Mailing List Archive

paradise cable frequencies
Hi. I have a question, but ought to provide a brief introduction first, so
here it is. Note anything I wasn't sure of I just made up. Looking this
stuff up is hard work!
I decided to build a pvr after my video packed up. I would have been easier
to get a hard disk recorder, but where is the fun in that? I'm using an AMD
3.5 Gb running ubuntu kernel 2.6.12-9-amd64-k8 as a combined front/back
end. I have a hauppauge 150 with composite input from a paradise decoder
and an nvidia-type graphics card with composite output into the TV. I've
got an mce usb remote with built in transmitter. The receiver works fine,
although the transmitter is not supported under lirc currently. The picture
is acceptable, but poor and I can't change the channel.
My question is does anybody know what frequencies paradise uses for the free
channels on its cable? I have a splitter on the paradise cable, one feed
going to the decoder, one going to the rf in on the TV, and one going to the
hauppauge. I can watch TV1/2/3 etc on the TV without using the decoder, as
paradise doesn't encrypt these channels. I can plug rabbit ears into the
hauppauge and get tv1/2/3 that way, but I can't tune the hauppauge into the
unencrypted cable channels. I think I need to specify a frequency table
somehow, but I don't know how or which one to use.

Re: paradise cable frequencies [ In reply to ]
For cable TV feeds you'll need a DVB-C tuner card, not a VHF/UHF card.
Not sure of the support situation with dvb-c cards but I guess they
appear just the same as dvb-s.

There's been some issues lately with auto-tuning dvb channels in mythtv.
This is known as EIT and it receives all channel listings through a
reserved channel (meaning no need for grabbing XML listings each week).
You can still enter the channel freqs manually if you get stuck - that
is, once you've got a dvb-c card.

Try googling "mythtv dvb-c"

Regards,

Sam H-J.

Re: paradise cable frequencies [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 00:31 +1200, Sam Hadley-Jones wrote:
> For cable TV feeds you'll need a DVB-C tuner card, not a VHF/UHF card.
> Not sure of the support situation with dvb-c cards but I guess they
> appear just the same as dvb-s.

Can anyone confirm there's any unencrypted DVB-C content on the cable?
Would be rather unexpected if there is, and I may splash out on a DVB-C
card shortly in that case..

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Re: paradise cable frequencies [ In reply to ]
On 5/5/06, Sam Hadley-Jones <sam@samborambo.ws> wrote:
> For cable TV feeds you'll need a DVB-C tuner card, not a VHF/UHF card.
> Not sure of the support situation with dvb-c cards but I guess they
> appear just the same as dvb-s.

Ralph said an RF cable directly into the TV works for 1,2,3 etc so he
should be able to get those same channels with his PVR 150.

Steve

Re: paradise cable frequencies [ In reply to ]
On 04/05/06, Ralph Malph wrote:
> My question is does anybody know what frequencies paradise uses for the free
> channels on its cable? I have a splitter on the paradise cable, one feed
> going to the decoder, one going to the rf in on the TV, and one going to the

Fortunately for you I no longer work for TelstraClear.
TelstraClear takes a dim view of people intalling their own splitters
- mainly due to concerns about signal reflections interfering with
other customers' reception.

Yuri

Re: paradise cable frequencies [ In reply to ]
I still do but I wont tell. :)