Mailing List Archive

Fwd: Help spending my brothers $5K on MythTV
On 2/23/06, Steve Hodge <stevehodge@gmail.com> wrote:
> Given how long it took Sky to get MySky out I can't see it happening
> for years. They're still not even broadcasting in 5.1. And until Optus
> D1 replaces B1 they don't have the bandwidth for HDTV. Speaking of D1,
> anyone heard anything about the change over? Like when, and how are
> Sky going to handle it? I know they're installing MySky with dual
> LNBs, presumably for this reason, but what about the rest of us?

From what I was told by Sky[1] earlier this year, only MySky boxes
will handle 5.1 sound. The other decoders don't have the outputs for
it. It seems like Sky won't be providing non MySky decoders if you 5.1
sound. HDTV is still years away for them too. Pity. Foxtel in Aussie
offer both 5.1 and HDTV on standard decoders.

Really object paying $500 for surround sound (and don't intent to!)

-- simon

[1] also on their web site in the MySky FAQ.