Mailing List Archive

Greetings
Hello there, MythTV users... I'm from New Plymouth, and just joined
the list. I feel I should introduce myself...

My name is James, and my system is a Sempron 2200 with 256MB of RAM,
and a Single Hauppauge PVR-150 TV tuner. I run MythTV 0.19 on
Slackware 10.2.

This setup has been running quite nicely (though I wouldn't mind a
second tuner), although I am having issues where the LiveTV freezes at
the end of a program, which fixes itself if I change channels...

Anyways, after seeing various ways of getting XMLTV EPG data into
mythtv, I thought there might be a nicer way to do it, so I have
created a patch for mythtv -
http://stereocassettedeck.port5.com/other/mythtv-0.19-ontv.patch,
which adds an option to use tv_grab_nz_ontv to the mythtv-setup
program. For those of you that compile mythtv from source, this may
not be worthwhile on an already functioning mythtv system, but if you
need to set up another system in future, this is a somewhat nicer way
of doing things than say... symlinking tv_grab_au to tv_grab_nz_* or
manually downloading and importing the listings.

Re: Greetings [ In reply to ]
James Gray wrote:
> Anyways, after seeing various ways of getting XMLTV EPG data into
> mythtv, I thought there might be a nicer way to do it, so I have
> created a patch for mythtv -
> http://stereocassettedeck.port5.com/other/mythtv-0.19-ontv.patch,
> which adds an option to use tv_grab_nz_ontv to the mythtv-setup
> program. For those of you that compile mythtv from source, this may
> not be worthwhile on an already functioning mythtv system, but if you
> need to set up another system in future, this is a somewhat nicer way
> of doing things than say... symlinking tv_grab_au to tv_grab_nz_* or
> manually downloading and importing the listings.

Cool thanks for that!

However the consensus here is that ontv is a little bit unstable, and that
hairy.geek.nz has much better and more reliable data, as well as lots more
channels.

--
Criggie

RE: Greetings [ In reply to ]
> However the consensus here is that ontv is a little bit unstable, and
> that hairy.geek.nz has much better and more reliable data, as well as
> lots more channels.

It would be nice if there was an 'improved' DVB feed, just for the FTA
channels, using channel names for XMLTV IDs instead of the DVB service IDs.
I'm sure this is a simple script away; David, are you interested in hacking
this, or hosting this if someone else prepares it?

Craig

Re: Greetings [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 09:05 +1200, Criggie wrote:
> However the consensus here is that ontv is a little bit unstable, and that
> hairy.geek.nz has much better and more reliable data, as well as lots more
> channels.

Oh, that reminds me.

I am moving houses, so my dish will be disappearing, so no hairy.geek.nz
EPG data until the dish is sorted out at new house.

Last update will be tonight, next update I would hope is about Friday
next week.

I had hoped to re-arrange it so the hairy.geek.nz machine (which also
has a DVB-S card in it, a spare one) would feed the data itself without
my connection at home, but some complications got in the way of doing
that. If Friday next week looks unlikely for getting the home source
working again, I will hack something up. :)

Sorry for the interruption!

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Re: Greetings [ In reply to ]
David Zanetti wrote:
> Oh, that reminds me.
>
> I am moving houses, so my dish will be disappearing, so no hairy.geek.nz
> EPG data until the dish is sorted out at new house.
>
> Last update will be tonight, next update I would hope is about Friday
> next week.
>
> I had hoped to re-arrange it so the hairy.geek.nz machine (which also
> has a DVB-S card in it, a spare one) would feed the data itself without
> my connection at home, but some complications got in the way of doing
> that. If Friday next week looks unlikely for getting the home source
> working again, I will hack something up. :)
>
> Sorry for the interruption!

Thanks for the warning. Really appreciate the service.

Steve

RE: Greetings [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 10:10 +1200, Craig Box wrote:
> > However the consensus here is that ontv is a little bit unstable, and
> > that hairy.geek.nz has much better and more reliable data, as well as
> > lots more channels.
>
> It would be nice if there was an 'improved' DVB feed, just for the FTA
> channels, using channel names for XMLTV IDs instead of the DVB service IDs.
> I'm sure this is a simple script away; David, are you interested in hacking
> this, or hosting this if someone else prepares it?

I am personally happy to run something if someone has put in the effort
- to that end I have a machine seperate from my home PVR that has a
DVB-S card, and should be able to get a feed, and is hosted somewhere
reliable instead of at home :)

At the moment, I'm somewhat busy to code that myself, tho.

RE: Greetings [ In reply to ]
Robin Gilks has already done a script that converts the feed supplied by
hairy.geek into the format previously supplied by mr.geek. See the
archives for links.

How is it that it matters what the id's are? Once you have it set up they
shouldn't change.

RE: Greetings [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 16:30 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> Robin Gilks has already done a script that converts the feed supplied by
> hairy.geek into the format previously supplied by mr.geek. See the
> archives for links.
>
> How is it that it matters what the id's are? Once you have it set up they
> shouldn't change.

What I'd quite like is something to listen to the EIT constantly, and
push the data into a database, then something which generates selected
packages with the format you want.

But that's a lot of work for something likely to be C&D'd.

RE: Greetings [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 10:10 +1200, Craig Box wrote:
>> > However the consensus here is that ontv is a little bit unstable, and
>> > that hairy.geek.nz has much better and more reliable data, as well as
>> > lots more channels.
>>
>> It would be nice if there was an 'improved' DVB feed, just for the FTA
>> channels, using channel names for XMLTV IDs instead of the DVB service
>> IDs.
>> I'm sure this is a simple script away; David, are you interested in
>> hacking
>> this, or hosting this if someone else prepares it?
>
> I am personally happy to run something if someone has put in the effort
> - to that end I have a machine seperate from my home PVR that has a
> DVB-S card, and should be able to get a feed, and is hosted somewhere
> reliable instead of at home :)
>
> At the moment, I'm somewhat busy to code that myself, tho.

How about this:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/168966

Should be easily hackable to create whatever channel names you like.

--
Robin Gilks

RE: Greetings [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 16:44 +1200, Robin Gilks wrote:
> > I am personally happy to run something if someone has put in the effort
> > - to that end I have a machine seperate from my home PVR that has a
> > DVB-S card, and should be able to get a feed, and is hosted somewhere
> > reliable instead of at home :)
> >
> > At the moment, I'm somewhat busy to code that myself, tho.
> >

> How about this:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/168966
>
> Should be easily hackable to create whatever channel names you like.

I was pondering directly modifying tv_grab_dvb with a copy of the EIT
specs in hand for any clean up work.

But yeah, something which allows people to get data in a couple of
predefined schemas (DVB Service ID works fine for me, BTW) would be
useful..