Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/06, David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 16:52 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > > Alternatively perhaps someone could figure out how to get the categories on
> > > a linux box, I don't get warm fuzzies by downloading guide data from a
> > > windows machine for my linux pvr.
> >
> > I have been messing about with tv_grab_dvb and have a version that
> > gets the categories in Sky's data. But they use non-standard
> > categories and also seem to be putting some ratings advisory flags in
> > there (e.g. contains violence, language, etc). Sky themselves don't
> > seem to use the categories in their decoders (at least I haven't found
> > it in my non-MySky decoder), and their website only uses the top level
> > categories. So I've got nothing to compare against. When I get this
> > stuff working nicely post it to the list.
>
> When you've got it in a functional state, post a URL or flick me a copy,
> and I'll switch hairy.geek.nz's EPG feed to it.

I've finally got around to getting something working reasonably well -
I've modified tv_grab_dvb to decode the content categories using a
text map file. I've even had a quick go at figuring out Sky's
non-standard categories. I'll email you a copy directly. If anyone
else is interested let me know.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
Steve Hodge wrote:
>> categories on
>> from a
>> >
>> > I have been messing about with tv_grab_dvb and have a version that
>> > gets the categories in Sky's data. But they use non-standard
>> > categories and also seem to be putting some ratings advisory flags in
>> > there (e.g. contains violence, language, etc). Sky themselves don't
>> > seem to use the categories in their decoders (at least I haven't found
>> > it in my non-MySky decoder), and their website only uses the top level
>> > categories. So I've got nothing to compare against. When I get this
>> > stuff working nicely post it to the list.
>>
>> When you've got it in a functional state, post a URL or flick me a copy,
>> and I'll switch hairy.geek.nz's EPG feed to it.
>
> I've finally got around to getting something working reasonably well -
> I've modified tv_grab_dvb to decode the content categories using a
> text map file. I've even had a quick go at figuring out Sky's
> non-standard categories. I'll email you a copy directly. If anyone
> else is interested let me know.
I'm very interested :) It will be interesting to see how well this works
on the DVB-T network once they actually turn on the EIT support.

Steve

--
Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited

RE: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
> I've finally got around to getting something working reasonably well -
> I've modified tv_grab_dvb to decode the content categories using a
> text map file.

Steve, thanks for sending me the script, it works well, only problem is it
generates the times with an hour offset, does anyone know how to correct
this, is it using mythfilldatabase or the script.

Regards
Toby

RE: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
>Steve, thanks for sending me the script, it works well, only problem is it
generates the times with an hour offset, does >anyone know how to correct
this, is it using mythfilldatabase or the script.

Actually its not an hour, its some other number, what offset are you using?
I found the place to change it using the script.

Toby

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On 9/28/06, Toby Mills <toby@np.co.nz> wrote:
> > I've finally got around to getting something working reasonably well -
> > I've modified tv_grab_dvb to decode the content categories using a
> > text map file.
>
> Steve, thanks for sending me the script, it works well, only problem is it
> generates the times with an hour offset, does anyone know how to correct
> this, is it using mythfilldatabase or the script.

There's a "-o" option to add an offset to the time. I use "-o 12" and
it seems to work. However, I haven't looked at that part of the code
at all so I don't really know what's going on.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On 9/28/06, Toby Mills <toby@np.co.nz> wrote:
> >Steve, thanks for sending me the script, it works well, only problem is it
> generates the times with an hour offset, does >anyone know how to correct
> this, is it using mythfilldatabase or the script.
>
> Actually its not an hour, its some other number, what offset are you using?
> I found the place to change it using the script.

The whole script I use to load EPG data is:
-------------
#!/bin/sh
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
rm /home/mythtv/listings-*.xml
dvbstream -s 22500 -o:/dev/null -f 1371 -p v -n 60 8192 &
/home/mythtv/tv_grab_dvb -s --user-categories
--category-map=/home/mythtv/categories_skynz -o 12 >
/home/mythtv/listings-$$.xml
#mythfilldatabase --update --file 1 -1 /home/mythtv/listings-$$.xml
mythfilldatabase --update --file 2 -1 /home/mythtv/listings-$$.xml
mythfilldatabase --update --file 4 -1 /home/mythtv/listings-$$.xml
#rm /home/mythtv/listings-$$.xml
killall dvbstream
---------------

This gives me correct local date/times in the xml file. E.g. Just
Shoot Me on Sky 1 shows: start="20060928180000"

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 16:27 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 8/10/06, David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> > When you've got it in a functional state, post a URL or flick me a copy,
> > and I'll switch hairy.geek.nz's EPG feed to it.
>
> I've finally got around to getting something working reasonably well -
> I've modified tv_grab_dvb to decode the content categories using a
> text map file. I've even had a quick go at figuring out Sky's
> non-standard categories. I'll email you a copy directly. If anyone
> else is interested let me know.

This is now feeding http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/latest_beta.xml.gz .. I
will switch it over to the default file based on feedback.. :)

At the moment, I'm using very limited category selections.

I can't actually test this in my own Myth install because I use the
built-in EIT scanner. Anyone confirm the beta file above is okay?

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Systems Architect
Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On Friday 29 September 2006 10:23, David Zanetti wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 16:27 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > I've finally got around to getting something working reasonably well -
> > I've modified tv_grab_dvb to decode the content categories using a
> > text map file. I've even had a quick go at figuring out Sky's
> > non-standard categories. I'll email you a copy directly. If anyone
> > else is interested let me know.
>
> This is now feeding http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/latest_beta.xml.gz .. I
> will switch it over to the default file based on feedback.. :)
>
> At the moment, I'm using very limited category selections.
>
> I can't actually test this in my own Myth install because I use the
> built-in EIT scanner. Anyone confirm the beta file above is okay?

I've just tried it and it the listing themselves appear fine.

It picks up a few categories which is cool but it does appear to categorise a
lot into "show/game show"

Here is a screeshot of mythweb; http://mail.nice.net.nz/epg.png

Also, to satisfy my curiosity and for my own future use, is there a reason you
haven't tried the epgsnoop script that Andrew Bruce posted a while back?
There was at least one report of it working well.

Thanks for the EPG BTW. I don't have a DVB card yet but I'm planning on
getting one or two in sometime soon.

Cheers,

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's VoIP supplier

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 10:57 +1200, Hadley Rich wrote:
> On Friday 29 September 2006 10:23, David Zanetti wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 16:27 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > > I've finally got around to getting something working reasonably well -
> > > I've modified tv_grab_dvb to decode the content categories using a
> > > text map file. I've even had a quick go at figuring out Sky's
> > > non-standard categories. I'll email you a copy directly. If anyone
> > > else is interested let me know.
> >
> > This is now feeding http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/latest_beta.xml.gz .. I
> > will switch it over to the default file based on feedback.. :)
> >
> > At the moment, I'm using very limited category selections.
> >
> > I can't actually test this in my own Myth install because I use the
> > built-in EIT scanner. Anyone confirm the beta file above is okay?
>
> I've just tried it and it the listing themselves appear fine.
>
> It picks up a few categories which is cool but it does appear to categorise a
> lot into "show/game show"

Yes, that's coming from the use of limited category selections.. I will
try out the more extended set shortly.

> Also, to satisfy my curiosity and for my own future use, is there a reason you
> haven't tried the epgsnoop script that Andrew Bruce posted a while back?
> There was at least one report of it working well.

No specific reason, I had forgotten about it actually :)

I might hook that up to another feed as well. Since the machine has a
DVB card dedicated to nothing but guide harvesting, it's easy enough to
run several.

Re: Re: DVB issues [ In reply to ]
On 9/29/06, Hadley Rich <mythtvnz@nice.net.nz> wrote:
> Also, to satisfy my curiosity and for my own future use, is there a reason you
> haven't tried the epgsnoop script that Andrew Bruce posted a while back?
> There was at least one report of it working well.

I had a look at it yesterday, finally. It helped me realise that what
I thought was Sky sending out the category data in the wrong field was
infact a bug in the version of tv_grab_dvb I was working from. So
there will be another release some time. But first I want to look at
extracting the parental rating data and optionally appending it to the
description. I don't think MythTV can use that data as it's presented
by the Python script (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

That Python script takes the category descriptions directly from
dvbsnoop, and that only knows the categories listed in the DVB
standard (and they're hard coded in there). So one or the other would
need modification to get Sky's non-standard categories. If David
switches over to the Sky NZ mapping file I set up you'll see
categories such as "Rugby Union" and "Cricket" which aren't in the
standard. So as it stands tv_grab_dvb at least has the potential to
give us more accurate categories.

Cheers,
Steve