Mailing List Archive

Compiling EPG data
Hi all,

With the hairy EPG ending and my DVB-S cards arriving I'm looking at grabbing
my own data.

I've been having a play with tv_grab_dvb and the epgsnoop.py script that was
posted recently (if anyone has a copy of the modified version of tv_grab_dvb
that Steve posted the other day I'd love to have a look at it).

They don't seem to hard to use, and I think I can put something together
relatively easily. The output that epgsnoop.py generates seems to be in a
different format (not XMLTV?). I like that script because it's python and I'm
happy hacking python to do what I want.

I'm guessing if I want to create a full listing like that on hairy then I need
to loop through and tune to each transponder and then use tv_grab_dvb or
epgsnoop? Then concatenate all the outputs together to create one master
file?

Any pointers would be great.

Cheers,

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's VoIP Supplier

Re: Compiling EPG data [ In reply to ]
>Hi all,
>
>With the hairy EPG ending and my DVB-S cards arriving I'm looking at grabbing
>my own data.
>
>I've been having a play with tv_grab_dvb and the epgsnoop.py script that was
>posted recently (if anyone has a copy of the modified version of tv_grab_dvb
>that Steve posted the other day I'd love to have a look at it).
>
>They don't seem to hard to use, and I think I can put something together
>relatively easily. The output that epgsnoop.py generates seems to be in a
>different format (not XMLTV?). I like that script because it's python and I'm
>happy hacking python to do what I want.
>
>I'm guessing if I want to create a full listing like that on hairy then I need
>to loop through and tune to each transponder and then use tv_grab_dvb or
>epgsnoop? Then concatenate all the outputs together to create one master
>file?
>
>Any pointers would be great.
>
>Cheers,
>
>hads
>
>--
>http://nicegear.co.nz
>New Zealand's VoIP Supplier

There used to be info on pvr.geek.nz on how to grab EPG. The basics
of it were something like:

NEWFILE=/tmp/listings-$$.xml
/usr/local/bin/dvbstream -s 22500 -o:/dev/null -f 1219 -p v -n 60 8192 &
/usr/local/bin/tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > $NEWFILE
killall dvbstream
mythfilldatabase --no-delete --file 2 -1 $NEWFILE

Or you can have a squiz at a copy of a script that I posted a while back:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/215004#215004

- Wade

Re: Compiling EPG data [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 01 November 2006 00:41, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> There used to be info on pvr.geek.nz on how to grab EPG. The basics
> of it were something like:
>
> NEWFILE=/tmp/listings-$$.xml
> /usr/local/bin/dvbstream -s 22500 -o:/dev/null -f 1219 -p v -n 60 8192 &
> /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > $NEWFILE
> killall dvbstream
> mythfilldatabase --no-delete --file 2 -1 $NEWFILE
>

> Or you can have a squiz at a copy of a script that I posted a while back:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/215004#215004

Thanks Wade,

I saw the page at pvr.geek but I assumed that each transponder would only
carry EPG for it's own channels. After comparing the output from the hairy
feed and my own grab from 12.671 (using tv_split) they appear to contain the
same number of channels (106 or so). I guess I just assumed wrong.

Cheers all,

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's VoIP supplier

Re: Compiling EPG data [ In reply to ]
On 10/31/06, Hadley Rich <mythtvnz@nice.net.nz> wrote:
> (if anyone has a copy of the modified version of tv_grab_dvb
> that Steve posted the other day I'd love to have a look at it).

I'll send you a copy once I'm back in NZ next week. Remind me if I
forget. Btw, if anyone wants to host a copy somewhere, let me know.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Compiling EPG data [ In reply to ]

www.mythtv.co.nz?

Re: Compiling EPG data [ In reply to ]
>On 10/31/06, Hadley Rich <mythtvnz@nice.net.nz> wrote:
>>(if anyone has a copy of the modified version of tv_grab_dvb
>>that Steve posted the other day I'd love to have a look at it).
>
>I'll send you a copy once I'm back in NZ next week. Remind me if I
>forget. Btw, if anyone wants to host a copy somewhere, let me know.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

If it's the one that outputs the categories, I'd be interested in
checking it out. I currently have a modified version spitting out a
feed at http://epg.hotblack.co.nz/listings_beta.xml.gz at the
moment, but the channel IDs are coming through as 1032.UNKNOWN rather
than 1032.dvb.guide. So using this new file with the categories
unfortunately won't be a drop in replacement for the main file.

Using the -c chanidents when running the modified tv_grab_dvb to
rectify this, causes my copy to segfault, so 1032.UNKNOWN is as good
as it's going to get for the moment.

But I can chuck a copy of the script up there if you like.

- Wade

Re: Compiling EPG data [ In reply to ]
Nick & Ann Read wrote:
>> Btw, if anyone wants to host a copy somewhere, let me know.
>>

> www.mythtv.co.nz?

More than happy to host the scripts :)

EPG data might be another matter for the moment.

Steve

--
Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited

Compiling EPG data [ In reply to ]
Does anyone know how the service-ids file is generated....
http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt

This has been really useful and if David's site is going down I'd like to
replicate and put somewhere.

Toby

Re: Compiling EPG data [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 14:41 +1300, Toby Mills wrote:
> Does anyone know how the service-ids file is generated....
> http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt
>
> This has been really useful and if David's site is going down I'd like to
> replicate and put somewhere.

It's a really hackish script I have that is parsing the output of scan.
I should re-write it to export more useful information based on parsing
the data from dvbsnoop.

On that supply of data, I've secured a sat feed for the foreseable
future, the EPG data and service IDs will remain. Will need to be
re-arranged a bit in how it's sourced, but the URLs won't change.

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Systems Architect
Re: Compiling EPG data [ In reply to ]
Quoting David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>:

> On that supply of data, I've secured a sat feed for the foreseable
> future, the EPG data and service IDs will remain. Will need to be
> re-arranged a bit in how it's sourced, but the URLs won't change.

New Zealand thanks you! :-)

Re: Compiling EPG data [ In reply to ]
David,

Thanks very much for keeping the EPG feed going.
It is greatly appreciated by many.

Regards
John Moore

Does anyone know how the service-ids file is generated.... http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt"]http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt This has been really useful and if David's site is going down I'd like to replicate and put somewhere.