Mailing List Archive

"mythtv.co.nz"
> I've actually been talking to Issac. If he wants it he can have it.
> Wanted to make sure I didn't tread on his toes with any content that I
> published there. Also wanted to protect the domain from some of my
> proprietary competition. Wouldn't want M$ or Sky owning it would you?
>
> The aim for it is to be reasonably neutral. OpenMedia will sponsor it
> and hopefully derive some exposure, but the driver is the technology
> and pushing it locally.

So why not have it under openmedia.co.nz, or pvr.geek.nz? It seems that
there are a fracturing number of NZ-support-for-MythTV places already, and
if you're going to sell something, you'd probably be best to brand it under
your own name?

Seen http://www.d1.com.au/hmc/welcome.php ?

Craig

Re: 'mythtv.co.nz' [ In reply to ]
>> I've actually been talking to Issac. If he wants it he can have it.
>> Wanted to make sure I didn't tread on his toes with any content that I
>> published there. Also wanted to protect the domain from some of my
>> proprietary competition. Wouldn't want M$ or Sky owning it would you?
>>
>> The aim for it is to be reasonably neutral. OpenMedia will sponsor it
>> and hopefully derive some exposure, but the driver is the technology
>> and pushing it locally.
>
> So why not have it under openmedia.co.nz, or pvr.geek.nz? It seems that
> there are a fracturing number of NZ-support-for-MythTV places already, and
> if you're going to sell something, you'd probably be best to brand it
> under
> your own name?

I did consider this. I'd like to build it into a neutral portal, but i've
been dragging my feet on this due to real world constraints.

> Seen http://www.d1.com.au/hmc/welcome.php ?

Interesting. Any ideas what is under the hood?

Steve

Re: 'mythtv.co.nz' [ In reply to ]

RE: 'mythtv.co.nz' [ In reply to ]
> I did consider this. I'd like to build it into a neutral portal, but
> i've been dragging my feet on this due to real world constraints.

It would seem that pvr.geek.nz has become the place for that already.
Perhaps you could find a way to assist them?

>> Seen http://www.d1.com.au/hmc/welcome.php ?
>
> Interesting. Any ideas what is under the hood?

A Shuttle running MythTV.

Craig

Re: 'mythtv.co.nz' [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:27:18 +1200
Craig Box wrote:

> > I did consider this. I'd like to build it into a neutral portal, but
> > i've been dragging my feet on this due to real world constraints.
>
> It would seem that pvr.geek.nz has become the place for that already.
> Perhaps you could find a way to assist them?

I am all in favour of one wiki to rule them all - ok it will never
happen.

I like the idea of getting behind pvr.geek.nz though, so much so that i
just added a bit about this mailing list (software page) and added its
rss feed as a live bookmark in firefox :-)

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: 'mythtv.co.nz' [ In reply to ]
Craig Box wrote:

>>I did consider this. I'd like to build it into a neutral portal, but
>>i've been dragging my feet on this due to real world constraints.
>>

>It would seem that pvr.geek.nz has become the place for that already.
>Perhaps you could find a way to assist them?

Happy to work with them.

>>>Seen http://www.d1.com.au/hmc/welcome.php ?
>>>

>>Interesting. Any ideas what is under the hood?
>>

>A Shuttle running MythTV.

Funny that I can't find references to MythTV on their website. Could you
point me at the right page with the info

Steve

--
Technical Support - OpenMedia Limited
email - support@openmedia.co.nz

RE: 'mythtv.co.nz' [ In reply to ]
> Funny that I can't find references to MythTV on their website. Could
> you point me at the right page with the info

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hs=yzV&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla
%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=australia+hmc+mythtv&btnG=Search&meta=

(Of course, they don't exactly go out of their way to tell people you can
build one of these yourself.)

Craig

Re: 'mythtv.co.nz' [ In reply to ]
On 4/26/06, Craig Box <craig@dubculture.co.nz> wrote:
> > Funny that I can't find references to MythTV on their website. Could
> > you point me at the right page with the info
>
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?hs=yzV&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla
> %3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=australia+hmc+mythtv&btnG=Search&meta=
>
> (Of course, they don't exactly go out of their way to tell people you can
> build one of these yourself.)

Also see page 58 of the manual
(http://d1.com.au/hmc/downloads/HMC_Owners_Manual.pdf).

Steve

Re: 'mythtv.co.nz' [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 10:39 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> > It would seem that pvr.geek.nz has become the place for that already.
> > Perhaps you could find a way to assist them?
>
> I am all in favour of one wiki to rule them all - ok it will never
> happen.
>
> I like the idea of getting behind pvr.geek.nz though, so much so that i
> just added a bit about this mailing list (software page) and added its
> rss feed as a live bookmark in firefox :-)

pvr.geek.nz I started just because I could, with originally the
intention of documenting the DVB-S setup, as I was being asked fairly
often about details.

I would welcome others fleshing it out, but equally I am just as happy
if there are other places as well - I have no expectations of
pvr.geek.nz being the one wiki to rule them all :)

Consider it a space to do whatever people think needs to be documented
for NZ.

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Re: 'mythtv.co.nz' [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:40:26 +1200
David Zanetti wrote:

> I would welcome others fleshing it out, but equally I am just as happy
> if there are other places as well - I have no expectations of
> pvr.geek.nz being the one wiki to rule them all :)

thank you

> Consider it a space to do whatever people think needs to be documented
> for NZ.

you identify an issue relevant to both wikis and this list. I see little
point in diagnosing general myth problems on this list, or documenting
general myth issues on a local wiki. IMHO general issues are better
handled by the main myth mailing list and wiki, as it saves
fragmentation. NZ issues and conditions are more appropriate on the
local resources.

OTOH the main mythtv-users list is very high volume, and sometimes high
noise.

Cheers.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: 'mythtv.co.nz' [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 10:51 +1200, OpenMedia Support wrote:

> Funny that I can't find references to MythTV on their website. Could you
> point me at the right page with the info

Watch a couple of the demo avi's they have there. It looks awfully
familiar...

Cheers!

--
At home: andrew@etc.gen.nz | This space intentionally