Mailing List Archive

VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences.
I bought a VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S card off trademe which arrived
yesterday. My stock debian 2.6.16-2-486 kernel detected and loaded
everything except dvb_bt8xx. I've got the old style Sky LNB (11.3GHz
LOF) which works fine. Thanks to whoever wrote the DVB-S howto on
pvr.geek.nz very helpful. I was stoked when I simply pasted the
dvbstream/mplayer command and up popped tv one in widescreen! Looks
really nice (except for the poor job mplayer does with de-interlacing).

However, all other tuning/scan doesn't work - either from the command
line or from mythtv. This is what happens with dvbtune:

mythbox:~$ dvbtune -f 1183000 -s 22500 -p v -m
Using DVB card "DST DVB-S"
tuning DVB-S to L-Band:0, Pol:V Srate=22500000, 22kHz=off
ERROR setting tone
: Invalid argument
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
Bit error rate: 0
Signal strength: 16128
SNR: 6127
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
FE READ_BER: : Operation not supported
FE READ UNCORRECTED BLOCKS: : Operation not supported
Signal=16128, Verror=0, SNR=6127dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
FE READ_BER: : Operation not supported
FE READ UNCORRECTED BLOCKS: : Operation not supported
Signal=15360, Verror=0, SNR=6160dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
FE READ_BER: : Operation not supported
FE READ UNCORRECTED BLOCKS: : Operation not supported
Signal=15360, Verror=0, SNR=5974dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
FE READ_BER: : Operation not supported
FE READ UNCORRECTED BLOCKS: : Operation not supported
Signal=15360, Verror=0, SNR=6049dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
FE READ_BER: : Operation not supported
FE READ UNCORRECTED BLOCKS: : Operation not supported
Signal=15360, Verror=0, SNR=6124dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
FE READ_BER: : Operation not supported
FE READ UNCORRECTED BLOCKS: : Operation not supported
Signal=15360, Verror=0, SNR=6094dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)

...and so on...

For a quick and easy solution, could someone please send me a valid
channels.conf for Optus-B1?

Cheers!

Sam.

VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
OK, so I got the card to scan properly and am (mostly) happy watching
dvb-s through livetv. Turns out I had set the LNB up wrong in
mythtv-setup. I've only added channels from the 12483 transponder (is
there any other feeds available?). Most channels on the 12483
transponder have issues though. Playback appears slower and it sounds
like a samplerate mismatch (44100Hz instead of 48kHz). Any ideas?

What is "Test 4" (1904) on dvb? Some kind of new tvnz channel?

Sam.

Re: VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
On 10/15/06, Sam Hadley-Jones <sam@samborambo.ws> wrote:
> I've only added channels from the 12483 transponder (is
> there any other feeds available?).

Sky's transmissions of One and 2 are on 12671. You can also get a lot
of the digital radio stations Sky offer. Check out
http://lyngsat.com/optusb1.html.

> What is "Test 4" (1904) on dvb? Some kind of new tvnz channel?

"TVNZ Wide" TVNZ's widescreen test channel. It always seems to have
Stargate on it when I look at it these days.

Cheers,
Steve

VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
The apparent "sample rate" problem has gone away this evening. I
conclude that it was caused by rain fade - it's been crap weather all
day (actually, all week!) here in the Manawatu. Anyone here using a
technisat skystar 2 card? Experienced rain fade today from bad weather?
Would be interesting to compare performance. The dish and LNB are just
standard Sky installs.

Sam.

RE: VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
>Anyone here using a technisat skystar 2 card? Experienced rain fade today
from bad weather? Would be interesting to >compare performance. The dish and
LNB are just standard Sky installs.

Sam, my skystar has been turned off for 2 weeks now (I'm just over the hill
in the wairarapa), the signal dropouts (ie rainfade) have been killing my
backend repeadtedly. Can't wait for D1 to get online so I can turn it back
on.

Cheers
Toby

RE: VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
>> What is "Test 4" (1904) on dvb? Some kind of new tvnz channel?
>
> "TVNZ Wide" TVNZ's widescreen test channel. It always seems to have
> Stargate on it when I look at it these days.

A pity they couldn't ever play it right on analogue TV!

Craig

RE: VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
My mythbox has been running a bit unstable since I installed the dvb
card. I've got a PVR-150 in there also and the ivtv module throws a
wobbly every so often for no apparent reason - even when not
watching/recording from dvb. I get all kinds of whacky crap in the
backend log, notably this:

2006-10-18 09:40:28.657 DVBSignalMonitor(0)::constructor(2,Warning, can
not measure Bit Error Rate): Operation not supported
2006-10-18 09:40:28.661 DVBSignalMonitor(0)::constructor(2,Warning, can
not count Uncorrected Blocks): Operation not supported

This goes on every couple of minutes even when nothing is being
recorded/watched which makes for very big logs (2.5MB over the last
couple of days).

Otpus D1 transmission may not necessarily fix the problem if the
transponder is still being transmitted at the same power. Might do some
hunting to find the specs on D1. Failing that I'll probably get an
amplifier or a bigger dish.

Sam.

Re: VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
On 10/18/06, Sam Hadley-Jones <sam@samborambo.ws> wrote:
> I get all kinds of whacky crap in the
> backend log, notably this:
>
> 2006-10-18 09:40:28.657 DVBSignalMonitor(0)::constructor(2,Warning, can
> not measure Bit Error Rate): Operation not supported
> 2006-10-18 09:40:28.661 DVBSignalMonitor(0)::constructor(2,Warning, can
> not count Uncorrected Blocks): Operation not supported

"Operation not supported" implies either the driver or the hardware
isn't working quite right. I'd be a little cautious about assuming
that Optus B1 is to blame.

> Otpus D1 transmission may not necessarily fix the problem if the
> transponder is still being transmitted at the same power. Might do some
> hunting to find the specs on D1. Failing that I'll probably get an
> amplifier or a bigger dish.

It's a more powerful transmitter. That's why they are touting it as
reducing rain fade. But I'm not convinced it's the signal that's
causing your problems.

Steve

RE: VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
>My mythbox has been running a bit unstable since I installed the dvb card.
I've got a PVR-150 in there also and the ivtv module throws a wobbly every
so >often for no apparent reason - even when not watching/recording from
dvb. I get all kinds of whacky crap in the backend log, notably this:

You are describing the exact problem I have with my skystar 2.
I have heard D1 is much more powerful but now by how much.
I had also heard the B1 is low on fuel so they haven't been able to realign
it as often but I don't know if this is true or not.

Regards
Toby

Re: VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
On 10/18/06, Toby Mills <toby@np.co.nz> wrote:
> You are describing the exact problem I have with my skystar 2.

If you are getting the same messages, it may well be due to the low
power signal from B1. But there is a bug in the driver if that's
causing any significant problems.

> I have heard D1 is much more powerful but now by how much.

The number I've seen reported is that D1's transponders and three
times the power of B1's.

> I had also heard the B1 is low on fuel so they haven't been able to realign
> it as often but I don't know if this is true or not.

It's quite likely - Optus B1 is at or beyond the end of it's useful life.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
The VP-1020A is only $100 but the SkyStar 2 is more like $170.

Is the SkyStar worth the extra money?

Re: VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
On 10/18/06, alan.walls@paradise.net.nz <alan.walls@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> The VP-1020A is only $100 but the SkyStar 2 is more like $170.
>
> Is the SkyStar worth the extra money?

Maybe not for $170, but that seems quite high. A friend and I bought
SkyStar 2s from dvbshop.net for $120 each, including shipping. This
was about a year ago.

Cheers,
Steve

RE: VisionPlus 1020A DVB-S experiences. [ In reply to ]
Thanks. My memory served me wrong. I thought it was $170 from
dvbshop.net.

I checked again and its 39.65EUR + 35EUR shipping to NZ. That's just
over $140 for a single card. If you buy two cards the shipping stays
the same and the price is as you quoted.

What makes the SkyStar better than the VP-1020A? Is it worth even $20
more.