Mailing List Archive

Wireless (was Re: Diskless Frontend)
on 4/09/2006 7:50 p.m. Robin Gilks wrote:
> As far as wireless goes, I've not seen anyone who has been really happy
> with it - my house was prewired with cat5 for the phones so I just put a
> switch in the garage where its all distributed from and use DSE rj45
> phone/ethernet splitters where I want net access.

FWIW I don't have a myth frontend running on wireless, but I do have an
XBox media centre running over wireless, and I can't say I have noticed
any issues with network performance. Myth may be another issue however,
specifically with live TV etc.

I have 2 WRT54G units, flashed with the DD-WRT firmware. One is
connected to the XBox and is set to bridge mode, on the same subnet.
Other is connected to my media server, and supports the bridging router
as well as other wireless devices.

Routers are at about 6 metres separation (smallish house), and one is
tweaked with slightly higher power output (a DD-WRT feature) and QOS
specifically giving priority to media files (another DD-WRT feature).
You can change the play buffering in XBMC for media files, but I didn't
have to - and could probably reduce it.

I'd recommend trying this setup to anyone that _has_ to do wireless, as
it works pretty flawlessly for me - even with other wireless devices
connected to the main WRT router. Not the cheapest option though - a
WRT is more expensive than the XBox it hangs off...

I'd be interested to see someone try this setup with Myth - I'm moving
house soon and hopefully finishing my Myth backend & frontend then - but
will be hard wired only. I can probably lend the router for a week or
two (in Auck) if someone wanted to try wireless.

cheers

Re: Wireless (was Re: Diskless Frontend) [ In reply to ]
Howard wrote:

> on 4/09/2006 7:50 p.m. Robin Gilks wrote:
>
>> As far as wireless goes, I've not seen anyone who has been really happy
>> with it - my house was prewired with cat5 for the phones so I just put a
>> switch in the garage where its all distributed from and use DSE rj45
>> phone/ethernet splitters where I want net access.
>

> FWIW I don't have a myth frontend running on wireless, but I do have
> an XBox media centre running over wireless, and I can't say I have
> noticed any issues with network performance. Myth may be another
> issue however, specifically with live TV etc.

I have 2 computers on wireless, and 1 server hardwired. 802.11g only.

My main MythTV box in the livingroom is wireless (but it's the backend too).

My office computer is wireless, and I've got a mythfrontend on it. I've
watched TV in my office just as successfully. The wireless works great.

-Mike

Re: Wireless (was Re: Diskless Frontend) [ In reply to ]
Howard wrote:
> on 4/09/2006 7:50 p.m. Robin Gilks wrote:
>> As far as wireless goes, I've not seen anyone who has been really happy
>> with it - my house was prewired with cat5 for the phones so I just put a
>> switch in the garage where its all distributed from and use DSE rj45
>> phone/ethernet splitters where I want net access.
>
> FWIW I don't have a myth frontend running on wireless, but I do have an
> XBox media centre running over wireless, and I can't say I have noticed
> any issues with network performance. Myth may be another issue however,
> specifically with live TV etc.
>
> I have 2 WRT54G units, flashed with the DD-WRT firmware. One is
> connected to the XBox and is set to bridge mode, on the same subnet.
> Other is connected to my media server, and supports the bridging router
> as well as other wireless devices.
>
> Routers are at about 6 metres separation (smallish house), and one is
> tweaked with slightly higher power output (a DD-WRT feature) and QOS
> specifically giving priority to media files (another DD-WRT feature).
> You can change the play buffering in XBMC for media files, but I didn't
> have to - and could probably reduce it.
>
> I'd recommend trying this setup to anyone that _has_ to do wireless, as
> it works pretty flawlessly for me - even with other wireless devices
> connected to the main WRT router. Not the cheapest option though - a
> WRT is more expensive than the XBox it hangs off...
>
> I'd be interested to see someone try this setup with Myth - I'm moving
> house soon and hopefully finishing my Myth backend & frontend then - but
> will be hard wired only. I can probably lend the router for a week or
> two (in Auck) if someone wanted to try wireless.

Problem is for some people wireless is the only way to go. I have seen
some fairly extreme cases that have caused lots of strange problems as
802.11g just doesn't cut it. Just hope they can finalise 802.11n.

One interesting example are people turning the wireless router off
ovenight to prevent people hacking their network and then wondering why
the EPG has no data as it can't get out to the interney :).

Steve

Re: Wireless (was Re: Diskless Frontend) [ In reply to ]
Steven Ellis wrote:

>One interesting example are people turning the wireless router off
>ovenight to prevent people hacking their network and then wondering why
>the EPG has no data as it can't get out to the interney :).

That's hilarious! Most devices can do MAC address filtering. Most
hubs can be set to not broadcast their SSID. And WPA is pretty good.
But I suppose pulling the plug is easier for some people... -Mike

Re: Wireless (was Re: Diskless Frontend) [ In reply to ]
Mike Dilger wrote:
> Steven Ellis wrote:
>
>>One interesting example are people turning the wireless router off
>>ovenight to prevent people hacking their network and then wondering why
>>the EPG has no data as it can't get out to the interney :).
>>

> That's hilarious! Most devices can do MAC address filtering. Most
> hubs can be set to not broadcast their SSID. And WPA is pretty good.
> But I suppose pulling the plug is easier for some people... -Mike

Yes I can support both WPA and WEP (128bit) with myPVR. Some customers
with wireless don't have either of these turned on when I install and I
usually have to setup WPA as i'm installing.

Steve

Re: Wireless (was Re: Diskless Frontend) [ In reply to ]
On 1:35 pm 09/05/06 Mike Dilger <mike@mikedilger.com> wrote:
> Steven Ellis wrote:
>
> > One interesting example are people turning the wireless router off
> > ovenight to prevent people hacking their network and then wondering
> > why the EPG has no data as it can't get out to the interney :).
> >

> That's hilarious! Most devices can do MAC address filtering. Most
> hubs can be set to not broadcast their SSID. And WPA is pretty good.
> But I suppose pulling the plug is easier for some people... -Mike

Even funnier is the idea that hacking only happens at night LOL.