Anyone know how much longer until the new bird is commissioned?

Regards
Toby
Re: dodgy DVB again [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/06, Toby Mills <toby@np.co.nz> wrote:
> Anyone know how much longer until the new bird is commissioned?

Launch is scheduled for October 12:
http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission_up_336.html
Not sure how long it'll take to switch over once it's up.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: dodgy DVB again [ In reply to ]
Toby Mills wrote:
> Since saturday mythbackend has been crashing again,
> exact same symptoms as before, gradually increasing memory usage until it
> dies.
> As soon as I turn off DVB it works fine again.
> I noticed the oddball EPG things on saturday as well, could possibly be
> tied
> up with daylight savings?
>
> Anyone know how much longer until the new bird is commissioned?
>
> Regards
> Toby

I had some odd issues with DVB-T on Sunday, reception issue due to rain
meant I only had intermittent lock. Instead of getting 2.5GB/Hr files I
was getting 3.8Gb. Very odd but my backend stayed up.

Steve

Re: dodgy DVB again [ In reply to ]
Quoting Toby Mills <toby@np.co.nz>:

> Since saturday mythbackend has been crashing again,
> exact same symptoms as before, gradually increasing memory usage until it
> dies.

Typical - and I had only just re-enabled the DVB-S card yesterday morning!

> As soon as I turn off DVB it works fine again.
> I noticed the oddball EPG things on saturday as well, could possibly be tied
> up with daylight savings?

I haven't had a crash, but my test DVB-S recording on Sunday afternoon died
after increasing amounts of 'rain fade'. This could be due to the large amount
of rain on Sunday in Auckland :-) Probably also related to B1 wandering.

> Anyone know how much longer until the new bird is commissioned?

Hopefully asap if the combined weight of Sky subscribers have anything to say
about it. End of October?

Re: dodgy DVB again [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/06, Nick & Ann Read <nick.read@engineer.com> wrote:
> Typical - and I had only just re-enabled the DVB-S card yesterday morning!

The work around I'm using is to create a really big swap file. I'm
currently using 2GB which lets me record at least an hour without any
problem. Then I just have restart mythbackend once a day or so.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: dodgy DVB again [ In reply to ]
At 11:41 a.m. 2/10/2006, you wrote:
>Since saturday mythbackend has been crashing again,
>exact same symptoms as before, gradually increasing memory usage until it
>dies.
>As soon as I turn off DVB it works fine again.
>I noticed the oddball EPG things on saturday as well, could possibly be
>tied up with daylight savings?

Buggeration. Time to load the sticking plaster cron job -- running
'/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start' every three minutes. Does anyone else do
this?

>Anyone know how much longer until the new bird is commissioned?

The sooner it goes up and the sooner FreeView gets off the ground, the better.

--
Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth

Re: dodgy DVB again [ In reply to ]
Yes then you still have analogue http://mythblasterz.gotdns.com good luck

On 02/10/06, AlanP <alan.p@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> At 11:41 a.m. 2/10/2006, you wrote:
> >Since saturday mythbackend has been crashing again,
> >exact same symptoms as before, gradually increasing memory usage until it
> >dies.
> >As soon as I turn off DVB it works fine again.
> >I noticed the oddball EPG things on saturday as well, could possibly be
> >tied up with daylight savings?
>
> Buggeration. Time to load the sticking plaster cron job -- running
> '/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start' every three minutes. Does anyone else
> do
> this?
>
> >Anyone know how much longer until the new bird is commissioned?
>
> The sooner it goes up and the sooner FreeView gets off the ground, the
> better.
>
> >Regards
> >Toby
>
> --
> Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
> "Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth
> "When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson
> http://www.fanfiction.net/~mercva

Craig Appleton
Email: c.g.appleton@gmail.com
Phone: +64 27 472 9531
MSN Messenger: c_g_appleton@hotmail.com
Re: dodgy DVB again [ In reply to ]
At 04:14 p.m. 2/10/2006, you wrote:
>Yes then you still have analogue
><http://mythblasterz.gotdns.com>http://mythblasterz.gotdns.com good luck

Too much like work, that. I don't want to fiddle with lirc -- knowing my
luck, it'll break my Technisat USB remote. Plus then I wouldn't have any
EPG -- my sole source (no broadband) is DVB-S EIT using tv_grab_dvb.

I've got it ticking over nicely and, the moment I fiddle with it, it tends
to turn to custard. So I leave it alone when it (mostly) works.

Re: dodgy DVB again [ In reply to ]
AlanP wrote:
> At 11:41 a.m. 2/10/2006, you wrote:
>>Since saturday mythbackend has been crashing again,
>>exact same symptoms as before, gradually increasing memory usage until it
>>dies.
>>As soon as I turn off DVB it works fine again.
>>I noticed the oddball EPG things on saturday as well, could possibly be
>>tied up with daylight savings?
>
> Buggeration. Time to load the sticking plaster cron job -- running
> '/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start' every three minutes. Does anyone else
> do
> this?
>
>>Anyone know how much longer until the new bird is commissioned?
>
> The sooner it goes up and the sooner FreeView gets off the ground, the
> better.

Current word is not formal services until March 2007 for FreeView.

Steve

Re: dodgy DVB again [ In reply to ]
On Monday 02 October 2006 11:41, Toby Mills wrote:
> Since saturday mythbackend has been crashing again,
> exact same symptoms as before, gradually increasing memory usage until it
> dies.
> As soon as I turn off DVB it works fine again.
> I noticed the oddball EPG things on saturday as well, could possibly be
> tied up with daylight savings?
>
> Anyone know how much longer until the new bird is commissioned?
>
> Regards
> Toby
TOUCH WOOD... mine is steady at 8.2% for the backend although I do notice
mythfrontend using MUCH more memory and cpu since I've updated to 0.20 on my
Gentoo boxn

--
Regards
Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson