Mailing List Archive

channels
Steven Ellis wrote:
>> Frankly I'd rather the networks properly broadcast in 16:9 than worry
>> overly much about HD. I get pissed off watching almost anything on NZ TV
>> knowing that I am missing a huge chunk of the director's vision, not to
>> mention the awful waste of screen space on my widescreen TV.
>>

> The widescreen test channel is very nice, but does anyone know what the
> extra information is in the signal as if your screen doesn't overscan it
> becomes rather annoying.

Is there a free-to-air channel I'm missing? Do I need to look up secret
frequencies somewhere?
I'm getting 6 channels now (One, TV2, TV3, Maori, Prime, and
Trackside). Prime is fuzzy, and
Trackside is scrambled for half the day, and boring, especially when
it's scrambled. Kapiti coast.

Mike

Re: channels [ In reply to ]
On 9/6/06, Mike Dilger <mike@mikedilger.com> wrote:
> Steven Ellis wrote:
> >> Frankly I'd rather the networks properly broadcast in 16:9 than worry
> >> overly much about HD. I get pissed off watching almost anything on NZ TV
> >> knowing that I am missing a huge chunk of the director's vision, not to
> >> mention the awful waste of screen space on my widescreen TV.
> >>
> > The widescreen test channel is very nice, but does anyone know what the
> > extra information is in the signal as if your screen doesn't overscan it
> > becomes rather annoying.
> >
> Is there a free-to-air channel I'm missing? Do I need to look up secret
> frequencies somewhere?
> I'm getting 6 channels now (One, TV2, TV3, Maori, Prime, and
> Trackside). Prime is fuzzy, and
> Trackside is scrambled for half the day, and boring, especially when
> it's scrambled. Kapiti coast.

Do you have a DVB-S card?

Steve

Re: channels [ In reply to ]
Steve Hodge wrote:
>> NZ TV
>> not to
>> >>
>> > The widescreen test channel is very nice, but does anyone know what
>> the
>> > extra information is in the signal as if your screen doesn't
>> overscan it
>> > becomes rather annoying.
>> >
>> Is there a free-to-air channel I'm missing? Do I need to look up secret
>> frequencies somewhere?
>> I'm getting 6 channels now (One, TV2, TV3, Maori, Prime, and
>> Trackside). Prime is fuzzy, and
>> Trackside is scrambled for half the day, and boring, especially when
>> it's scrambled. Kapiti coast.
>
> Do you have a DVB-S card?
No, just a Hauppauge PVR-150. I had intended to get a DVB once there
was DVB... is there DVB to be had? If I get a DVB card now, will it
work with new stuff that is coming out later? Aren't there plans for
new digital, but not actual specs yet? I'm only vaguely aware of what's
available, and I'd love to be schooled.

Re: channels [ In reply to ]
On 9/7/06, Mike Dilger <mike@mikedilger.com> wrote:
> No, just a Hauppauge PVR-150. I had intended to get a DVB once there
> was DVB... is there DVB to be had? If I get a DVB card now, will it
> work with new stuff that is coming out later? Aren't there plans for
> new digital, but not actual specs yet? I'm only vaguely aware of what's
> available, and I'd love to be schooled.

There is DVB to be had, both via satellite (same satellite as Sky use)
and via terrestrial broadcast (which I don't know much about, but
Steven Ellis can probably fill you in on).

In the case of satellite you need a DVB-S card. There are plenty of
folks here using Technisat SkyStar2 DVB-S cards (which can be had for
less than $150) with their Sky Digital dishes. Sky transmit One and
TV2 unencrypted and TVNZ have their own test transponder which has
One, TV2, Maori TV, NASA TV, Bloomberg, and a test widescreen channel.
See http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb1.html for a list of services on the
Optus B1 satellite. Naturally the quality is much better than non-DVB.

As to whether these cards will work with FreeView when that gets off
the ground, we don't know for sure. It looks reasonably likely though.

Some useful info is available at http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Digital_TV

Cheers,
Steve

Re: channels [ In reply to ]
At 12:31 p.m. 7/09/2006, you wrote:
>See http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb1.html for a list of services on the
>Optus B1 satellite. Naturally the quality is much better than non-DVB.

Another major advantage is the EPG broadcast over DVB-S -- you're not
dependant on a EPG on the internet, which may or may not keep working. If
you're on dialup, then it has an added bonus of not needing an internet
connection just for the Mythbox. This is as big an issue as the quality of
picture, to my mind.

--
Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth

Re: channels [ In reply to ]
On 9/7/06, AlanP <alan.p@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> Another major advantage is the EPG broadcast over DVB-S -- you're not
> dependant on a EPG on the internet, which may or may not keep working. If
> you're on dialup, then it has an added bonus of not needing an internet
> connection just for the Mythbox. This is as big an issue as the quality of
> picture, to my mind.

Yes I meant to mention that. It's a major plus.

Steve

Re: channels [ In reply to ]
Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 9/7/06, Mike Dilger <mike@mikedilger.com> wrote:
>> No, just a Hauppauge PVR-150. I had intended to get a DVB once there
>> was DVB... is there DVB to be had? If I get a DVB card now, will it
>> work with new stuff that is coming out later? Aren't there plans for
>> new digital, but not actual specs yet? I'm only vaguely aware of what's
>> available, and I'd love to be schooled.
>
> There is DVB to be had, both via satellite (same satellite as Sky use)
> and via terrestrial broadcast (which I don't know much about, but
> Steven Ellis can probably fill you in on).

As far as i'm currently aware the only trasmitter with DVB-T turned on is
Waiatarua. This should change by the end of the year.

> In the case of satellite you need a DVB-S card. There are plenty of
> folks here using Technisat SkyStar2 DVB-S cards (which can be had for
> less than $150) with their Sky Digital dishes. Sky transmit One and
> TV2 unencrypted and TVNZ have their own test transponder which has
> One, TV2, Maori TV, NASA TV, Bloomberg, and a test widescreen channel.
> See http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb1.html for a list of services on the
> Optus B1 satellite. Naturally the quality is much better than non-DVB.
>
> As to whether these cards will work with FreeView when that gets off
> the ground, we don't know for sure. It looks reasonably likely though.
>
> Some useful info is available at http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Digital_TV

Thanks for that link, i've added it to the http://www.mythtv.co.nz digital
tv page.

Steve