the encrypted channel, and then playing it back via computer -> sky decoder
-> PVR150 -> TV screen.

Corrin

Re: DVB-S output [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:43:01 +1300
Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@go.org.nz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering if anybody had heard of/played with DVB-S output? This came
> about because I was thinking: It is a breach of T/C to decrypt sky yourself,
> but it isn't a breach to record encrypted channels. So, how about recording
> the encrypted channel, and then playing it back via computer -> sky decoder
> -> PVR150 -> TV screen.
>
> Corrin

No problem. The Sky decoder at my house has the video out available as
SCART, composite and UHF. It records with the PVR-150 fine. One day I
will sort out an ir blaster to change channels on the sky box.

At the moment I use sky's "booking" system where the decoder will
switch to a program a few minutes before it comes on. I just have to
hope no-one has left the sky decoder on "mute" or "off".

Re: DVB-S output [ In reply to ]
On 2/26/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@go.org.nz> wrote:
> > Just wondering if anybody had heard of/played with DVB-S output? This came
> > about because I was thinking: It is a breach of T/C to decrypt sky yourself,
> > but it isn't a breach to record encrypted channels. So, how about recording
> > the encrypted channel, and then playing it back via computer -> sky decoder
> > -> PVR150 -> TV screen.
>
> No problem. The Sky decoder at my house has the video out available as
> SCART, composite and UHF. It records with the PVR-150 fine. One day I
> will sort out an ir blaster to change channels on the sky box.

You've misunderstood, I think. Corrin's asking if anyone knows of a
device that can put a DVB-S signal onto a coax cable that can be
plugged into Sky. Essentially the opposite of a DVB-S tuner card. If
such a device were available then potentially we could use a DVB-S
tuner card to record an encrypted Sky channel and then at a later date
play that recording back through the DVB-S output device to the
decoder and then capture the analog output and display it via MythTV
(or whatever). So:
Sky signal->DVB-S tuner->HD when the program is on (but this will be
encrypted so we can't just watch it), and
HD->DVB-S output->Sky signal->Sky decoder->PVR-150 (or other capture
device)->HD->video output device->TV.
A bit convoluted but it would allow us is build a PVR that could
handle Sky's encrypted signals. The real benefit would be the
potential for recording more than one Sky channel at once.

But I don't know of such a DVB-S output device. I'm sure something
exists that is capable of this but I bet it is not cheap and I'd be
suprised if it were as simple as a PCI card.

Steve

Re: DVB-S output [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:35:56 +1300
"Steve Hodge" <stevehodge@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/26/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> > Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@go.org.nz> wrote:
> > > Just wondering if anybody had heard of/played with DVB-S output? This came
> > > about because I was thinking: It is a breach of T/C to decrypt sky yourself,
> > > but it isn't a breach to record encrypted channels. So, how about recording
> > > the encrypted channel, and then playing it back via computer -> sky decoder
> > > -> PVR150 -> TV screen.
> >
> > No problem. The Sky decoder at my house has the video out available as
> > SCART, composite and UHF. It records with the PVR-150 fine. One day I
> > will sort out an ir blaster to change channels on the sky box.
>
> You've misunderstood, I think. Corrin's asking if anyone knows of a
> device that can put a DVB-S signal onto a coax cable that can be
> plugged into Sky. Essentially the opposite of a DVB-S tuner card. If
> such a device were available then potentially we could use a DVB-S
> tuner card to record an encrypted Sky channel and then at a later date
> play that recording back through the DVB-S output device to the
> decoder and then capture the analog output and display it via MythTV
> (or whatever). So:
> Sky signal->DVB-S tuner->HD when the program is on (but this will be
> encrypted so we can't just watch it), and
> HD->DVB-S output->Sky signal->Sky decoder->PVR-150 (or other capture
> device)->HD->video output device->TV.
> A bit convoluted but it would allow us is build a PVR that could
> handle Sky's encrypted signals. The real benefit would be the
> potential for recording more than one Sky channel at once.
>
> But I don't know of such a DVB-S output device. I'm sure something
> exists that is capable of this but I bet it is not cheap and I'd be
> suprised if it were as simple as a PCI card.
>
> Steve

Ahh I get it, record the encrypted signal, and later use the sky box to
decrypt it. Interesting thought. I suppose it depends at what level the
signal is encrypted. And what the sky box internal OS would think about
playing it back.

My head is spinning. What signal is it you are actually recording? An
mpeg stream that has been piped through an encryption program? Do you
get this out of the DVB-S card?

Re: DVB-S output [ In reply to ]
On 2/26/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> Ahh I get it, record the encrypted signal, and later use the sky box to
> decrypt it. Interesting thought. I suppose it depends at what level the
> signal is encrypted. And what the sky box internal OS would think about
> playing it back.
>
> My head is spinning. What signal is it you are actually recording? An
> mpeg stream that has been piped through an encryption program? Do you
> get this out of the DVB-S card?

I'm not sure what sort of signal you'd be recording - I don't know
enough about DVB-S broadcast. I'd guess you'd need to record mpeg TS
at least. But I don't know if that is enough to recreate a broadcast
signal that the Sky decoder could handle. If it's not they you'd need
some other sort of capture device as well as the hypothetical output
device.

I'm sure it's technically doable. I doubt it's doable at anything
approaching a reasonable cost. But I am just guessing.

Steve

Re: DVB-S output [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 22:00 +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 2/26/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> > My head is spinning. What signal is it you are actually recording? An
> > mpeg stream that has been piped through an encryption program? Do you
> > get this out of the DVB-S card?
>
> I'm not sure what sort of signal you'd be recording - I don't know
> enough about DVB-S broadcast. I'd guess you'd need to record mpeg TS
> at least. But I don't know if that is enough to recreate a broadcast
> signal that the Sky decoder could handle. If it's not they you'd need
> some other sort of capture device as well as the hypothetical output
> device.

Should be able to just record the whole TS as-is, and spit it back out
as DVB-S. It's probably not that hard to do, tho I can imagine a PCI
board to do the modulation is not cheap (just because most people don't
need one, not because it's hard).

But, I think that's the easy part. There's other parts I'm not convinced
would be so easily solved.

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration