Mailing List Archive

Nvidia drivers warning (Gentoo)
Today, because my nvidia drivers were the masked versions they were updated to
version 1.0.8756 which then gave me an error in Mythtv - "unable to enable
video" or something like that.

Going back to the previous version fixed the problem.

/etc/portage/package.keywords now has.....
=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8178-r1
=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r3

mythtv ~ # emerge -s nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx
Searching...
[ Results for search key : nvidia-kernel ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* media-video/nvidia-kernel
Latest version available: 1.0.8178-r3
Latest version installed: 1.0.8178-r3
Size of downloaded files: 21,059 kB
Homepage: http://www.nvidia.com/
License: NVIDIA

Searching...
[ Results for search key : nvidia-glx ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* media-video/nvidia-glx
Latest version available: 1.0.8178-r1
Latest version installed: 1.0.8178-r1

Re: Nvidia drivers warning (Gentoo) [ In reply to ]
On 4/10/06, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> Today, because my nvidia drivers were the masked versions they were updated to
> version 1.0.8756 which then gave me an error in Mythtv - "unable to enable
> video" or something like that.

If you've set up your system to use "unstable" packages you've got to
be ready for this sort of thing, unfortunately. It's why I don't do
"emerge -u world".

The feedback on the main mythtv mailing lists seems to be generally
positive for 8756 though:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-April/132199.html
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-April/132360.html

Steve

Re: Nvidia drivers warning (Gentoo) [ In reply to ]
On Monday 10 April 2006 10:02 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:

> If you've set up your system to use "unstable" packages you've got to
> be ready for this sort of thing, unfortunately. It's why I don't do
> "emerge -u world".

I use emerge -uDpv world
Unfortunately the "stable" nvidia drivers do not seem to work for me either.

Re: Nvidia drivers warning (Gentoo) [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/06, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 10:02 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
> > If you've set up your system to use "unstable" packages you've got to
> > be ready for this sort of thing, unfortunately. It's why I don't do
> > "emerge -u world".
>
> I use emerge -uDpv world
> Unfortunately the "stable" nvidia drivers do not seem to work for me either.

I had a similar problem when installing the nvidia drivers on Debian
Unstable (2.6.16 kernel), but found the solution with post #1 in the
following thread:

HTH

-- simon

Re: Nvidia drivers warning (Gentoo) [ In reply to ]
I installed those as well (also Gentoo) without too much problems.
Only a custom resolution that the earlier driver had always rejected (and I had forgotten about)
prevented X from showing on the LCD monitor. Editing the resolution line in xorg.conf fixed that.

So far no other issues detected.

Cheers,
Bert

Re: Nvidia drivers warning (Gentoo) [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/06, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 10:02 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
> > If you've set up your system to use "unstable" packages you've got to
> > be ready for this sort of thing, unfortunately. It's why I don't do
> > "emerge -u world".
>
> I use emerge -uDpv world

Right, which means any packages you've got set to allow "unstable" are
going to be upgraded to new unstable versions. You might be better off
actually specifying the version that works so that it doesn't get
upgraded.

Personally in a production environment (which is essentially what my
myth box is) I think emerge -u world is risky even without "unstable"
packages. If the system works why blindly upgrade everything? To me
that's just asking for breakage. So I only manually upgrade the stuff
I feel will be beneficial. Of course, to each his own...

> Unfortunately the "stable" nvidia drivers do not seem to work for me either.

I'm running 6629 with my FX5200. What sort of card are you using?

Steve

Re: Nvidia drivers warning (Gentoo) [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 11 April 2006 10:48 am, Steve Hodge wrote:

> Right, which means any packages you've got set to allow "unstable" are
> going to be upgraded to new unstable versions. You might be better off
> actually specifying the version that works so that it doesn't get
> upgraded.

Correct, which is why /etc/portage/package.keywords
now has these lines...

=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8178-r1
=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r3

> I'm running 6629 with my FX5200. What sort of card are you using?

BoardName "NV43 [GeForce 6200]"

Re: Nvidia drivers warning (Gentoo) [ In reply to ]
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 10:48 am, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
>> Right, which means any packages you've got set to allow "unstable" are
>> going to be upgraded to new unstable versions. You might be better off
>> actually specifying the version that works so that it doesn't get
>> upgraded.
>
> Correct, which is why /etc/portage/package.keywords
> now has these lines...
>
> =media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8178-r1
> =media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r3
>
>> I'm running 6629 with my FX5200. What sort of card are you using?
>
> BoardName "NV43 [GeForce 6200]"

Interesting. I'm currently trialing the latests NVidia drivers with no
issues. Had to make sure I tweaked the XFree86 config file as there are a
couple of interesting enhancements, but nothing major.

Any more detail on your problems?

Steve
Re: Nvidia drivers warning (Gentoo) [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 11 April 2006 6:22 pm, Open Media Support wrote:

> Interesting. I'm currently trialing the latests NVidia drivers with no
> issues. Had to make sure I tweaked the XFree86 config file as there are a
> couple of interesting enhancements, but nothing major.
>
> Any more detail on your problems?

As per my first post....

Today, because my nvidia drivers were the masked versions they were updated to
version 1.0.8756 which then gave me an error in Mythtv - "unable to enable
video" or something like that.

Going back to the previous version fixed the problem.

/etc/portage/package.keywords now has.....
=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8178-r1
=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r3

According to posts at
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-April/132199.html

some settings have to be changed for Xorg to work with the new drivers.

I decided to take the easy way and revert back to a known working
driver/config.