Thanks,

Alex Marshall
Mob: 027 444 0759
Re: Hello from Newbie [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:53:34 +1300, Alex Marshall <alexmnz@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this but am intending to build a HTPC to run MythTV on
> Ubuntu 12.04LTS.
> I am currently in my research phase but have quite a few questions I
> would like to ask.
> Not sure of the correct etiquette but what I will do is outline what i
> am trying to achieve and then ask a couple of questions.
>
> I am currently using Sky HD for my TV and do not have a computer at home
> as I just use my work laptop.
> I want to get rid of sky and use a PC primarily to record and shift TV
> (must do HD). I am going to buy another PC to use for web->surfing, bit
> of Android development, project work, music, etc.
>
> I have a DVD Home theatre player and PS3 to play Blu-ray so really only
> interested in playing TV through HDMI to my
> Panasonic Vierra TV (supports full 1080p). I have two aerials in my
> house an old UHF (never got a good picture on this) and >currently use
> the satellite dish from Sky.
>
> So
>
> 1. Which aerial should I use for HD recording DVB-T or DVB-S.
> 2. I am thinking of running front-end and back end on one computer in my
> living room dedicated to TV. Is this a good option and can I >keep this
> quiet enough.
> 3. Can I post a hardware spec for advice on whether this set-up will
> cope with both front-end and back-end for my requirements,
>
> Thanks,
>Alex Marshall
> Mob: 027 444 0759

I do pretty much the same as you are wishing to do.
I have a Panasonic Viera and use a Gigabyte GT 430 video card to feed
audio/video via HDMI cable to it.
I use DVB-T and recommend a HD Homerun for the tuner as well as a
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 this will allow you to cover all three DVB-T
multiplexes and have no conflicts in your shedules.
My system is also a combined BE/FE and is acceptably quiet with low noise
fans
My mother board is an Asus P8H61 MLE with dual core Intel G620 CPU 2.6
MHz - low end stuff,but it does the job very well.I have had no hardware
issues at all.

Paul
Re: Hello from Newbie [ In reply to ]
On 7 November 2013 12:53, Alex Marshall <alexmnz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this but am intending to build a HTPC to run MythTV on Ubuntu 12.04LTS.
> I am currently in my research phase but have quite a few questions I would like to ask.
> Not sure of the correct etiquette but what I will do is outline what i am trying to achieve and then ask a couple of questions.
>
> I am currently using Sky HD for my TV and do not have a computer at home as I just use my work laptop.
> I want to get rid of sky and use a PC primarily to record and shift TV (must do HD). I am going to buy another PC to use for web-surfing, bit of Android development, project work, music, etc.
>
> I have a DVD Home theatre player and PS3 to play Blu-ray so really only interested in playing TV through HDMI to my
> Panasonic Vierra TV (supports full 1080p). I have two aerials in my house an old UHF (never got a good picture on this) and currently use the satellite dish from Sky.
>
> So
>
> 1. Which aerial should I use for HD recording DVB-T or DVB-S.
> 2. I am thinking of running front-end and back end on one computer in my living room dedicated to TV. Is this a good option and can I keep this quiet enough.
> 3. Can I post a hardware spec for advice on whether this set-up will cope with both front-end and back-end for my requirements,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex Marshall
> Mob: 027 444 0759

You've arrived at the correct place for such advice - welcome! A tiny
bit of ettiquette for this email list - don't top post, and do use
plain text - thought I'd get in before someone else does ;)

MythTV is definitely the way you want to go - it will do everything
you want very nicely, and is practically the same setup as I have
(although mine runs from Arch linux).

1. You'll want a decent UHF aerial for DVB-T. If possible I'd go for
terrestrial, since it's HD and 1080i (at least on a few programs)
which is a pretty nice picture.

2. Get an nvidia card, one capable of VDPAU, feature set 'D', with at
least Advanced 2x de-interlacing capability
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU)

3. Yep - a single front end-backend works nicely - that's what I run
on my HTPC. But don't forget that it can serve other frontends, such
as your laptop. If you get a bit more flash, you can setup mythweb and
schedule recordings remotely from the internet anywhere, anytime. If
noise is a concern, you can get longer HDMI cables - 15-20m aren't too
much from trademe, or more if you're worried about the quality.
Similarly, I control my HTPC using a wireless USB keyboard/mouse combo
- the logitech K400
(http://www.logitech.com/en-nz/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r)
- I dont' recall paying quite that much for it though. Works well with
a 5m USB extension cable if you need a little more distance.

4. Look forward to reading your specs. An HTPC really doesn't require
that much grunt. Mine is overkill, with a i5-750 and Geforce 460GTX. A
good internal PCI-e card for DVB-T is the Hauppauge HVR-2200, or
HVR-2210. Dual tuners (so you want a decent UHF feed), and pretty
staight forward to get up and running.

Good luck!

Re: Hello from Newbie [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 7 November 2013 at 1:17 pm, Curtis Walker wrote:

> 1. You'll want a decent UHF aerial for DVB-T. If possible I'd go for
> terrestrial, since it's HD and 1080i (at least on a few programs)
> which is a pretty nice picture.

I have found the Matchmaster website quite good for roughly figuring out which UHF antenna is appropriate.

Just type in your street address: http://www.matchmaster.net.nz

—
Jonathan Hoskin

Re: Hello from Newbie [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> as your laptop. If you get a bit more flash, you can setup mythweb and
> schedule recordings remotely from the internet anywhere, anytime. If
> noise is a concern, you can get longer HDMI cables - 15-20m aren't too
> much from trademe, or more if you're worried about the quality.
> Similarly, I control my HTPC using a wireless USB keyboard/mouse combo
> - the logitech K400
> (http://www.logitech.com/en-nz/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r)
> - I dont' recall paying quite that much for it though. Works well with
> a 5m USB extension cable if you need a little more distance.
>
> 4. Look forward to reading your specs. An HTPC really doesn't require
> that much grunt. Mine is overkill, with a i5-750 and Geforce 460GTX. A
> good internal PCI-e card for DVB-T is the Hauppauge HVR-2200, or
> HVR-2210. Dual tuners (so you want a decent UHF feed), and pretty

I definitely recommend the HD Homerun because:

1. No driver drama

2. Known to work well.

3. Dual tuner

4. Available from list stalwart Hadley Rich at www.nicegear.co.nz

5. Removes the need for your backend to be close to your antenna outlet.
(Connects to the backend via ethernet).
Re: Hello from Newbie [ In reply to ]