Mailing List Archive

Slow skip with internal Mythtv player
I'm using PVR-150 capture cards to record tv.

On a PIII 800Mhz frontend (not the backend machine) skipping through the
ads on recorded shows is painfully slow.

Mplayer seems to do much better skipping through MPEG-2 files.

The frontend running on the same machine as the backend is a little bit
slow but no where near as bad as above.

Is it possible on the remote frontend to use mplayer instead of the
internal mythtv media player?
I never had these problems when using software nupple video encoded
files, it has developed since I changed to using the PVR capture cards.
Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Re: Slow skip with internal Mythtv player [ In reply to ]
Hi Graeme,

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 16:00 +1200, Graeme Woollett wrote:
> On a PIII 800Mhz frontend (not the backend machine) skipping through the
> ads on recorded shows is painfully slow.

I had this happen after upgrading my frontend the other week, skipping
forward 30 seconds was painful and the player required a long time to
sort itself out and start playing again.

During that upgrade the timezone on the frontend became confused and it
decided it was UTC. I fixed that the other night and the now skipping
forward works correctly.

No idea if it'll fix things for you, but it might be worth a try. BTW,
I'm using a PVR-250 for recording

Cheers!

--
At home: andrew@etc.gen.nz | This space intentionally

Re: Slow skip with internal Mythtv player [ In reply to ]
Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> Hi Graeme,
>
> On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 16:00 +1200, Graeme Woollett wrote:
>
>> On a PIII 800Mhz frontend (not the backend machine) skipping through the
>> ads on recorded shows is painfully slow.
>>

> I had this happen after upgrading my frontend the other week, skipping
> forward 30 seconds was painful and the player required a long time to
> sort itself out and start playing again.
>
> During that upgrade the timezone on the frontend became confused and it
> decided it was UTC. I fixed that the other night and the now skipping
> forward works correctly.
>
> No idea if it'll fix things for you, but it might be worth a try. BTW,
> I'm using a PVR-250 for recording
>
> Cheers!

That makes some sense, the frontend's time is 12 hrs out.

Thanx

Re: Slow skip with internal Mythtv player [ In reply to ]
Quoting Graeme Woollett <g.woollett@irl.cri.nz>:

> >> On a PIII 800Mhz frontend (not the backend machine) skipping through
> the
> >> ads on recorded shows is painfully slow.

One other thing to check - this happened to me causing skipping to take ages and
also complete miscalculations of recording lengths. The RECORDEDMARKUP table
contains all the MPEG seeking info as well as the commercial flag stuff (I think).

Anyway, this table had gotten corrupted and Myth couldn't insert anything into
it, causing the sort of problem you describe. Might pay to run a check over
your MySQL tables and/or check the backend logs.

Probably not what's happening here, but worth a mention.

Regards,
Duncan