not sure if that's a good or bad thing.Any advice appreciated. Happy to
share more details on my setup if that makes a difference.
Dave

Re: Upgrade advice 0.26 or 0.27 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 20:15:56 +1300, you wrote:

>I'm planning an upgrade over Easter and want a bit of advice on which
>version to upgrade to. I'm a Debian user, current on Squeeze running
>myth v0.24.2 from the Debian Multimedia repository. I can upgrade to
>either the stable latest Debian stable version which has kernel 3.2.51
>and myth v0.26+fixes or to the "testing" version which has kernel 3.13.7
>and mythtv v0.27+fixes. v0.27 seems to be getting a lot of fixes and I'm
>not sure if that's a good or bad thing.Any advice appreciated. Happy to
>share more details on my setup if that makes a difference.
>Dave

You really should be on 0.27 - it is the supported version and is
pretty good. 0.26 is end of life now.

Do not forget to read the release notes for all the versions from 0.25
through to 0.27 - there are some things you need to do (such as
timezone setup for 0.26) for later versions to work.

Re: Upgrade advice 0.26 or 0.27 [ In reply to ]
On Apr 4, 2014 8:17 PM, "David Shepherd" <david@daveshep.net.nz> wrote:

> I'm planning an upgrade over Easter and want a bit of advice on which
version to upgrade to. I'm a Debian user, current on Squeeze running myth
v0.24.2 from the Debian Multimedia repository. I can upgrade to either the
stable latest Debian stable version which has kernel 3.2.51 and myth
v0.26+fixes or to the "testing" version which has kernel 3.13.7 and mythtv
v0.27+fixes. v0.27 seems to be getting a lot of fixes and I'm not sure if
that's a good or bad thing.Any advice appreciated. Happy to share more
details on my setup if that makes a difference.
> Dave

My advice, mythbuntu 14.04.
Re: Upgrade advice 0.26 or 0.27 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, April 5, 2014 11:23 am, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2014 8:17 PM, "David Shepherd" <david@daveshep.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>> I'm planning an upgrade over Easter and want a bit of advice on which
> version to upgrade to. I'm a Debian user, current on Squeeze running myth
> v0.24.2 from the Debian Multimedia repository. I can upgrade to either
> the
> stable latest Debian stable version which has kernel 3.2.51 and myth
> v0.26+fixes or to the "testing" version which has kernel 3.13.7 and mythtv
> v0.27+fixes. v0.27 seems to be getting a lot of fixes and I'm not sure if
> that's a good or bad thing.Any advice appreciated. Happy to share more
> details on my setup if that makes a difference.
>> Dave
>>

> My advice, mythbuntu 14.04.

How stable is the Ubuntu / Myth combination these days. My 12.04 + MythTV
0.26 is horrible and constantly crashing the UI.

Bit distracted for some reason at the moment with other stuff to sort and
test an upgrade.

Re: Upgrade advice 0.26 or 0.27 [ In reply to ]
On 19/04/14 14:46, Steven Ellis wrote:
> How stable is the Ubuntu / Myth combination these days. My 12.04 + MythTV
> 0.26 is horrible and constantly crashing the UI.

12.04 with 0.26 backend has been very stable for me, no longer use the
myth frontend, everything is XBMC.

hads

--
http://nice.net.nz

Re: Upgrade advice 0.26 or 0.27 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, April 19, 2014 5:03 pm, Hadley Rich wrote:
> On 19/04/14 14:46, Steven Ellis wrote:
>> How stable is the Ubuntu / Myth combination these days. My 12.04 +
>> MythTV
>> 0.26 is horrible and constantly crashing the UI.
>
> 12.04 with 0.26 backend has been very stable for me, no longer use the
> myth frontend, everything is XBMC.
>
> hads

Backend is fine, issues all appear to be frontend centric.

For example the thumbnail generation for Recorded TV keeps reporting that
Mythtv-backend has crashed when it hasn't. Very odd.

Re: Upgrade advice 0.26 or 0.27 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, April 5, 2014 11:23 am, Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Apr 4, 2014 8:17 PM, "David Shepherd" <david@daveshep.net.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm planning an upgrade over Easter and want a bit of advice on which
>> version to upgrade to. I'm a Debian user, current on Squeeze running myth
>> v0.24.2 from the Debian Multimedia repository. I can upgrade to either
>> the
>> stable latest Debian stable version which has kernel 3.2.51 and myth
>> v0.26+fixes or to the "testing" version which has kernel 3.13.7 and mythtv
>> v0.27+fixes. v0.27 seems to be getting a lot of fixes and I'm not sure if
>> that's a good or bad thing.Any advice appreciated. Happy to share more
>> details on my setup if that makes a difference.
>>> Dave
>>>

>> My advice, mythbuntu 14.04.
>
> How stable is the Ubuntu / Myth combination these days. My 12.04 + MythTV
> 0.26 is horrible and constantly crashing the UI.
>
> Bit distracted for some reason at the moment with other stuff to sort and
> test an upgrade.

0.26 will not be getting any fixes, go for 0.27 via mythbuntu repos.
Backend is stable here, like Hads, I am using XBMC as frontend a lot
now, but mythfrontend 0.27 seems to be fine too.

Re: Upgrade advice 0.26 or 0.27 [ In reply to ]
On 19/04/14 17:03, Hadley Rich wrote:
> On 19/04/14 14:46, Steven Ellis wrote:
>> How stable is the Ubuntu / Myth combination these days. My 12.04 + MythTV
>> 0.26 is horrible and constantly crashing the UI.
>
> 12.04 with 0.26 backend has been very stable for me, no longer use the
> myth frontend, everything is XBMC.

Hads
Would you mind taking some time and sharing the pros and cons for using
XBMC over myth frontend or why you are using XMBC please?

Thanks
Steve
Rotorua

Re: Upgrade advice 0.26 or 0.27 [ In reply to ]
On Apr 20, 2014 12:02 PM, "Steve Nicholson" <steve@kiwibum.com> wrote:

> On 19/04/14 17:03, Hadley Rich wrote:
>>
>> On 19/04/14 14:46, Steven Ellis wrote:
>>>
>>> How stable is the Ubuntu / Myth combination these days. My 12.04 +
MythTV
>>> 0.26 is horrible and constantly crashing the UI.
>>

>> 12.04 with 0.26 backend has been very stable for me, no longer use the
>> myth frontend, everything is XBMC.
>>

> Hads
> Would you mind taking some time and sharing the pros and cons for using
XBMC over myth frontend or why you are using XMBC please?

Pros

Nicer metadata handling of ripped (or downloaded depending on your bent)
movies and TV

Great selection of addons (YouTube, vimeo, various streaming sites, photo
sites). In fact the ability to write addons in python is probably the
greatest strength. Take a look http://addons.xbmc.org/ - and that's only
the official ones.

Runs on more platforms (Win Mac Linux (including on arm) Android iOs). the
raspberry pi port in particular has brought very many people to the media
pc world.

Looks good / great skins

Ability to download subtitles on the fly.

Cons

Not much good for setting up recordings (use mythweb)
Re: Upgrade advice 0.26 or 0.27 [ In reply to ]
On 19/04/2014 2:46 p.m., Steven Ellis wrote:
> On Sat, April 5, 2014 11:23 am, Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Apr 4, 2014 8:17 PM, "David Shepherd" <david@daveshep.net.nz> wrote:
>>> I'm planning an upgrade over Easter and want a bit of advice on which
>> version to upgrade to. I'm a Debian user, current on Squeeze running myth
>> v0.24.2 from the Debian Multimedia repository. I can upgrade to either
>> the
>> stable latest Debian stable version which has kernel 3.2.51 and myth
>> v0.26+fixes or to the "testing" version which has kernel 3.13.7 and mythtv
>> v0.27+fixes. v0.27 seems to be getting a lot of fixes and I'm not sure if
>> that's a good or bad thing.Any advice appreciated. Happy to share more
>> details on my setup if that makes a difference.
>>> Dave
>>>
>> My advice, mythbuntu 14.04.
> How stable is the Ubuntu / Myth combination these days. My 12.04 + MythTV
> 0.26 is horrible and constantly crashing the UI.
>
> Bit distracted for some reason at the moment with other stuff to sort and
> test an upgrade.

Completed my upgrade to 0.26.1 from 0.24 (via Debian Stable upgrade)
last weekend and it's been rock solid so far. Had the usual niggly LIRC
issues and a few sound issues for apps outside of Myth but the
mythfrontend / backend combo has been great so far. Can't really tell
much difference functionality-wise from previous version.
Will see how it performs over the next few months and then consider an
upgrade to 0.27.