Mailing List Archive

"New to list" message
As the subscribe email asked, I am doing a brief intro.

At the moment, I'm looking into creating a HTPC. Today has revealed that
it'll be a bit more complicated (isn't it always?) than those flashy
American guides would suggest.

Initially I thought perhaps a pair of PVR-150 cards in a hot-box with a
distinctly not-hot gfx card, but I don't know whether the Sky satellite
dish will hook into the 150. Does anyone know what TV tuner cards support
feeds from the average SkyTV satellite dish?

As I said, I'm new to all this, so I'll probably sit in lurk mode for a
bit. This email is to be polite and do my little intro as asked :)

--
Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth

RE: "New to list" message [ In reply to ]
>Does anyone know what TV tuner cards support feeds from the average
SkyTV satellite dish?

Hi Allan

Welcome to the list.

Yes 150 will work fine with Sky, suggest you start with one only first
until you have got the hang of it otherwise things can get confusing.
I'd highly recommend you start with Knoppmyth as its quick and easy to
get back up and running when something goes wrong.
Check out the knoppmyth wiki here
http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=NZMythConfig
And download from here http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

You will need a serial port based IR Led in order to change the channel
on the Sky Box, there are links at the above knoppmyth page to get you
going but you can get the parts from dick smith or jaycar and make one
in 10 minutes (although getting it to work properly will probably take
you considerably longer).

Cheers
Toby Mills
www.np.co.nz

RE: "New to list" message [ In reply to ]
At 07:09 p.m. 14/03/2006, you wrote:
>Welcome to the list.

Thanks :)

>Check out the knoppmyth wiki here
>http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=NZMythConfig
>And download from here http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

I've got the Atomic Magazine 'AtomicTV' CD with Knoppix and MythTV, will
definitely look at the wiki later!

>You will need a serial port based IR Led in order to change the channel
>on the Sky Box, there are links at the above knoppmyth page to get you
>going but you can get the parts from dick smith or jaycar and make one
>in 10 minutes (although getting it to work properly will probably take
>you considerably longer).

Erm, the Sky box wasn't what I meant, I want to hook the cable from the
dish straight into the computer so, as well as the free to air channels (we
only have Sky for the FTA stuff, can't afford the Sky channels but can't
stand the old aerial any more), I can get the other free to air satellite
stuff. From what I understand, the 150 is an analog tuner, while I need a
digital one for the satellite dish?

Thank you for your reply.

RE: "New to list" message [ In reply to ]
> From what I understand, the 150 is an analog tuner, while I need a
digital one for the satellite dish?

Yip, 150 no good for FTA unless you have an external sat decoder.
Your after a DVB-S card,

Suggest having a look at the list archives for info on what everyone is
using...
There is a group trying to put together a bulk order of cards at the
moment so have a look in the archives for details also...

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/164974?search_stri
ng=DVB-S;#164974

Cheers
Toby

RE: "New to list" message [ In reply to ]
>At 07:09 p.m. 14/03/2006, you wrote:
>>Welcome to the list.
>
>Thanks :)
>
>>Check out the knoppmyth wiki here
>>http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=NZMythConfig
>>And download from here http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html
>
>I've got the Atomic Magazine 'AtomicTV' CD with Knoppix and MythTV,
>will definitely look at the wiki later!
>
>>You will need a serial port based IR Led in order to change the channel
>>on the Sky Box, there are links at the above knoppmyth page to get you
>>going but you can get the parts from dick smith or jaycar and make one
>>in 10 minutes (although getting it to work properly will probably take
>>you considerably longer).
>
>Erm, the Sky box wasn't what I meant, I want to hook the cable from
>the dish straight into the computer so, as well as the free to air
>channels (we only have Sky for the FTA stuff, can't afford the Sky
>channels but can't stand the old aerial any more), I can get the
>other free to air satellite stuff. From what I understand, the 150
>is an analog tuner, while I need a digital one for the satellite
>dish?
>
>Thank you for your reply.

Well you're in a bit of a sticky one then. Only One and TV2 (plus
NasaTV and DWTV) are available via a DVB-S card (which you'd connect
to the Sky Sat Dish via an aerial splitter). You may want to get a
PVR150 (or any analog card) and connect it via S-Video to your Sky
Decoder. That will get you One, TV2, TV3 and C4 and I think Prime.

So you may want to get a DVB-S and a PVR150 card. Plus a IR Blaster
so your Myth box can change the channel on the Sky box.

- Wade