Mailing List Archive

EPG icons
(with apologies to thjose on the mythtv-users mailing list who will have
seen this conversation already)

http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/tvcountry/nz.html

To install these download the ones you want to a directory of your
choice, say

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/icons

Then you need to edit the mythtv database to associate the full path to
each icon with the appropriate channel.

You can do this a number of ways:

1. in mythtsetup you can set a path for each channel's icon

2. at the command line you can run mysql and enter the commands by hand
to add the full path to the channel table in the icon field.

3. ditto via a gui mysql editor, or however else you normally edit mysql
tables

4. I think there is a way to do it using mythfilldatabase, if anyone has
made this work, post away.

Enjoy :-)
--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: EPG icons [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the info on icons, Nick.

There is indeed a way to import the icons via mythfilldatabase. On my
initial setup (done with mythfilldatabase --manual), I used an XML file
with just my channel listings, carefully matched to my eventual EPG source
(hairy.geek). The <icon> tag in the XML file is used to point to an icon,
either locally or on the web:

<icon src="http://210.56.39.237/xmltv/logos/tv1_newzealand.jpeg"/>

Here's an example of an entire entry. Populate the XML file with all of
your channels in this manner, and you're pretty much all set:

<channel id="TV1@SkyTV.tv.nz"><display-name
lang="en">TV1</display-name><display-name lang="en">1</display-name><icon
src="http://210.56.39.237/xmltv/logos/tv1_newzealand.jpeg"/></channel>

If the icons are located on the web, they're downloaded and stored locally
the first time mythfilldatabase parses the file.

Re: EPG icons [ In reply to ]
Thanks, so you hand built the initial xml file?

Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: EPG icons [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 13:46 +1300, Dagan Galarneau wrote:
> Here's an example of an entire entry. Populate the XML file with all of
> your channels in this manner, and you're pretty much all set:
>
> <channel id="TV1@SkyTV.tv.nz"><display-name
> lang="en">TV1</display-name><display-name lang="en">1</display-name><icon
> src="http://210.56.39.237/xmltv/logos/tv1_newzealand.jpeg"/></channel>

I had pondered doing this properly when I started to autogenerate the
service ID listings (see http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt ..)

Would there be much interest in having this mostly automatically
generated?

--
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Re: EPG icons [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 13:46 +1300, Dagan Galarneau wrote:
>> Here's an example of an entire entry. Populate the XML file with all of
>> your channels in this manner, and you're pretty much all set:
>>
>> <channel id="TV1@SkyTV.tv.nz"><display-name
>> lang="en">TV1</display-name><display-name
>> lang="en">1</display-name><icon
>> src="http://210.56.39.237/xmltv/logos/tv1_newzealand.jpeg"/></channel>
>
> I had pondered doing this properly when I started to autogenerate the
> service ID listings (see http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt ..)
>
> Would there be much interest in having this mostly automatically
> generated?

Perhaps an minor extension to the script I posted last week - extend the
lookup table to contain the url of the icon so that the <channel> sections
are built correctly.

Hmmm - must post a fix that removes the duplicate TV1 & TV2 (regional Sky
transmissions) entries. When I get home tonight if I remember...

--
Robin Gilks

Re: EPG icons [ In reply to ]
I started with the dump from http://210.56.39.237/xmltv/mytvlistings.asp
which no longer contains program data, but still has a decent channel
listing. I had to make a bunch of edits so it matched the hairy.geek
channel IDs, and it also contained a few outdated channels and was missing
some newer ones. In the end, it probably would have been just as easy to
do it by hand, except for the icon references.

If David or Robin managed to automate it in some fashion, it would make
life easier for everyone doing an initial setup. The icon info only has to
be in there for the first run of mythfilldatabase, but I doubt it would
slow anything down to include it every time.

Re: EPG icons [ In reply to ]

Re: EPG icons [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:29:41 +1300
David Zanetti wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 13:46 +1300, Dagan Galarneau wrote:
> > Here's an example of an entire entry. Populate the XML file with all of
> > your channels in this manner, and you're pretty much all set:
> >
> > <channel id="TV1@SkyTV.tv.nz"><display-name
> > lang="en">TV1</display-name><display-name lang="en">1</display-name><icon
> > src="http://210.56.39.237/xmltv/logos/tv1_newzealand.jpeg"/></channel>
>
> I had pondered doing this properly when I started to autogenerate the
> service ID listings (see http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt ..)
>
> Would there be much interest in having this mostly automatically
> generated?

yes I think so, but first, wouldn't it be better to have this info in
the forst part of your listings.xml file? other xmltv listings i have
seen have a bunch of

<channel id="blah"...

Followed by a bunch of

<programme channel="blah"

With utmost rterspect, yours seems a little muddled. I am not sure if
that is a "feature" of the software you are using, or some sort of
operator error.

Not that I am complaining, but a decent feed that didn't need any
massaging is just what we all want!

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: EPG icons [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 15:09 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:29:41 +1300
> David Zanetti wrote:
> > Would there be much interest in having this mostly automatically
> > generated?
[Why not in listings.xml instead]
> With utmost rterspect, yours seems a little muddled. I am not sure if
> that is a "feature" of the software you are using, or some sort of
> operator error.

To be clear, I scp the _exact_ output of tv_grab_dvb to the site, no
parsing, tidy, etc.

> Not that I am complaining, but a decent feed that didn't need any
> massaging is just what we all want!

Sure, I just scp'd it as one extra step because it was easy, and some is
better than none :)

At some point, I will hack seriously on tv_grab_dvb to do things the way
I want, including naming channels properly and walking all transports to
gather guide data, but that depends on having the time to do so.

I'd like to pull the details into a DB and source the XML from that, but
again, it's a time thing.