive

Freeview DTT restack on 1 May
On 1st May there are some changes to the Freeview DTT line up as the clear
out the top end of the spectrum for re-use.

- ​http://freeviewforum.co.nz/restack2014
- ​http://freeviewforum.co.nz/restack2014tech

Key changes in Auckland
- Mux 3 Kordia - 666 MHz -> 602 Mhz
- Ch 16 Al Jazerra - Mediaworks -> WTV
- Ch 20 TVSN - Kordia -> WTV
- Ch 21 Yes Shop - Kordia -> WTV
- Ch 24 Te Reo - Mediaworks -> Kordia

There will likely be some SID changes associated with the switch over.
Also Trackside is now off air on DTT.

Steve

Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> Also Trackside is now off air on DTT.

Gee what a loss!

Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:36:54 +1200 (NZST), you wrote:

>On 1st May there are some changes to the Freeview DTT line up as the clear
>out the top end of the spectrum for re-use.
>
> - &#8203;http://freeviewforum.co.nz/restack2014
> - &#8203;http://freeviewforum.co.nz/restack2014tech
>
>Key changes in Auckland
> - Mux 3 Kordia - 666 MHz -> 602 Mhz
> - Ch 16 Al Jazerra - Mediaworks -> WTV
> - Ch 20 TVSN - Kordia -> WTV
> - Ch 21 Yes Shop - Kordia -> WTV
> - Ch 24 Te Reo - Mediaworks -> Kordia
>
>There will likely be some SID changes associated with the switch over.
>Also Trackside is now off air on DTT.
>
>Steve

Ouch! It seems they are adding a fourth mux (WTV), so we will all
need a fourth DVB-T tuner to be sure of never getting any clashes.
Here in Palmerston North (Wharite transmitter), I found a new mux on
530000 kHz, which would seem to be the WTV mux. It currently has one
new channel "Apna Television", but if I am reading the information on
this page:

http://freeviewforum.co.nz/restack2014tec

correctly, from 1-May-2014 Al Jazeera, TVSN and Yes Shop will be
moving to WTV also and Te Reo will be moving to Kordia.

I do wish they said what time of day the changes will happen - I
presume some time after midnight, but it would be helpful to know if I
need to wait up to do a rescan, or get up early in the morning.

Apna Television is a 24 hour Hindi station:

http://www.apnatelevision.co.nz

I wonder if all this rearrangement is preparatory to moving to more HD
channels? I hope Prime might go HD. And I wonder if they are
thinking of DVB-T2 now, since other parts of the world are moving to
that.

Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On 23 April 2014 15:34, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
>>

>> Also Trackside is now off air on DTT.
>
> Gee what a loss!

Don't you mean "gee gee what a loss" ?

(sorry couldn't resist. Just horsing around)

Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 April 2014 15:34, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
>>>

>>> Also Trackside is now off air on DTT.
>>
>> Gee what a loss!

> Don't you mean "gee gee what a loss" ?
>
> (sorry couldn't resist. Just horsing around)

*groan* very good.

Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
Instead of simply taking the p*** out of trackside, I should have said
thanks to Steve for the heads up, so here you are: thanks!

Fathers don't let families tune in to shopping channels anyway, and I
don't speak Te Reo, so the only real effect for me will be Al Jazerra,
which I watch occasionally. But as you say, there might be SID changes
etc. I foresee a complete retune.

1 May, a Thursday. Time to get the whole shebang sorted before Friday
night's heavy session of Graham Norton/7 Days/Jono & Ben, or I'll get
shot.

No probably something slower and more painful than shooting!

Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> Ouch! It seems they are adding a fourth mux (WTV), so we will all
> need a fourth DVB-T tuner to be sure of never getting any clashes.

In my case I'd have to add a second, third, and fourth tuner. If I was in
any way concerned about clashes.

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:39:04PM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> Instead of simply taking the p*** out of trackside, I should have said
> thanks to Steve for the heads up, so here you are: thanks!

I thought your concerns were genuine¹. There is now a lot of crap on
freeview! :(

¹Just goes to show that sarcasm doesn't travel via email/ML

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On 24/04/14 01:04, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Stephen Worthington
> <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz <mailto:stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:
>
> Ouch! It seems they are adding a fourth mux (WTV), so we will all
> need a fourth DVB-T tuner to be sure of never getting any clashes.
>

> In my case I'd have to add a second, third, and fourth tuner. If I was
> in any way concerned about clashes.

I run mythTV but haven't watched TV in years. The backend is full of
kid's TV.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/
Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM, criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> On 24/04/14 01:04, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> Ouch! It seems they are adding a fourth mux (WTV), so we will all
>> need a fourth DVB-T tuner to be sure of never getting any clashes.
>>

> In my case I'd have to add a second, third, and fourth tuner. If I was
> in any way concerned about clashes.
>

> I run mythTV but haven't watched TV in years. The backend is full of
> kid's TV.

According to Mythweb we've got 29.5 days of unwatched TV ready to go so
it's hardly the end of the world if I miss something ;)

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
Steve Hodge wrote, On 24/04/14 13:18:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM, criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz
> <mailto:criggie@criggie.org.nz>> wrote:
>
> I run mythTV but haven't watched TV in years. The backend is full
> of kid's TV.
>

> According to Mythweb we've got 29.5 days of unwatched TV ready to go
> so it's hardly the end of the world if I miss something ;)

Interesting statistic - I have about an hour of unwatched TV, but
there's no indication of which frontend has watched what.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/
Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> Steve Hodge wrote, On 24/04/14 13:18:
>
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM, criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:
>
>> I run mythTV but haven't watched TV in years. The backend is full of
>> kid's TV.
>>

> According to Mythweb we've got 29.5 days of unwatched TV ready to go so
> it's hardly the end of the world if I miss something ;)
>

> Interesting statistic - I have about an hour of unwatched TV, but there's
> no indication of which frontend has watched what.

I was just working off the total stored as we delete almost everything we
watch.

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:36:54 +1200 (NZST), you wrote:

>On 1st May there are some changes to the Freeview DTT line up as the clear
>out the top end of the spectrum for re-use.
>
> - &#8203;http://freeviewforum.co.nz/restack2014
> - &#8203;http://freeviewforum.co.nz/restack2014tech
>
>Key changes in Auckland
> - Mux 3 Kordia - 666 MHz -> 602 Mhz
> - Ch 16 Al Jazerra - Mediaworks -> WTV
> - Ch 20 TVSN - Kordia -> WTV
> - Ch 21 Yes Shop - Kordia -> WTV
> - Ch 24 Te Reo - Mediaworks -> Kordia
>
>There will likely be some SID changes associated with the switch over.
>Also Trackside is now off air on DTT.
>
>Steve

I have written myself a script to do the restack changes, and I have
extended it to cover all the locations in the table here:

http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/pdf-library/resource-library/publications/table-of-digital-television-channel-useage-57-kb-pdf

If you would like to try using it, you can download it from here:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/restack-1-May-2014.sh

It is written for my setup (Mythbuntu 12.04, MythTV 0.27) but should
work for other Ubuntu/Debian based systems and older MythTV versions.
And it should be safe to try on any Linux version as it is only
read-only unless you give it the "modify" parameter.

Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 21:48:49 +1200, you wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:36:54 +1200 (NZST), you wrote:
>

>>On 1st May there are some changes to the Freeview DTT line up as the clear
>>out the top end of the spectrum for re-use.
>>
>> - &#8203;http://freeviewforum.co.nz/restack2014
>> - &#8203;http://freeviewforum.co.nz/restack2014tech
>>
>>Key changes in Auckland
>> - Mux 3 Kordia - 666 MHz -> 602 Mhz
>> - Ch 16 Al Jazerra - Mediaworks -> WTV
>> - Ch 20 TVSN - Kordia -> WTV
>> - Ch 21 Yes Shop - Kordia -> WTV
>> - Ch 24 Te Reo - Mediaworks -> Kordia
>>
>>There will likely be some SID changes associated with the switch over.
>>Also Trackside is now off air on DTT.
>>
>>Steve
>
>I have written myself a script to do the restack changes, and I have
>extended it to cover all the locations in the table here:
>

>http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/pdf-library/resource-library/publications/table-of-digital-television-channel-useage-57-kb-pdf
>
>If you would like to try using it, you can download it from here:
>
> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/restack-1-May-2014.sh
>
>It is written for my setup (Mythbuntu 12.04, MythTV 0.27) but should
>work for other Ubuntu/Debian based systems and older MythTV versions.
>And it should be safe to try on any Linux version as it is only
>read-only unless you give it the "modify" parameter.
>
>Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

I was hoping that there would not be any changes to the serviceid
values, but now that the restack is happened, I can see that they did
change the serviceids. So I have put a new version of the script on
my web server (v1.0). This has worked for me on my box and my
mother's. There were some bugs in the "modify" section which have
been fixed. So it should now work for everyone in a location with a
Kordia mux.

However, I am not sure if the serviceid values will be the same for
the locations which have a JDA mux instead of a Kordia mux. Is there
anyone out there who is receiving from a JDA mux that can let me know
what the new serviceid values are for you? I have put a copy of the
script I use for scanning the muxes here:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/FreeviewHD-scan.sh

To use it you will need to change the frequencies to those for your
transmitters, adjust the ADAPTER number, and possibly change "scan-s2"
to "scan" if you do not have a copy of scan-s2, which I got from the
TBS drivers here:

http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document/common/tbs-linux-drivers_v140425.zip

Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, April 24, 2014 1:18 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM, criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:
>

>> On 24/04/14 01:04, Steve Hodge wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Stephen Worthington <
>> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> Ouch! It seems they are adding a fourth mux (WTV), so we will all
>>> need a fourth DVB-T tuner to be sure of never getting any clashes.
>>>

>> In my case I'd have to add a second, third, and fourth tuner. If I was
>> in any way concerned about clashes.
>>

>> I run mythTV but haven't watched TV in years. The backend is full of
>> kid's TV.
>>

> According to Mythweb we've got 29.5 days of unwatched TV ready to go so
> it's hardly the end of the world if I miss something ;)

Total Running Time:
8 years 2 months 25 days 11 hrs 9 mins
Total Recorded:
1 year 1 month 25 days 16 hrs 14 mins

Most recorded program - Hi-5 1258 episodes (yeah i've got kids)

1616 programs, using 2.2 TB (2 months 9 days 10 hrs 16 mins) out of 7 TB
(1.7 TB free).

How do I find out the amount of unwatched shows?

Re: Freeview DTT restack on 1 May [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz>wrote:

> Total Running Time:
> 8 years 2 months 25 days 11 hrs 9 mins

9 years 2 months 12 days 28 mins

> Total Recorded:
> 1 year 1 month 25 days 16 hrs 14 mins

1 year 5 months 25 days 5 hrs 54 moins

Most recorded program - Hi-5 1258 episodes (yeah i've got kids)

Mythbuster 2016 (too many repeats)

> 1616 programs, using 2.2 TB (2 months 9 days 10 hrs 16 mins) out of 7 TB
> (1.7 TB free).
>
> How do I find out the amount of unwatched shows?

I was just basing it on that used space stat and the fact that we don't
have more than a couple of hours of watched tv stored (and I made sure all
the expired/deleted stuff was really deleted).

Cheers,
Steve